It was Keanu Neal no matter what

Romfal

Maybe I'm a cynic but I don't believe Dimitroff here.  There's absolutely no reason for him to say any different at this point.  He wouldn't say, "Well, we wanted these other guys but they were taken so we settled for Neal."  Simply put, GMs are liars by necessity.  They are always going to put a spin on things to make it appear that it's exactly what they wanted.  The thing is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It helps both the player and the team to think that this was the guy all along. 

I don't dislike the player.  I love the player.  I'm just a little angry that we had to use a 17th overall pick to get him. 

3 minutes ago, Mekias said:

Maybe I'm a cynic but I don't believe Dimitroff here.  There's absolutely no reason for him to say any different at this point.  He wouldn't say, "Well, we wanted these other guys but they were taken so we settled for Neal."  Simply put, GMs are liars by necessity.  They are always going to put a spin on things to make it appear that it's exactly what they wanted.  The thing is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It helps both the player and the team to think that this was the guy all along. 

I don't dislike the player.  I love the player.  I'm just a little angry that we had to use a 17th overall pick to get him. 

It's possible he is lying here to cover tracks but it was not a well kept secret that Quinn absolutely loved Neal. I could easily see him being top 5 on our Big Board with the way Quinn values the safety position.

Just now, Artys Arryn said:

It's possible he is lying here to cover tracks but it was not a well kept secret that Quinn absolutely loved Neal. I could easily see him being top 5 on our Big Board with the way Quinn values the safety position.

It's difficult for me.  I like that Quinn has a definite idea about how to do things but how do I reconcile that against all the "draft experts" who had Neal much lower than this.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a ton about these players and I tend to rely heavily on those supposed experts.  When there's a big perceived discrepancy between valuations, it gets harder to rationalize the choice.  We could have really used the extra picks too.  I love trading down in most situations and Dimitroff seems to hate it.

1 minute ago, Mekias said:

It's difficult for me.  I like that Quinn has a definite idea about how to do things but how do I reconcile that against all the "draft experts" who had Neal much lower than this.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a ton about these players and I tend to rely heavily on those supposed experts.  When there's a big perceived discrepancy between valuations, it gets harder to rationalize the choice.  We could have really used the extra picks too.  I love trading down in most situations and Dimitroff seems to hate it.

I really liked Neal, only I liked him at #50, not at #17, I'm starting to warm up a bit to the pick as we go, but for me its was still a reach as of right now, but the kid can definitely have an impact for us. Fits the scheme perfectly, so I can see why we liked him. 

Just now, Mekias said:

Scouting college kids for the NFL is extremely difficult because you have to watch them in a scheme that is likely different from the team they will be going to, while they are also playing against weaker competition than they will face in the NFL. Draft experts watch the tape that is available and make an evaluation based on that. In Neal's case they noticed that he was a physical player but had issues in coverage down the field. Because safeties are typically asked to cover deep, they gave him a grade based on that. However, in our scheme we won't ask him to cover deep, essentially negating his largest flaw. His private work out with us was fantastic because he was given drills designed to gauge his fit in OUR scheme specifically, and apparently he shined. A player can be highly rated on one teams board and relatively lower rated on another teams board and both teams can be right.

1 minute ago, Artys Arryn said:

Scouting college kids for the NFL is extremely difficult because you have to watch them in a scheme that is likely different from the team they will be going to, while they are also playing against weaker competition than they will face in the NFL. Draft experts watch the tape that is available and make an evaluation based on that. In Neal's case they noticed that he was a physical player but had issues in coverage down the field. Because safeties are typically asked to cover deep, they gave him a grade based on that. However, in our scheme we won't ask him to cover deep, essentially negating his largest flaw. His private work out with us was fantastic because he was given drills designed to gauge his fit in OUR scheme specifically, and apparently he shined. A player can be highly rated on one teams board and relatively lower rated on another teams board and both teams can be right.

You speak a lot of sense but it's still hard when everyone was saying we had a chance to get this guy in the 2nd round and we take him in the 1st.  For what it's worth, I seriously doubt he would have been available at pick 50.  Maybe Pittsburgh were going to take him at 25, maybe not.  Regardless, it's done now.  I'm sure I'll love the kid.

10 minutes ago, mumblesjr,jr said:

post a thread yesterday saying DQ wants Neal. not sure why everybody was shocked when atlanta took him

You're confusing shock with disappointment and frustration we didn't get a pass rusher while there were some still left to choose. I'm never shocked when Thomas Dimitroff does something stupid. I'm shocked when he doesn't.

23 minutes ago, Mekias said:

The same experts had Ragland and Jack going in the first round. The only experts to consider are the ones drafting the actual players. Dimitroff said there was little trade interest from other parties. It takes two to dance and if the only offer we got to drop ten spots was a sixth round pick (for example), we did the right thing by grabbing him where we did.

10 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You're confusing shock with disappointment and frustration we didn't get a pass rusher while there were some still left to choose. I'm never shocked when Thomas Dimitroff does something stupid. I'm shocked when he doesn't.

Many of those pass rushers are still on the board. That means that we would have reached to get them at the same spot that we got Neal. The only actual rusher who was drafted after we picked was Lawson, who needs surgery. The primary benefit of drafting Lee would be his coverage ability and hopefully we get similar attributes from Neal (although Lee was much quicker).

1 minute ago, R_The_Great said:

Sounds like a great idea when you want to draft someone. Tell the whole world who you want to pick.  Makes sense

Well it obviously worked out... Not saying it's great to declare who you want. Quinn was just excited to get Neal and said more than he should have.

2 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Well it obviously worked out... Not saying it's great to declare who you want. Quinn was just excited to get Neal and said more than he should have.

It would have worked if raiders grabbed neal and we got Joseph. That was the whole point of publically saying he wanted neal 

1 minute ago, R_The_Great said:

It would have worked if raiders grabbed neal and we got Joseph. That was the whole point of publically saying he wanted neal 

Maybe. Honestly though, I think our FO would have been happy with either Neal or Joseph. I personally preferred Joseph but not by a lot.

I like many others had Neal in my top 20 in the draft game. It dawned on me a week or so ago that if we wanted Neal he would have to be taken at 17. Funny thing is there looks to be a slew of guys we can use that will still make it to 50. I don't want it to be Whitehair though. His BP of 16 reps reminds me too much of weak azz Konz.