Why do fans not understand how SS Neal's skill set helps the pass rush?

gazoo

3 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I love the way people exclaim that Neal is the answer to the pass rush because he's going to cover a safety valve around the LOS. So, what's to prevent the opposing offense from having MORE THAN ONE SAFETY VALVE to dump the ball to? What then? We'll just let Neal cover both players? LOL smmfh.

And even if Neal covers his guy like a blanket, so what? What's to prevent some other receiver from getting open because we still don't have a decent pass rush? If the opposing QB still has 15 minutes to find an open guy, what tf good is Neal? He's not even that good at coverage to begin with, he's just a big hitter who often misses his big hits and gives up unnecessary yards. Stupid pick by stupid people.

I don't hate the pick, but you make some great points.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Instead of honestly assessing all the information and then drawing conclusions, many didn't get what they determined was who we should and lash out emotionally, facts be dammed.

in this case you are correct to ask" if not him at 17, then who"  based on the reality of who was left on the board.

wasn't a bad pick but some of the fanspeak is freaking insane.

41 minutes ago, QuantumZebra said:

I think Quinn's take (and my take along with others) is this:

We were tops in the league in hurries... if we take away dump-offs to TE and RBs in the flats with good safety play (and hopefully LB play) then those hurries turn into sacks.

Actually I think he wants the opposite.  I think the defense is designed to force the QB to make those quick dump offs in hope that the RB ot te can turn nothing into something.  We just need players that can be there to make the tackles for losses or no gain.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

The first time Neal lays a bone jarring hit on Greg Olsen causing a fumble and Olsen to grow alligator arms the rest of the game the fanbase will fall in love with him.

We haven't had a guy who consistently hit like this since Scott Case. Willy Mo was terribly inconsistent and only laid an occasional big hit. Neal is a certified headhunter and causes ball separation upon vicious impacts.

Neal is honestly inconsistent as well. Goes for the big hit most of the time and ends up whiffing or over pursuing.

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

So maybe Collins is Revis then?

Comparing a draft pick to an All-Pro?  Apples and oranges.  Now another draft pick is "not the guy you are mistaking him to be".  How does one know that?

17 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

What edge rushers were on the board that truly had that "WOW" factor?  Lawson is injured.  Ogbah didn't get sniffed in the 1st round. Same with Dodd.

I hate to tell you but Joey Bosa got picked at 3.  Floyd at 10 or 11.  Just because you could use another pass rusher doesn't mean you just pick one.

You sound like a scout. I don't know what Dan Quinn's plans are to increase the number of sacks on the team, I haven't evaluated potential draft picks. I'm  speaking purely as a fan that felt the defense would get better by adding a edge rusher. The team isn't going to listen to me, and my job isn't on the line. If Neal and Bishop can generate more sacks great, and  if not, I will feel like I did when  I felt the team needed edge rushers like Avril and Bennet and Dimitroff added DT's like Solei, Jackson, and Haggeman.

The common denominater being Dimitroff went into the offseason needing edge rushers and didn't add a single edge rusher.

Sorta like deja 'vu if you will. Oh He added Ray Edwards

Edited by joe_fishback
Left something out

On April 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM, kiwifalcon said:

Who would that have been at 17.

Is the draft over yet.There is still an opportunity to add what you crave.

This pass rush class is the weakest in years but I'll bet that will get convieniently forgotten if we don't get what you want.

Unbelieveable.

That's exactly it, there was no one at 17 that could have helped our pass rush more than Neal.

It's a miracle!

The Falcons would be the first team in the history of the NFL to build a pass rush from the outside in. I can see Strong Safeties commanding the highest NFL contracts soon and this "pass rusher" fad to disappear. 

They are going to put guys in the Hall of Fame soon for leading the league in "QB pressures" and "QB hops" and "QB jumps." Sacks are overrated. 

14 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

It's a miracle!

The Falcons would be the first team in the history of the NFL to build a pass rush from the outside in. I can see Strong Safeties commanding the highest NFL contracts soon and this "pass rusher" fad to disappear. 

They are going to put guys in the Hall of Fame soon for leading the league in "QB pressures" and "QB hops" and "QB jumps." Sacks are overrated. 

I knew this would be too complicated for some posters to understand.

Just now, gazoo said:

I knew this discussion would be over some posters heads.

I ain't no expert but allz I know is this - there hasn't been a great Defense EVER that did not have multiple pass rushers AND Pro-Bowl level play-making MLB/ILBs. Even the Seahawks D that we are supposed to emulate, made its name with multiple sack masters like Bennett, Avril and Irvin as well as an All Pro MLB in Bobby Wagner. 

No good D is built with the DBs and gaps at MLB or DE

On 4/29/2016 at 10:31 AM, R_The_Great said:

This is blind hope. You want neal to save us by covering tight ends and running backs? First off neal can Only cover one guy at a time so in theory we need 2 other guys with neals skill set just to cover.  Secondly, no human in the world can cover a receiver for long amounts of time. If the d line can't beat their man due to lack of talent than your already beat in the passing game. Falcons biggest problem since 2009 is their lack of penetration from the d line. You could have legion of boom behind this d line and it still wouldn't matter

I think you missed the picture here. We were still top in the League in QB Hurries and hits but last in Sacks. Why is that? It's not the fact that we can't get to the QB because obviously we are. It's because the TEs and RBs run delayed routs they block and then run out and the balls there and we get ate up from that. DE isn't what we needed We have a good D line regardless of what you THINK. We needed a Good Safety that will cause disruption. The TEs and RB will think twice before catching that ball because our safety is going to be there to lay the hammer down. No to mention we got 2 Speedy LBers for the coverage. So they won't beable to just kick it down to eat us up. The QB will either be sacked or throw it away or force it for an int. It's simple, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what they are doing and they are doing it right. Solid draft. I'm happy with it and happy we didn't take a shot on jaylon or the other guy. Rather have starters now not later with risk. The FO have filled the holes and we got what we needed. The Teams stacked and I'm content. 

21 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

I ain't no expert but allz I know is this - there hasn't been a great Defense EVER that did not have multiple pass rushers AND Pro-Bowl level play-making MLB/ILBs. Even the Seahawks D that we are supposed to emulate, made its name with multiple sack masters like Bennett, Avril and Irvin as well as an All Pro MLB in Bobby Wagner. 

No good D is built with the DBs and gaps at MLB or DE

The 72 dolphins Had only one pass rusher. They Had great LBers and good DBs and corners. It's also worth noting they had the easiest schedule recorded as there opponents equaled to about .396% winning percent that year and .325% the year before that. So The statement is wrong. Ben was there leading sacker as there others had 5 tops. So How did they do what they did with one good pass rusher and still set def records? Explain 

1 minute ago, Aries2887 said:

The 72 dolphins Had only one pass rusher. They Had great LBers and good DBs and corners. It's also worth noting they had the easiest schedule recorded as there opponents equaled to about .396% winning percent that year and .325% the year before that. So The statement is wrong. Ben was there leading sacker as there others had 5 tops. So How did they do what they did with one good pass rusher and still set def records? Explain 

Since you are a good historian, do you know of any great D that did not have a pass rush AND had bums at MLB? 

I draw comfort from the fact that we can now emulate the greatest team in NFL history.

36 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

Since you are a good historian, do you know of any great D that did not have a pass rush AND had bums at MLB? 

I draw comfort from the fact that we can now emulate the greatest team in NFL history.

Didn't I just name the best defense in history that set records on least passing yards allowed, least points allowed. The Offense ran for 200 per game average. Had 2 1000 yards backs, most ints by a safety but only had 1.... one.... only one single good pass rusher and one good Lber all the rest was alright at best and yes our current team would stomp them right now. The team played well TOGETHER. They were good as a group but only 3 stood out that year, a tackle, a safety, and a DE no others... well they had 3 good backs as well. But a good Oline helped alot.... no.... not good a oline that played well together and got the job done. 

Edited by Aries2887

1 minute ago, Aries2887 said:

Didn't I just name the best defense in history that set records on least passing yards allowed, least points allowed. The Offense ran for 200 per game average. Had 2 1000 yards backs, most ints by a safety but only had 1.... one.... only one single good pass rusher and one good Lber all the rest was alright at best and yes our current team would stomp them right now. The team played well TOGETHER. They were good as a group but only 3 stould out that year, a tackle, a safety, and a DE no others... well they had 3 good backs as well. But a good Oline helped alot.... no.... not good a oline that played well together and got the job done. 

So the 72 Dolphins had no pass rush AND no good MLBs.

Seems legit

40 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

So the 72 Dolphins had no pass rush AND no good MLBs.

Seems legit

They had one guy other then that yeah pretty much... they also had the top 5 easiest schedule of all time as well. Weigh it how you like.