Why do fans not understand how SS Neal's skill set helps the pass rush?

gazoo

Last year we were 7th in the NFL in hurries with a whopping 111 hurries  http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/total-team-defensive-hurries/2015/    yet we were at bottom of league is sacks with 19. I think Beasely had something like 22 hurries last year.

The question becomes, why such a gross disparity between us being at top of NFL in hurries and being at bottom of the league in sacks? In answering this question you will find the reason why Quinn said Neal helps our pass rush.

QBs for far too long have been able to dump off the ball quickly to a RB or a TE if the Falcons pass rush is on them  (thus a hurry) The Falcons worked out Neal and tested his skills of hitching onto RBs and TEs, starting at or near the LOS, sneaking out of backfield to catch EASY short passes and bail the QB out from getting sacked. Neal excelled at this, with smooth flexible hips and ability to latch onto them.  He's tall at 6'1" with long arms, great vertical, smooth hips and can effectively cover these guys in the short zone, this in my opinion was the single biggest weakness to our defense last year.

The answer is yes, Neal absolutely helps our pass rush with his ability to take the opposition QBs prime escape valve over the years away and now we'll see several of those hurries being converted to sacks.

Another thing some fans do is question his coverage skills yet ignore HOW we will use him. We aren't asking him to drop into a cover2 deep zone and be the last line of defense in the vast expanse of the deep open field, he's going to be a box safety, up on the LOS hitching onto receivers sneaking out of the backfield in a short zone which Quinn said he was excellent at when they brought him here for a workout. The way Quinn uses his SS makes Neal a PERFECT scheme fit.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

They don't understand because they think that "pass rush" solely relies on the guys on the line with their hands in the dirt. I was going to say the same thing about the RB and TE dump offs that have killed us for years and negated our pass rush; but your post, gazoo, already explained that. Nice. Neal's skillset, like you said, gives us better coverage on those da#n TEs and RBs.

I heard quinn say that yesterday. If he can excell in coverage. And turns out to be the next cam chancellor.Everyone here would be cool with the pick.

I do like his physicality. He will definitely be a tone setter for the secondary. I don't have a problem with the pick. 

I thought we could have gotten and extra pick with him.

Maybe they were afraid he would not last in the early 20's. 

2 minutes ago, krammmit said:

I almost never agree with you but in this case you nailed it. I agree completely. There is no chance for a pass rush when the QB gets the ball out before 3 seconds.

And that's what killed the defense last season. We hardly ever got beat deep, it was all the short dump offs that we could not stop.

25 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The answer is yes, Neal absolutely helps our pass rush with his ability to take the opposition QBs prime escape valve over the years away and now we'll see several of those hurries being converted to sacks.

0940462Z7-10.jpg

Edited by MACK_AttACK

19 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Just wanted to separate this out of the article, because I'm sure it'll get lost. 

Yep!

That, to me and based on those numbers alone, indicates that the pressure was getting to the QB but the short coverage on those da#n TE and RB dump offs slaughtered us. Those dump offs have been a sword (not a thorn) in our side for centuries. 

I won't go out on any limb and say the Falcons pass rush is now fixed at this time. I am all for any player that can help so glad to see this as a positive step in that direction. 

Now I just hope I don't see QBs texting out who is about to get the ball before they even think about the throw. Like I saw going on last year. It sure felt like some QBs had all day to throw the ball. 

So what do yall think the hurries and sack numbers are going to look like this year?

This is blind hope. You want neal to save us by covering tight ends and running backs? First off neal can Only cover one guy at a time so in theory we need 2 other guys with neals skill set just to cover.  Secondly, no human in the world can cover a receiver for long amounts of time. If the d line can't beat their man due to lack of talent than your already beat in the passing game. Falcons biggest problem since 2009 is their lack of penetration from the d line. You could have legion of boom behind this d line and it still wouldn't matter

5 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

From everything i read and heard Neal is very raw in coverage. So that is an area i hope he improves in during the season. But he seem like a stud in the run game 

Again, he's not going to be out in the vast expanse of the outfield being the last line of defense for half of the field like he would in a cover 2.  

We run a 3 deep coverage scheme that keeps our SS up on the LOS attacking the ball carrier almost like a linebacker but also  hooking onto RBs and TEs in a short zone sneaking out of the backfield, and he excels at this. He's 6'1" with 33" arms and has a wicked vertical and smooth hips to transition to coverage , dude has a perfect skill set for what we ask him to do.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Just wanted to separate this out of the article, because I'm sure it'll get lost. 

Yeah, this was key to what I wanted to draft.  This, combined with our pretty good corner coverage, usually indicates you need a DT (to prevent the QB stepping up) and LB/S (to prevent the cheap easy passes).

48 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I think most people get the general concept, which is why LB and S were in most mocks.

But this isn't a coverage safety, so people could just not be good with the specific player.

"But this isn't a coverage safety"

as as if all defenses ask exactly same thing of their SS in coverage. Neal was signed to be a box safety.

*smh*

I'm gonna bring up one point that backs this while pick completely up... first game against Saints last year Ben freaking old man Watson 10 catches 127 yards... we held the rest of the team in Check but couldn't cover the safety valve all day... we would killed dree Brees that day if he didn't have that bail out

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

This isn't Ed Reed. Dude is not a paragon and isn't great in coverage. I like the pick, but please.

Yeah, but KOG, you know he doesn't have to be to make an impact.  You know in that cover 3 his job is going to be pretty straightforward.  He's in that flat, or buzzing down in that hook zone to knock the **** out of someone.  

I haven't read through all these threads, but I hope no one around here is expecting him to be Reed.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah, but KOG, you know he doesn't have to be to make an impact.  You know in that cover 3 his job is going to be pretty straightforward.  He's in that flat, or buzzing down in that hook zone to knock the **** out of someone.  

I haven't read through all these threads, but I hope no one around here is expecting him to be Reed.

No just Kam.