Falcons knew Keanu Neal could hit, but his coverage skills sold them

Falcons knew Keanu Neal could hit, but his coverage skills sold them

11:04 AM ET

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons knew he could hit. That was evident from the film Keanu Neal put out during his time at the University of Florida.

But what about in coverage? How would he fare?

A private workout during the pre-draft process answered any concerns for the Falcons had before they made Neal the NFL draft's 17th overall selection.

As part of a 45-minute session alongside Falcons coach Dan Quinn and secondary coach Marquand Manuel, Neal went through a series of drills that focused on his coverage ability in the Cover 3 scheme.

"They tested my backing and breaking from cone to cone,'' Neal said. "Once I finished that, I did some stuff specific to their defense and what they do with the strong safety. One of the drills was like busting to the flat and being able to get there by knowing the specifics of the defense and reacting to the quarterback -- if he's looking toward me I've got to go a certain place, and if he's looking away I've got to go a certain place. Also, if he's breaking me deep, I've got to turn my hips and open up.

"While they did some stuff in the flat, they also did some stuff with me playing in the hook [zone], playing the strong hook and breaking on the quarterback, just to see how fast I react and how fast I can cover ground.''

Neal obviously impressed, which is why the Falcons felt comfortable selecting him in the first round despite him having a second-round grade, according to ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay. Quinn expects Neal to be an immediate impact starter.

A large part of Quinn's confidence in Neal has to do with the coverage skills Neal displayed during that private workout.

"You love to see the guy play in the zone defense, and he played in the middle of the field a lot at Florida, so it's not the same scheme that we employ here,'' Quinn noted. "So we wanted to make sure the ball skills, the movement stuff -- at the workout, you can ask him to have the exact movements he's going to have.''

Quinn firmly believes Neal should help improve the Falcons' ability to cover tight ends. Remember, former Saints tight end Benjamin Watson, at age 34, had a 10-catch, 127-yard, one-touchdown performance against the Falcons in Week 6 last season. And seven different tight ends -- Larry Donnell (Giants), C.J. Fiedorowicz (Texans), Derek Carrier (Redskins), Cameron Brate (Buccaneers), Garrett Celek (49ers), Ed Dickson (Panthers)and Watson had touchdown receptions against the Falcons a year ago, including two apiece by Celek and Watson.

Moving forward, the Falcons have to contend with one of the league's best tight ends twice a year in Carolina's Greg Olsen along with New Orleans newcomer Coby Fleener and Tampa Bay's Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

"Tight ends and [running] backs, that strong safety, that's primarily where we feature him,'' Quinn said. "And when we play those kinds of downs, we have to play really tight, aggressive coverage. You've got to know the matchups that you have at tight end. So, you've got to have a guy who has some length -- whether it's arm length or jumping ability -- that length to be able to defend when guys are running option routes. And he has the ability to do that.''

The 6-foot-1-inch, 211-pound Neal has a 38-inch vertical and 32 3/4-inch arm length.

"I'm a bigger safety,'' Neal said. "But I'm as fast as the smaller guys. I'm as quick as the smaller guys. So, just being a bigger body, being able to handle those guys and not be bullied by big guys in the league, that helps me out a lot.''

In terms of defending the run and playing fast and physical, Quinn had no doubts at all about Neal.

"I knew the hitter was there,'' Quinn said. "And you can see that on the tape. You just pop the tape on and it comes alive.''

Quinn was asked how Neal compares to Seahawks strong safety Kam Chancellor, who thrived playing Quinn's defensive scheme in Seattle.

"I won't say ... that's a hard guy to compare to, to live up to that standard,'' Quinn said. "But what I can tell you is that on the field, this is an aggressive player. And I love that style. And I know that's what makes zone defense come to life; where guys who are going to catch the ball down in a zone, they better get hit and [the defender] comes there with some bad intentions. On tape, he brings that.''

Neal, who mentioned guys such as the late Sean Taylor, Earl Thomas, Ronnie Lott and Chancellor as hard-hitting safeties he always liked, doesn't want to pattern his game after anyone specifically.

"As far as modeling my game after, I don't model my game after anyone,'' Neal said. "I'm my own player. I want to be the best `me' I can be.''

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/20301/falcons-knew-keanu-neal-could-hit-but-his-coverage-skills-sold-them

Good read.  Safeties are so important if you are going to base out of a Cover 3 because those seams are always vulnerable and the SS is usually the robber to disrupt the tight ends in that intermediate area.  

From the article, Quinn feels comfortable that Neal can execute what they want to do.  I'm anxious to see what it looks like.

Fatboi was breaking it down pretty good a few days ago when he was equating the thought process to how the Spurs build their roster.  It's about having a strong philosophy and scheme in place and building to that with specific types of players instead of just going after big names.

2 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

To those still wondering if he'll play FS or LB, you have your answer. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love around here for nuance; most want it colored in black or white.  But in this scheme, the Strong Safety is a lot times used as a 4th linebacker, so he has to have those characteristics.  That's what allowed Seattle to run so many different fronts.  Now I don't expect him to set the edge, or take on pulling guards like Kam Chancellor does in Seattle, but I expect he's going to be doing a little bit of everything.

Dan Quinn sounds extremely sure about this pick. That gives me confidence. 

Funny thing is....I didn't like Neal until two days ago when I watched the same game I had seen many times before. This time I saw something different and it was his pursuit withiut giving up bad angles.

He's tailor made for the role he would play. I also recognized the coverage issues I had with him was deeper routes and thats not a major concern which aligns with the pieces of this article.

That actually makes me feel somewhat better.

The hardest thing about drafting, is translating what people did in a different scheme, against inferior competition...to what it will be like in the NFL.

If they have specific drills that show them the guy can cover the area he needs to, and they know how fast our guys last year covered it...it gives them a good baseline.

Don't love the pick, but this makes me feel better about it.

Short dump off passes to RBs and TEs have literally OWNED us over the last few years (anyone who says any differently is just being contrary for contrariness sake), so if this guy can come in here and clean some of that up, then he has already earned his #1 pick in my book.

5 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

Short dump off passes to RBs and TEs have literally OWNED us over the last few years (anyone who says any differently is just being contrary for contrariness sake), so if this guy can come in here and clean some of that up, then he has already earned his #1 pick in my book.

Amen..........

11 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

Preach!

1 hour ago, insight said:

I hope this are not the same drill the put Jalen Collins through. I really hope Quinn is right on this one, he needs to be above average in coverage to improve the defense if not Willy Mo all over again. 

All db's go thru the same basic drills then  they go thru scheme specific drill. They put Neil thru a safety drill in cover 3. Collins drills were from the corner position in cover 3. Which all the corner does in cover 3 is bail. Collins never had issues in cover 3 bail. His problems were curls and comebacks, which is the weakness of cover 3 anyway along with the seam. That's why Neil will be such a good pickup for us with his coverage ability. He can break on those curls comebacks, flats on rb's, the seam when a TE is on the seam etc...I like the pick actually. Even tho I wanted a LB at that spot but I wasn't gonna be mad if it was a safety. I think we still grab a LB in 2 or 3. 

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Good read.  Safeties are so important if you are going to base out of a Cover 3 because those seams are always vulnerable and the SS is usually the robber to disrupt the tight ends in that intermediate area.  

From the article, Quinn feels comfortable that Neal can execute what they want to do.  I'm anxious to see what it looks like.

Fatboi was breaking it down pretty good a few days ago when he was equating the thought process to how the Spurs build their roster.  It's about having a strong philosophy and scheme in place and building to that with specific types of players instead of just going after big names.

Absolutely. As long as Quinn sticks to his guns on what he needs to make his system work we'll see the results on the field and not just in a name brand player per se.  I like the fact that he's a bigger safety that can break like a smaller player. That will REALLY help the coverage and the pass rush. 

49 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

^This

1 hour ago, crimsonhawk said:

td1.gif

cover1saints1.0.gif

NO MORE