Steelers Scouting Report - Keanu Neal

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I read something from their GM saying he wasn't concerned because Lawson checked out ok with their medical staff. However, it was mentioned that while he is fully expected to play a ton & be a starter this year, he very likely could need to have surgery after the season & spend 4-6 months rehabbing after that.

How bad is it if he can play?  Beasley played pretty well with his shoulder.  I mean, there is always risk with injuries or getting injured.  I want to be real happy with the Neal pick and then Lawson will be an afterthought. 

he was scouting him as a single hjgh safety Neal in our scheme will be close to the Los worrying about running backs tight ends and blitzing. Once he gets his instincts then he might be in that polamalu role where be basically free lances and goes single high when hisngut tells him. But for our scheme we have big balls to play free safety.

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

How bad is it if he can play?  Beasley played pretty well with his shoulder.  I mean, there is always risk with injuries or getting injured.  I want to be real happy with the Neal pick and then Lawson will be an afterthought. 

Hard to say...

From the way Lawson talks about it, it sounds really similar to something like what Beasley was dealing with. However, there was some mention that Lawson's issue might be a chronic thing,,, meaning it'll start getting much harder for him to deal with as he gets older... especially since he goes all out on every play apparently... and he may need to have more frequent surgeries done in time.

Just now, k-train said:

Hard to say...

From the way Lawson talks about it, it sounds really similar to something like what Beasley was dealing with. However, there was some mention that Lawson's issue might be a chronic thing,,, meaning it'll start getting much harder for him to deal with as he gets older... especially since he goes all out on every play apparently... and he may need to have more frequent surgeries done in time.

Chronic and football do not go together well usually.  I wish him the best except when we play the Bills.  

38 minutes ago, high impact said:

Yeah so now we are looking at two more years without an improvement in the pass rush. I am ok with what ever they do in the draft. I just won't be happy until I see this team get after the QB. So how is the pass rush going to be this year?

I think many have forgotten how badly we were getting beat up in the 5 to 10 yard range.  Really doesn't matter who we have rushing the passe if we're giving away freebie 2 second first downs over and over

5 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I think many have forgotten how badly we were getting beat up in the 5 to 10 yard range.  Really doesn't matter who we have rushing the passe if we're giving away freebie 2 second first downs over and over

Yeah teams killed the Falcons with passes to the TE and RB. Most on here has said because Atlanta LBs can't cover them.

Edited by high impact

45 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You are aware last year  the Steelers often dropped both safeties way off the LOS in cover 2 often and we play a 3 deep zone where our SS plays up near the line and will pick up a RB or TE in coverage on passing.  Totally a different the way each defense uses their SS. Sure, if I were Steelers I would not have wanted him either in 1st round as he's not a perfect scheme fit as he is here in Atlanta.

i don't think many fans have any understanding of the importance our defense places on having a versitile SS that can not only square up and make explosive, sure tackles near the line to prevent cheap yards and cheap 1st downs being picked up, but also who has the hip movement and athleticism  to cover TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. This was one of the weakest parts of our defense last year.

Yep. Also in the nickel, that we play most of the time, he will be a 3rd LB at times coming up to support the run.

23 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Benjamin Freakin' Watson beat us like AP's kids.  Neal helps with that. 

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Yep. Also in the nickel, that we play most of the time, he will be a 3rd LB at times coming up to support the run.

Very good point, and this is yet another area where he excels.  We needed a SURE tackler, a SS who can close on the ball carrier and stop him in his tracks immediately for our nickle package WHICH WE PLAY OFTEN. 

These are reasons why IN QUINNS SCHEME the SS is such a critical piece and why Neal is such a perfect match for our scheme.

bottom line: Neal's skill set is a perfect match at SS for Quinns defensive scheme.  

Here I will put a positive spin on this. Neal comes in and helps stop the RB and TE from catching the underneath options. Forcing the QB to hold the ball longer giving the existing front seven the time they need to take the QB down. Along with the second year in DQs system will produce way better results in the Falcons sack totals along with QB pressures.

27 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Also, one thing that kept us from getting more sacks was the QBs ability to dump off to the RB or TE when the pass rush was getting on him. If we take away that easy quick dump off under pressure, we get more sacks.

1 hour ago, high impact said:

Yeah, that was who I wanted. Some how I get this sinking feeling that the Falcons will be picking closer to the number 1 spot in the draft this coming year. The Falcons front seven needs to pick it up this year.

In that case Quinn will be fired.