Three More Meaningful Picks

King Jigsaw

Round 1, Pick 17 - Keanu Neal, SS, Florida

• This pick came straight from Dan Quinn, once again shrouding the crowded Falcons FO in mystery as to who wears the pants when it comes to making draft decisions. TD gets the blame, Pioli gets the title, yet this seems like a DQ pick. Neal is fast and physical and is an automatic upgrade over anyone we would have started at Strong Safety before that pick was made. Blank has put the pressure on us to draft immediate starters and Neal definitely will be one come day 1.

Round 2, Pick 50 - Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State

• I look at all the defensive talent still on the board and wonder who the Falcons covet from the group. Su'a Cravens? Jon Bullard? Ogbah? It's possible we don't add any front seven help in the second round and instead choose to upgrade the offensive guard spot with pick 50. If Hunter Henry is available I'll strongly pray he's the pick, but Westerman or Whitehair would be a day one starter at Right Guard and that would solidify our offensive line in a very big way.

Round 3, Pick 81 - Deion Jones, LB, LSU

• After passing on Darron Lee in the first round in favor of Keanu Neal, we saw the speedy linebacker we were known to cover go to the Jets instead. We still have a need to improve our group of linebackers and the value is right in the third round to find some help. Jones is an aggressive tackler with 4.3 speed, though he only has one year of starting experience under his belt so there is going to be a learning curve.

Round 4, Pick 101 - Jerrell Adams, TE, South Carolina

• Adams has been a name talked about a lot and I don't really think he'll be there at the start of day three but if he does sit their Saturday morning I can see us packaging next year's 5th to move up to the top of the round for the right to select one of the more underrated prospects at the position. Adams has the receiving ability that we need and this pick would stop us from relying on Toilolo in the instance of a Tamme injury.

Really this is just an exercise in projecting. Rather than watching the first round and condemning the whole draft, take a look at the prospects still available and notice that there are still plenty of ways to upgrade this team. Just because we didn't follow a specific poster's formula for which positions picked in which round does not mean we are not upgrading our roster this weekend and I don't think the Falcons are done adding valuable pieces.

4 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

Round 1, Pick 17 - Keanu Neal, SS, Florida

• This pick came straight from Dan Quinn, once again shrouding the crowded Falcons FO in mystery as to who wears the pants when it comes to making draft decisions. TD gets the blame, Pioli gets the title, yet this seems like a DQ pick. Neal is fast and physical and is an automatic upgrade over anyone we would have started at Strong Safety before that pick was made. Blank has put the pressure on us to draft immediate starters and Neal definitely will be one come day 1.

Round 2, Pick 50 - Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State

• I look at all the defensive talent still on the board and wonder who the Falcons covet from the group. Su'a Cravens? Jon Bullard? Ogbah? It's possible we don't add any front seven help in the second round and instead choose to upgrade the offensive guard spot with pick 50. If Hunter Henry is available I'll strongly pray he's the pick, but Westerman or Whitehair would be a day one starter at Right Guard and that would solidify our offensive line in a very big way.

Round 3, Pick 81 - Deion Jones, LB, LSU

• After passing on Darron Lee in the first round in favor of Keanu Neal, we saw the speedy linebacker we were known to cover go to the Jets instead. We still have a need to improve our group of linebackers and the value is right in the third round to find some help. Jones is an aggressive tackler with 4.3 speed, though he only has one year of starting experience under his belt so there is going to be a learning curve.

Round 4, Pick 101 - Jerrell Adams, TE, South Carolina

• Adams has been a name talked about a lot and I don't really think he'll be there at the start of day three but if he does sit their Saturday morning I can see us packaging next year's 5th to move up to the top of the round for the right to select one of the more underrated prospects at the position. Adams has the receiving ability that we need and this pick would stop us from relying on Toilolo in the instance of a Tamme injury.

Really this is just an exercise in projecting. Rather than watching the first round and condemning the whole draft, take a look at the prospects still available and notice that there are still plenty of ways to upgrade this team. Just because we didn't follow a specific poster's formula for which positions picked in which round does not mean we are not upgrading our roster this weekend and I don't think the Falcons are done adding valuable pieces.

When you look at who they have spent time with they may like Spriggs if he makes it to us in the 2nd.

I just don't see the rush for TE now, Tamme is very solid. I think he's the most overlooked/underrated player on the roster. I'd like to see them really bolster the D, with maybe a G also. TE could be addressed next year, Tamme's more than fine for this year.

11 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

I just don't see the rush for TE now, Tamme is very solid. I think he's the most overlooked/underrated player on the roster. I'd like to see them really bolster the D, with maybe a G also. TE could be addressed next year, Tamme's more than fine for this year.

For me the rush isn't TE per se as it is which pick makes the entire team better. Picking a mediocre pass rusher to add to our rotation doesn't move the needle much for me.  

Hunter Henry can be our Jason Witten which unlocks all our other offensive weapons and also adds a bigger, quicker,  more athletic red zone presence. Matt needed that last year. 

Edited by ramonezy

7 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

For me the rush isn't TE per se as it is which pick makes the entire team better. Hunter Henry can be our Jason Witten which unlocks all our other offensive weapons and also adds a bigger, quicker,  more athletic red zone presence. Matt needed that last year. 

True, and a good point. For me though, there's still DT and LBer talent out there that the team needs desperately. IMO more so than TE, with Tamme being a solid player. Good point though, just a difference in opinion

49 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

True, and a good point. For me though, there's still DT and LBer talent out there that the team needs desperately. IMO more so than TE, with Tamme being a solid player. Good point though, just a difference in opinion

The reason I think TE gets so much love is because there's room on the depth chart for one and and Matt could use a young seam-splitter as a weapon. We have d-line talent already. Babs, Hageman, Grady, Shelby, Beasley, TJax, Clayborn, Mbu.. We have bodies and none of them are major liabilities. Any rookie that comes in to the dline at this point is waiting in line for reps and Blank said he wants starters now. Hunter Henry isn't waiting for anything.

If Henry is there at 50, I think he needs to be the pick. He's the best overall TE of the bunch, and can be a redzone threat for us. This takes pressure off Jones to be the only player getting targets in the endzone. This essentially gives us 3 big targets for scoring Jones 6'3, Sanu- 6'2", and Henry 6'5". Adding Henry will also allow for bigger mismatches for defenses.

If you want Deion Jones we'll have to take him in the 2nd. Just like we had to with Neal in the 1st. I'm hoping Dodd or Ogbah are there but if not reach for Jones here. And then still go defense in the 3rd.

BTW. . Drafttek has us getting Myles Jack at 50.

2 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

The reason I think TE gets so much love is because there's room on the depth chart for one and and Matt could use a young seam-splitter as a weapon. We have d-line talent already. Babs, Hageman, Grady, Shelby, Beasley, TJax, Clayborn, Mbu.. We have bodies and none of them are major liabilities. Any rookie that comes in to the dline at this point is waiting in line for reps and Blank said he wants starters now. Hunter Henry isn't waiting for anything.

More QB pressure from the team would be nice, as would better LBer play. Those are issues that could use more attention. With all the D talent this year, they could draft a TE next year. I still believe Tamme is very solid, and believe MR has more faith in him now and will probably use him more next year.

Edited by gp_74

3 hours ago, gp_74 said:

This.