Remember when Chancellor held out?

maxatlanta

That Seattle defense was falling apart. Clearly that is a vital role in this defensive scheme. Neal has the leadership traits to qb our defense. His hitting stands for itself. And conveniently, his weakness is playing in space, while we will have him down in the box. I can see how DQ would feel this role was his top priority to fill. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part about the draft is seeing the dozen of so negative posters who always complain about everything come out to complain about everything.  Neal filled a need on Defense, and obviously was the BPA for the Falcons at that pick according to the team.  Nobody picked after him really wowed me, and there are plenty of dudes left to get another starter on the front 7 in the second round.

The problem is, the people complaining are guys who didn't get one of three things:

1) their guy

2) a name guy

3) validation for their own GM plans where we trade back 10 spots, get 5 draft picks, and draft a guy that 3 teams in between wanted.

Screw em, I don't throw stones at the special bus, I just feel sympathy for the driver.

26 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

The best part about the draft is seeing the dozen of so negative posters who always complain about everything come out to complain about everything.  Neal filled a need on Defense, and obviously was the BPA for the Falcons at that pick according to the team.  Nobody picked after him really wowed me, and there are plenty of dudes left to get another starter on the front 7 in the second round.

The problem is, the people complaining are guys who didn't get one of three things:

1) their guy

2) a name guy

3) validation for their own GM plans where we trade back 10 spots, get 5 draft picks, and draft a guy that 3 teams in between wanted.

Screw em, I don't throw stones at the special bus, I just feel sympathy for the driver.

Was listening to 92.9 and the host said about 94% of the texters and callers where against the pick. So it's not like it wasn't a questionable pick. 

It was their guy no doubt it will always be their guy they make the picks. 

He's a solid player yea but taking a safety over a pass rusher or LB is questionable. 

The good thing is there is always the second round and a couple of guys left that are pass rushers.

we were last in the league in sacks and pretty close in pressures. It's understandable to see people complain about a safety 

3 minutes ago, atlGM said:

Was listening to 92.9 and the host said about 94% of the texters and callers where against the pick. So it's not like it wasn't a questionable pick. 

He's a solid player yea but taking a safety over a pass rusher or LB is questionable. 

The good thing is there is always the second round and a couple of guys left that are pass rushers.

we were last in the league in sacks and pretty close in pressures. It's understandable to see people complain about a safety 

look, I wanted Shaq Lawson - he was "my guy".   As far as texters  go, WTH cares what texters think?  all they know is the sheot that is fed into their brains everyday from talk radio.

There were indications that the Jets had designs on Keanu Neal at #20 and Steelers were interested in him at #25.  Keanu Neal was always going to be a 1st rounder - did I know he would be one? NO - but I am not privy to the NFL circles either.

1 minute ago, atlGM said:

Nothing you said was wrong, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the people that text 92.9.

The thing I like about Neal is that he is not only a big hitter, he does it in the right way.  Will Mo could lay the wood, but he always dropped his head, and it lead to flags and fines more than it should have.

I wouldn't have been pissed if we went pass rush, its an obvious need.  But the people hating Neal I think are underrating how much he fits with not only the scheme DQ wants to run, but also the way the NFL is moving regarding big hits.  Just watch the highlight vid:  

Head up on all the big hits.

I seriously hope Spence falls to 50, I would be ecstatic if the Falcons can get another pass rusher in the 2nd, and add an LB in the 3rd.  I am just happy with the Neal pick because he has the chance to fill the Chancelor role, which is huge in the defense.  Jamies wouldn't have crossed the goal line had he been there, and the TE wouldn't have destroyed us so much if he does what I expect him to do.

Just now, Dem Birds said:

What round was Kam taken in? Hmmmmm? 

If you want to know Cam's value just look at his contract. What round was Tom Brady take in?

But seriously, I'm wondering if LB was a smoke screen. We have Reed, Upshaw, Worrilow, Wheeler, Spoon, and Beasley playing there too. Were we really gonna draft one in the first? 

2 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

If you want to know Cam's value just look at his contract. What round was Tom Brady take in?

But seriously, I'm wondering if LB was a smoke screen. We have Reed, Upshaw, Worrilow, Wheeler, Spoon, and Beasley playing there too. Were we really gonna draft one in the first? 

To be honest LB wasn't a very good value. 

Lee can't tackle

ragland can't cover 

jacks hurt. 

There are plenty of one demensional LBs in later rounds. 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

look, I wanted Shaq Lawson - he was "my guy".   As far as texters  go, WTH cares what texters think?  all they know is the sheot that is fed into their brains everyday from talk radio.

There were indications that the Jets had designs on Keanu Neal at #20 and Steelers were interested in him at #25.  Keanu Neal was always going to be a 1st rounder - did I know he would be one? NO - but I am not privy to the NFL circles either.

I don't care about anybody either everyone in the bar and my fellow friends disliked the pick as well.

My point is it was a questionable pick and anybody who thought so had good reason to think that.

Im watching Neal's tape right now and it's helping me feel better about the pick . As long as we address the d-line or linebacker tomorrow I'll feel much better about the pick. 

Not many draft pundits or posters had Neal going in the first I think we made the pick because we saw the run on safeties getting ready to start. 

A couple of years ago we needed and safety and Deone Buchanan and jimmy ward went higher than projected. So it is what it is .

1 minute ago, atlGM said:

I don't care about anybody either everyone in the bar and my fellow friends disliked the pick as well.

My point is it was a questionable pick and anybody who thought so had good reason to think that.

Im watching Neal's tape right now and it's helping me feel better about the pick . As long as we address the d-line or linebacker tomorrow I'll feel much better about the pick. 

Not many draft pundits or posters had Neal going in the first I think we made the pick because we saw the run on safeties getting ready to start. 

A couple of years ago we needed and safety and Deone Buchanan and jimmy ward went higher than projected. So it is what it is .

the pick is not questionable in NFL circles.  If the pick is questionable in the minds of the drunk bar patrons, then that bodes well for Keanu Neal.

13 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

Nothing you said was wrong, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the people that text 92.9.

The thing I like about Neal is that he is not only a big hitter, he does it in the right way.  Will Mo could lay the wood, but he always dropped his head, and it lead to flags and fines more than it should have.

I wouldn't have been pissed if we went pass rush, its an obvious need.  But the people hating Neal I think are underrating how much he fits with not only the scheme DQ wants to run, but also the way the NFL is moving regarding big hits.  Just watch the highlight vid:  

Head up on all the big hits.

I seriously hope Spence falls to 50, I would be ecstatic if the Falcons can get another pass rusher in the 2nd, and add an LB in the 3rd.  I am just happy with the Neal pick because he has the chance to fill the Chancelor role, which is huge in the defense.  Jamies wouldn't have crossed the goal line had he been there, and the TE wouldn't have destroyed us so much if he does what I expect him to do.

The guy is a thumper and I like his range he dosen't always read the play right but when he makes a move on the ball it it decisive. So I will say it I feel better about Neal. I just didn't think safety was as big of a need as pass rusher or Lb .

so as you said there are a lot of pass rushers left on the board I just hope we can get a good one

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

the pick is not questionable in NFL circles.  If the pick is questionable in the minds of the drunk bar patrons, then that bodes well for Keanu Neal.

Man please get over yourself.

A team that was last in the league in sacks And gave up an alarming amount rushing touchdowns taking a safety when a DE , 2 DT's, and 2 Lb's are on the board is questionable. 

Especially when we've lacked in the pass rush department for years and have watched teams like broncos and panthers build there teams from the inside out.

He's a Falcon so I'm gonna be behind him that doesn't mean it was questionable pick for our team.

Apparently we felt like we needed Neal more than any other player and feel like Shelby, Upshaw, and a potential second day pick will be enough to improve our pass rush . I get the logic behind the pick but  it's still questionable. 

Just now, atlGM said:

A team that was last in the league in sacks And gave up an alarming amount rushing touchdowns taking a safety when a DE , 2 DT's, and 2 Lb's are on the board is questionable. 

Especially when we've lacked in the pass rush department for years and have watched teams like broncos and panthers build there teams from the inside out.

He's a Falcon so I'm gonna be behind him that doesn't mean it was questionable pick for our team.

Apparently we felt like we needed Neal more than any other player and feel like Shelby, Upshaw, and a potential second day pick will be enough to improve our pass rush . I get the logic behind the pick but  it's still questionable. 

:ninja:

4 minutes ago, atlGM said:

Safety was a need. Didn't know the draft was over tonight....

Just now, atlGM said:

I don't use emojis but if you wanna talk on the points i brought up as I commented on the points u brought up we could have an grown up debate 

maybe try reading your own words then - I highlighted them in Falcon red for you - and here is another emoji for you ;)

1 hour ago, atlGM said:

So you judged the pick before you watched any tape?

15 minutes ago, FalconTough said:

So you judged the pick before you watched any tape?

no i watched him prior to the draft and i did't feel as though he was 1st round worthy especially given our needs in the pass rushing department. Watching him now and listening to Quinn explain how much they valued the position makes me feel better about him as a player. But i will stand by my belief that the pick was reach and we felt forced to take him at because of how high Joseph went

Edited by atlGM

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

maybe try reading your own words then - I highlighted them in Falcon red for you - and here is another emoji for you ;)

so understanding the logic behind a questionable pick is what ? not possible . and why chose to avoid the reasons i gave for saying it was a questionable pick and decide to highlight me saying i understand the logic behind the pick ? 

Edited by atlGM

4 hours ago, atlGM said:

so understanding the logic behind a questionable pick is what ? not possible . and why chose to avoid the reasons i gave for saying it was a questionable pick and decide to highlight me saying i understand the logic behind the pick ? 

So if Jets would have taken Neal @ #20 or Steelers @ #25, would it still have been questionable pick?

Your problem is you need Kiper, Prisco, Rang and McShay to give you a warm fuzzy.

Do you remember if that happened with Bruce Irvine when Seattle took him?  Here is a hint......NO!!!  All the pundits said it was a teach pick.  Where the pundits right?

The pick was not a reach - you are just wrong.  Confess your sin and sin no more.