Ive Never Felt More Strongly About A Trade Down Than I Do This Year

- While our depth has improved, we definitely need more and this draft is deep. Bad year to have so few picks

- We are tied for the least amount of picks in the entire draft

- No one at #17 really blows me away (granted my draft board is prob different that TD/Quinn)

I know every year everyone wants to trade back. I am guilty of that as well, but it  makes more sense now than it has in the past. To me, one of my favorite scenarios would be to trade to the back of round 1 and take Bullard AND Neal with our first two picks. 

Im with you. The closer it gets the more & more I think we should trade down. When I see a dude like Ozzie do that year after year and says you have a better chance of getting good players with multiple picks, we should try it & after that solid draft last year I believe in them as a group to hit on those picks. 

I'm all aboard the trade down train.

It's been said in other threads, but we could be in a position where there are several players available that teams would want to trade up for:  

WR: Treadwell, Doctson, Fuller, Coleman  (Titans could start a run on wideouts)
QB: Lynch  (Teams may want to jump BUF/NYJ)
OL: Decker, Kelly  (Gotta jump IND for Kelly)
DL: Robinson, Reed, Butler, Billings  (NT is a need for several teams in the 20s)
LB: Lee, Ragland  (We could pass one one of these guys for the chance at more picks)
CB: Jackson, Apple, Alexander  (Should still be at least 1 of these top CBs available at 17)

If our goal really is to snag a SS like Neal or Joseph, then trying to bait one of the playoff teams into trading up is our best bet.

54 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

- While our depth has improved, we definitely need more and this draft is deep. Bad year to have so few picks

- We are tied for the least amount of picks in the entire draft

- No one at #17 really blows me away (granted my draft board is prob different that TD/Quinn)

I know every year everyone wants to trade back. I am guilty of that as well, but it  makes more sense now than it has in the past. To me, one of my favorite scenarios would be to trade to the back of round 1 and take Bullard AND Neal with our first two picks. 

Dan Quinn is that you?

So much easier to trade down when there are at several guys or at least 1 guy available at your draft slot that ooze NFL Player (e.g. Khalil Mack, A.J. Green, Julio Jones). Not sure if anyone is going to covet the 17th best player this year. If TD pulls a solid trade down off, he deserves major kudos.

The most compelling argument is that all the Falcons needs are at non-premium positions. NFL draft history shows you can always find really good players at OG, WR2, TE, NT, non-pass rushing LB, S, and CB2 in the late 1st round and 2nd and 3rd. It makes all the sense in the world to not spend too much on those positions. 

I don't know if we'll have any takers, since 17 is around that area of the first round where the perceived high end talent drop-off begins. If someone is willing to give us their 2nd or 3rd for our 17, I'd jump all over it. I don't know why but I still like Nkemdiche as a late round steal if we dropped down to 25-27 and he was still on the board.

16 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

For the first time in years I am saying trade down too. I'm not using "this draft is deep" but very similar in talent.

I've been away from TATF KOG whose your top target tonight? Your pretty much my default when I didnt do my homework :lol:

I agree man... Trading back just makes too much sense for us this year. It seems there year is the year of the 2nd rounders... so much talent in the late first/second. Guys like Neal, Cravens, Jones, Bullard... all would be a reach at 17 (however I am warming to the idea of Neal at 17). 

It is looking like Floyd and Lawson will not be available at 17 and I'm just not sold on Ragland or Lee. I hope Lynch falls to 17 and a team wants to trade up to get him.

I'd like to see us trade down just because we only have 5 picks.   And if we can move down 6-7-8 spots in 1st to get a 2nd or even a 3rd, then that's what we need to try to do.

But, that means there has to be somebody on the board a team feels strongly about to move up for.

And that would mean somebody projected in top 10 sliding to Falcons at #17.

How bad does a team want to jump ahead of the Colts at #18 for LB?

Or ahead of Buffalo at #19 for a wide receiver?

Or ahead of Jets at #20 for QB or LB?