theProf has finally mocked, and mocked, and mocked again

theProf

With the signing of Chris Chester, I no longer see OG as a Falcons priority need for the upcoming season. A Tight End would be nice, but still not a priority need for the upcoming season. I see OG and TE as priority needs for the 2017 season though. Therefore, what I see as priority needs for the Falcons for the upcoming season are all on Defense: OLB, ILB, SS, Pass Rusher, and a Nickle Back. A lot of how a draft unfolds depends upon the team's Round 1 selection. So I will do three different mocks based upon some of the more likely candidates for the Falcons first round pick at  #17, assuming no trade.

Mock 1:

Round 1: OLB/Pass Rusher:  Leonard Floyd or Darron Lee

Round 2: SS:  Keanu Neal, or Su'a Cravens, or Vonn Bell, or Darian Thompson, or Karl Joseph

Round 3: NB/CB/FS: Justin Simmons or Cyrus Jones or DJ White

Round 4: ILB: Nick Vigil or Blake Martinez

Round 7: Offense: Best Available: Interior Offensive Lineman (Mike Matthews), TE (Stephen Anderson) , or WR/Returner (Moritz Boehringer)

Mock 2:

Round 1: ILB: Reggie Ragland

Round 2: OLB: Su'a Cravens or Deion Jones

Round 3: Pass Rusher: DE Bronson Kaufusi or DT Javon Hargrave

Round 4: SS: KJ Dillon or Kevin Byard

Round 7: NB/CB/FS Sharrod Neasman

Mock 3:

Round 1: DE/Pass Rusher: Shaq Lawson

Round 2: OLB: Su'a Cravens or Deion Jones

Round 3: NB/CB/FS: Justin Simmons or Cyrus Jones or DJ White 

Round 4: SS: KJ Dillon or Kevin Byard

Round 7: ILB: Luke Rhodes or Antonio Morrison

This is the exact reason why I'm not set in stone on one player like the past two years with Matthews and Beasley... So much is going to happen above us, and our areas of improvement are so vast that until the 7th round is over, and we can look back at how they addressed those needs.

I think I'd be happiest with #3 scenario, and could even put in a Neal in rd2 and be content. As long as they don't reach too early on a player, I'm not seeing them screwing this up.

EDIT: I'd also like to spend the 7th on offense just for the sake of depth. Hopefully a G/C combo player as I really don't want to roll the dice on Person / Stone having to back up Mack incase something bad were to happen...

Edited by Leggggggo

I like in theory, if we go pure FB player and thumper in 1st we go speed in second. Or vice versa. I like getting a CB with the 4th or 3rd and I like C. Jones. I would go one of the UGA players in the 7th either J.Rome TE or RB Q. Hicks who will give us a red zone or 3rd and 2 heavy hammer and has played some TE and can help on ST

32 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Who's Leonard Pope?

My Bad, former UGA TE. I've now edited the mock to Leonard Floyd. That's what happens to you in old age: your longer-term memory is much better than your short-term memory, especially with names. I was out walking my dog, and I wondered to myself had I inadvertently typed Leonard Pope rather than Leonard Floyd in the mock, which I did.

I'm not as confident in leonard floyd as some because I felt like we saw him last year in Randy Gregory... and he simply hasn't impressed, even with a much stouter D-line. He projects to me to be the type of player that can capitalize on havoc, but cannot create it himself. So I would prefer a Nkemdiche, Lawson, Rankins over Floyd.

If Shaq or Darron isn't there, I don't think we get cute simply pick a certified starter in Ragland and look to Round 2... which is your Mock #2, but I think Deion should be a third round target.

Agree with your suggestion to delay filling the OG and TE positions until the 2017 draft.

Prefer the #1 option. Ragland may be better than I have been lead to believe and well maybe Quinn's #17 pick. It's the concern about his cover ability which is a big need to correct next year. Otherwise, there is only one suggested substitution to the 1st option list. Would like to pick Javon Hargrave in Round #3. Need that interior push and QB disruption from the DL in addition to the DE and LB pressure.

Good job!! 

55 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't understand the Cyrus Jones pick, prof.  I don't see investing a 4th rounder in a PR/KR/NB when we just spent a 2nd on a corner last year.

We never did cut Devin Hester did we?

First, Atlanta is fairly thin at CB right now. The Falcons normally carry 5 CBs on the roster.  The projected starters would probably be Alford at NB, with Trufant and Collins or Akeem King at outside CB. Since Collins faces a 4-game suspension, then King would probably have to start at outside corner. However, King was not one of the second-year players that Quinn was relying on to to gain significant snaps or become a significant contributor this year. The only other CB on the current roster is Van Dyke, who is probably just a camp body, so they are already down 1 CB. This year, I would be more comfortable with Tru and Alford on the outside, with a new NB draftee on the inside.

Next season, I don't think that Atlanta will be able to afford to re-sign Alford, with Trufant being at $8 million next year or more with a contract extension. Thus, Atlanta will probably need a NB again next year, if they don't do something this year.

As far as Devin Hester goes, I think the Falcons would be better off cutting him (no he has not been cut yet) and saving 3 million against the cap, especially if one of the draftees has some PR/KR experience or capability.

7 minutes ago, theProf said:

First, Atlanta is fairly thin at CB right now. The Falcons normally carry 5 CBs on the roster.  The projected starters would probably be Alford at NB, with Trufant and Collins or Akeem King at outside CB. Since Collins faces a 4-game suspension, then King would probably have to start at outside corner. However, King was not one of the second-year players that Quinn was relying on to to gain significant snaps or become a significant contributor this year. The only other CB on the current roster is Van Dyke, who is probably just a camp body, so they are already down 1 CB. This year, I would be more comfortable with Tru and Alford on the outside, with a new NB draftee on the inside.

Next season, I don't think that Atlanta will be able to afford to re-sign Alford, with Trufant being at $8 million next year or more with a contract extension. Thus, Atlanta will probably need a NB again next year, if they don't do something this year.

As far as Devin Hester goes, I think the Falcons would be better off cutting him (no he has not been cut yet) and saving 3 million against the cap, especially if one of the draftees has some PR/KR experience or capability.

Yeah, CB - if it is a problem at all and I am not convinced it is - but if it is - it is a 2017 problem - not 2016.   We have too many other needs to be drafting a corner this year and Cyrus Jones is not even that well known for his cover skills.

As far as Devin Hester, if I was GM he would already be cut - maybe they will still cut him but I don't know why they would not have already done so if they were gonna do it.

Annnnnnd our offensive line is still one of the worst in the league. 

As far as I am concerned we need to find the guards of the now and future this draft or this off season. This Levitre and Chester experiment is a joke. 

Edited by R_The_Great

Just now, R_The_Great said:

As far as I am concerned we need to find the guards of the now and future this draft or this off season. This Levitre and Chester experiment is a joke. 

are you seriously this dense? We had a top 5 OL last year and it's only gotten better over the offseason

2 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Did you already forget about Mack? We have two good tackles and the best center in the game. Even if our guards suck it won't be one of the worst O-line's in the league. I'm actually willing to give Levitre a pass for last year since he didn't get an offseason with us and had to learn on the fly. Chester is the definition of average to me. He's not good but he's not getting beat on every play. I won't be upset if we don't grab an OL in this draft but by next year it'll be necessary.