Falcons search for linebacker's started before the 2015 season

The search for linebacker's started before the 2015 season with trips to Alabama and UGA.

Alabama Practice Report 9/9: Freshman QB Back on the Practice Field

By Kevin Connell September 9, 2015 4:56 PM

– Atlanta Falcons assistant general manager Scott Pioli watched practice from the sideline.

The Atlanta Falcons Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli taking in #UGA practice today.
Were intensely watching the OLBs

I said it before and I'll say it again. I have a feeling Ragland will be wearing Silver and Black and Floyd will be rocking Blue and Orange.

NFL teams are already going beyond the game film in their evaluations of Alabama senior Reggie Ragland.

Ragland is one of the top linebacker prospects in college football, and his coach from Madison (Ala.) Bob Jones High, Kevin Rose, says he has received letters from the Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs inquiring about his former player's time as a prep athlete.

"I got one from the Oakland Raiders and the Kansas City Chiefs today," Rose told WHNT News in Huntsville, Ala. "They are looking back on his character and work ethic in high school which is a great message for our kids. Don't think that what you do when you are 16-17 and 18 years old is unimportant, it's going to follow you for the rest of your life."

Ragland received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board last winter as a junior. He opted instead to return to UA for his senior year.

"In Reggie's case I'm able to get on there and say very positive things about him because he was a great role model when he was here," Rose said.

Only UCLA's Myles Jack, Arizona's Scooby Wright III and Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith rank ahead of Ragland on NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein's preseason look at the top linebacker prospects in the nation. Zierlein wrote a more detailed review of Ragland's play for CFB 24/7 on Thursday.

At 250 pounds and with a salty reputation as a run stopper, Ragland is an inside linebacker prospect entering his second year as a starter for the Crimson Tide. He made 95 tackles last season, second on the team behind New York Giants 2015 second-round pick Landon Collins, with 10.5 tackles for loss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517162/article/chiefs-raiders-inquire-about-alabama-lb-reggie-ragland

Oakland has been inquiring about Ragland since 2015 as well.

27 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

I said it before and I'll say it again. I have a feeling Ragland will be wearing Silver and Black and Floyd will be rocking Blue and Orange.

Oakland has been inquiring about Ragland since 2015 as well.

Yep, remember Raiders DC Ken Norton Jr was a former LB and LB coach, so if the value is there he will more than likely be picked.

Ragland fills a huge hole in Oakland. The Raiders guaranteed Curtis Lofton $10 million a year ago so Del Rio and McKenzie do value the position. Del Rio is ultra committed to stopping the run and that’s the staple of Ragland’s game.

As for McKenzie, we know he loves hard-nosed players and Raiders scouts were all over Ragland at the Senior Bowl.

Love me some Reggie Ragland. Pro-day workout was legit.

Measuring just over 6’1 at the Senior Bowl, many don’t see Ragland as a prototypical middle linebacker, but McKenzie is likely to focus more on film than metrics – and the Alabama thumper isn’t short on impressive film.

Alabama's Reggie Ragland was the only LB to finish with a +7.0 or better grade in all facets (coverage, run, pass rush)#NFLDraft

McKenzie will also value Ragland’s character and leadership. Nicknamed “The General” by his college teammates, Ragland was the “absolute leader” of the Alabama locker room.

His versatility is one of the better-kept secrets leading up to the draft and I believe too much has been made of how Alabama chose to use Ragland on third down.

There aren’t many college players more likely to jump into the NFL and make an immediate impact than Ragland.

13 hours ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Too many dummies on here, and what's funny is those people don't care if Worrilow continues to play. They never even mention him. Sad sad sad. 

As much as I like Lee I like Ragland just as much. I thought calling him a Lofton clone was disrespectful lol plays bigger, faster, and could be the Matt Ryan of our defense. I would be more than fine with him.

3 hours ago, Macintez said:

As much as I like Lee I like Ragland just as much. I thought calling him a Lofton clone was disrespectful lol plays bigger, faster, and could be the Matt Ryan of our defense. I would be more than fine with him.

Yeah I don't hate Lee...I just like Ragland more. If we are addressing LB why not upgrade the weakest link(Worrilow) and get cravens, brown, jones later? HeII jones is faster than lee