Pro Football Focus Mock

Sponge

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/22/draft-cris-collinsworths-second-nfl-mock-draft-for-2016/

17. Atlanta Falcons: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

The Falcons join the Seahawks and Jaguars as teams that play the most Cover-3 matchup zone, and in that scheme you can’t get enough pass-rushers to get pressure from your front four. Lawson is the right man for the job, and he’d get to play alongside his old Clemson teammate Vic Beasley. What I remember of that defense is how fast they played – the Tigers looked like they were running the 100-meter dash on every play. That’s the formula they have in Seattle with their Cover-3 defense, with disruptive edge rushers Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Frank Clark, and it’s what I’m sure the Falcons are trying to recreate here.

If we got Lawson and Carolina got Dodd, there would always be a comparison. TD would somehow be tied to this on TATF. 

30. Carolina Panthers: Kevin Dodd, DE/OLB, Clemson

I tried to find a cornerback for the Panthers here, now that Josh Norman is an unrestricted free agent. (Quick aside: I have a feeling the organization might believe that Norman’s success was in large part due to head coach Ron Rivera’s defensive scheme, which contributed to their not wanting to meet Norman’s huge salary demands.) But there wasn’t a great value on the board in this scenario, and they can help their secondary by adding more pass rush. At 6-5, 275, Dodd has more length than his Clemson teammate Shaq Lawson, which is what NFL coaches love to see in pass-rushers, allowing them to ward off the punch of offensive tackles. Dodd also has great lean turning the corner. He had one sack in Clemson’s national semifinal win over Oklahoma and three more in the title game loss to Alabama.

5 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

If we got Lawson and Carolina got Dodd, there would always be a comparison. TD would somehow be tied to this on TATF. 

I tried to find a cornerback for the Panthers here, now that Josh Norman is an unrestricted free agent. (Quick aside: I have a feeling the organization might believe that Norman’s success was in large part due to head coach Ron Rivera’s defensive scheme, which contributed to their not wanting to meet Norman’s huge salary demands.) But there wasn’t a great value on the board in this scenario, and they can help their secondary by adding more pass rush. At 6-5, 275, Dodd has more length than his Clemson teammate Shaq Lawson, which is what NFL coaches love to see in pass-rushers, allowing them to ward off the punch of offensive tackles. Dodd also has great lean turning the corner. He had one sack in Clemson’s national semifinal win over Oklahoma and three more in the title game loss to Alabama.

Yet people still seem to not realize that Dodd had the better game vs Alabama and is probably the better pass rusher by far. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

They have 3 receivers being drafted before laquan Treadwell??

Treadwell's predictions are all over the place. He has his supporters who think that he's a top 10 talent, and then he has his detractors, who question if he's even top 50 worthy. PFF has been among those leading the anti-Treadwell movement. 

They're also tremendously anti-Dodd.

15 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Yet people still seem to not realize that Dodd had the better game vs Alabama and is probably the better pass rusher by far. 

Dodd also lined up against the far worse tackle. Jackson might not even be drafted where as Cam Robinson will most likely be a top 10 pick.

4 hours ago, hjerry said:

Treadwell's predictions are all over the place. He has his supporters who think that he's a top 10 talent, and then he has his detractors, who question if he's even top 50 worthy. PFF has been among those leading the anti-Treadwell movement. 

They're also tremendously anti-Dodd.

That's because they actually watch the tape, not just one game.  

4 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

didnt Lawson play with an injury?

Dodd is one of the most overrated players in this draft

30 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I like Lawson. He has that attitude i love

Agreed-and he has a motor that doesn't stop. I would rather draft a guy that is relentless and doesn't quit than get a guy that has "all the measureables" and "a ton of potential". Just my opinion but to me Dodd has bust written all over him. I could see Lawson being the same kind of player as Micheal Bennett eventually and that is what Quinn covets and this team needs.

9 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I like Dodd over Lawson. I think he's got a higher ceiling as a pass rusher. 

2 hours ago, OBXFalcon said:

Agreed-and he has a motor that doesn't stop. I would rather draft a guy that is relentless and doesn't quit than get a guy that has "all the measureables" and "a ton of potential". Just my opinion but to me Dodd has bust written all over him. I could see Lawson being the same kind of player as Micheal Bennett eventually and that is what Quinn covets and this team needs.

Great comparison. He does have some Michael Bennett in him