First mock ever...Trenches mostly

Not gonna act like I'm a draft expert, GM, or anything like that. I've been on the boards for a couple years and have never tried making a mock so figured I'd give it a shot. 

Round 1 '17 overall' : Andrew Billings

OVERVIEW

Billings was already a big name around Waco before he even agreed to play for the Bears, dominating on the high school football field (266 pancake blocks in his junior and senior years) and setting a state record in power-lifting with 2,010 total pounds at the state meet (805 squat, 705 dead lift, 500 on bench). Despite the high expectations, he somehow lived up to his billing. After contributing as a true freshman (two starts, 29 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss), Billings came into his own in 2014, receiving consensus first-team All-Big 12 notice with 37 tackles, 11.5 for loss. The league named him co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2015, leading Baylor with 15 tackles for loss and tying for the team lead with 5.5 sacks as he heard his name mentioned on several All-American squads. The fact he led the Bears in tackles for loss and sacks shows the athleticism and aggressive nature of his game.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.96 seconds 
Short shuttle: 4.77 seconds 
3-cone: 7.77 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Elite power with a weight­lifting background. Generates booming power from hip explosion and when his leverage is on point, he can be menacing. Moved from offensive line to defensive line in college and is getting better by leaps and bounds each year. Drops his pad level even lower when splitting double teams and charging through gaps. Uses violent, powerful swats and slaps to free of opposing hand placement. Instant reaction time makes it difficult to cross his face. Gets arm extension into blocker and stays clean as he pursues laterally. Ridiculous closing burst to the sideline for a big man. Dominates single blocks and is a sure­fire tackler when he gets hands on a running back. Improving pass rusher with an effective bull­ rush.

WEAKNESSES

Top heavy. Powerful but short. Once he gets going in a direction, struggles to slow down and change directions. Recovery athleticism is average. Plays with good initial effort but an average secondary motor. Still learning techniques for the position. Raw as a pass rusher relying on power over a plan. Extremely young to play professionally. Will need positive locker room leaders to guide him as he matures.

NFL COMPARISON

Chris Baker

BOTTOM LINE

Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

Round 2 '50 overall' :  Shilique Calhoun 

OVERVIEW

Not many players are named to All-American squads once during their college career, much less twice. Calhoun's managed to earn the nod three straight years, making big plays for the Spartans as they competed for Big Ten titles. As a redshirt sophomore, Calhoun was the Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year and first team all-conference recognition in addition to second team All-American notice from several sources after recording 14 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, four fumble recoveries and an interception. The two-time Ted Hendricks Award finalist (2013, 2015) didnt disappoint in his second year as a starter and first as a team captain, making 39 tackles, 12.5 for loss and eight sacks. Calhoun could have left for the NFL after 2014, but decided to return to compete for a Big Ten title and a national championship. The Spartans did accomplish the former, with the help of Calhouns 14.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks before losing to eventual champion Alabama in the College Football Playoff.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Former high school basketball standout with an athletic, well-­proportioned frame. Three-­year starter with above average pass rush production. Posted 128 quarterback pressures and 26.5 sacks over last three years. Rushes passer with forward lean and good knee bend. Keeps running after contact to better position. Improving shoulder dip around corner to run the arc tightly and get after the quarterback. Flashes above average burst to the quarterback when sack is in his sights. Good play recognition and awareness in run game. Good backside chase speed against the run and able to change directions when needed. Two-­time team captain under Mark Dantonio who is highly respected in the building. Has shown potential for more complex pass rush attack using several different rush moves from various angles.

WEAKNESSES

Missing aggressive, nasty play demeanor at point of attack. Showed too much respect to blockers rather than playing through them with aggression. Gets caught up in slap-fighting rather than dominating with hand strength. Can improve feel for when to use power and when to use finesse as a rusher. Flagged for nine encroachment penalties this year. Needs to play faster. Play strength doesnt match his frame. Wont often whip a base block and gives in too easily to double team coming from tight end. Wasnt a factor in the opposing teams backfield in 2015.

NFL COMPARISON

Andre Branch

BOTTOM LINE

Calhouns career could go one of two ways -- **** become more aggressive and improve his hand usage which will unlock his full potential as an NFL defensive end OR he will become a decent NFL starter who doesnt have the upfield burst to win up the field as a pass rusher and isnt strong enough to hold up at the point of attack. Calhoun may need to become tougher against the run before he is handed a starters position, but the skill­set is there if he can unlock it.

Round 3 '81 overall' : Robert Nkemdiche

OVERVIEW

Nkemdiche (kim-DEECH-ee) presented elite athleticism and quick-twitch movement as the top defensive end prospect in the country coming into Oxford as part of the 2013 recruiting class. He's one of the more interesting prospects in the 2016 draft class, as well, because Georgia native never really had great statistical production despite his manifold pro-ready characteristics. He started 10 games for the Rebels in 2013, garnering Freshman All-American and Freshman All-SEC notice with eight tackles for loss and two sacks on the year. In Nkemdiche's sophomore year, he received second-team All-American honors from several media outlets despite making just four tackles for loss and two sacks in 13 starts. His junior year realized similar results, again being named second team All-American with statistics half as impressive as most others named to the team (seven TFL, three sacks). Nkemdiche's career at Ole Miss ended on a sour note, however, as he was arrested for marijuana possession after taking a fall from an Atlanta area hotel room. He was suspended from the team's bowl game after the incident, and decided to leave for the National Football League.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Exceptional build. Carries no bad weight and has outstanding thickness and power through his rear, thighs and calves. Plus movement skills and runs like a defensive end. Has reactive explosiveness for expanded range as tackler near line of scrimmage. Wrap up finisher who won't allow running backs out of his grasp. Plays with good lateral quickness and can win the race across the face of blockers. Played stronger at point of attack this year. Proved he could penetrate and 2-gap. Showed noticeable improvement as pass rusher this season. Has a decent spin move as pass rusher and plays with the power to force his way through a guard's shoulder and into the backfield. Improved quarterback pressures from 13 to 26 this year.

WEAKNESSES

For all the talent and athletic traits, his production was disappointing. Produced low tackle totals and just 6.5 sacks over three years. Never forced or recovered a fumble. Ducks head into initial off snap losing track of the ball. Tightly ­wound, straight-line athlete who needs play to stay inside his optimal area of movement. Inconsistent effort after his initial pass rush move is thwarted. Needs to develop a counter rush move. Was suspended for Sugar Bowl after being arrested and charged with marijuana a possession. Scouting community has serious concerns about his personal character and work ethic.

SOURCES TELL US

"I still don't know if I have a great read on him. I'm usually big on production and he doesn't have it like you want it, but we get paid to coach players up. There is a lot there to coach. I think he'll either drive you crazy or make you look like a genius. Probably not a lot of middle ground is my guess." -- NFC defensive line coach

NFL COMPARISON

Sharrif Floyd

BOTTOM LINE

Considered the top­-rated prospect in the nation when he signed with Ole Miss, the 3-­technique tackle is considered one of the key cogs in turning around the Ole Miss program. His talent and frame are worthy of an early selection, but his lack of high-­end production and character concerns could cause him to slide. With that said, he has the talent to be an impact starter in the league.

Round 4 '115 overall' :  Joe Thuney

OVERVIEW

Thuney has played everywhere on the offensive line for the Wolfpack, beginning his career as back-up center as a redshirt freshman, starting at right tackle, right guard and left tackle in 2013, lining up at left guard in 2014 before returning to the blind side tackle spot as a senior. The second-team All-ACC pick has the strong versatility and potential for growth that NFL teams covet in a mid-round selection.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

All-­ACC first-team selection in 2015. Doesnt check all of the physical boxes scouts want, but his tasks get accomplished. Accurate initial engagement as run blocker, allowing him to sustain blocks longer and widen running lanes. Has played every position along the offensive line. Sharp and can process assignment changes quickly against run stunts. Sees twists and comes off of first blocks instantly to catch up with twisting rusher. Shows reactive athleticism to make quick counter step inside when needed.

WEAKNESSES

Lean frame and thin through hips and thighs. Head-ducker and waist-­bender. Doesnt trust his core strength and will lower head and lean into pass rushers opening up potential balance concerns. Needs to bring feet under him after contact. Consistent forward lean in all aspects of his game allow defenders to bounce him around. Not reliable cross-face blocker. Busy hands with too much wasted motion after the snap. Has short arms and small hands that will end up outside defenders frame.

BOTTOM LINE

Thuney is a three-year starter who has shown overall improvement in all aspects of his game, and the position diversity that offensive line coaches love and need. Thuney will need to move inside to guard where his length and average functional strength could be an issue. Teams are heating up on Thuney and he could go as early as the third round, but I don't see his success on the next level as a lock.

Round 7 '241 overall' :  Moritz Boehringer

OVERVIEW

Boehringer played for the Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns of the German Football League. In the 2015 season, Boehringer had 59 receptions for 1,232 yards and 13 touchdowns in 16 games played.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds 
Vertical: 39 inches 
Broad jump: 10 feet, 11 inches 
20-yard Short shuttle: 4.10 seconds 
3-cone: 6.65 seconds 
Bench: 17 reps of 225 pounds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Exceptional combination of size, speed and short-area quickness. Has rare short-area testing numbers for a receiver with his size. Long, loose strides mangle the cushion of his overmatched cornerbacks. Can stick a foot in the ground and open a throwing window with acceleration. Lightning quick out of route stems. Hands-catcher. Shows ability to track and finish the deep balls with long arms and soft hands. Has home-run speed after the catch and will work the middle and take the hits.

WEAKNESSES

His size and athletic traits overshadow how raw he is. Has played football for a relatively short period of time. Is a step slow getting off line of scrimmage and into his routes. Needs time and reps to learn nuances of route running. Competition level isn't even on the radar and he could outrun most everyone he faced. Will have to learn the art of separation when challenged by athletic, press cornerbacks.

SOURCES TELL US

"He looked good (at his pro day). Anytime a guy covers all the measurables from length to explosion to speed, you tend to get excited. This is the first time I've seen him in person. He's got a chance, but you have to realize he's going against guys who aren't even at a D-III level. How will he deal with that jump in competition? How will he handle an NFL locker room? That's a culture shock. I'm not trying to kill the guy, but let's slow the train down a little." -- NFL area scout

NFL COMPARISON

Jeff Janis

BOTTOM LINE

After his outstanding pro day, the media hype surrounding Boehringer cranked into full gear, but for all of the traits he possesses, he's still in the very early stages of learning the game. While he has feast or famine written all over him, he's competitive and could offer early benefits in kick coverage or as a kick returner while he continues to learn the position. Boehringer's pro day was almost equal to what Jeff Janis put together two years ago and he was drafted in the seventh round after playing Division II football.

Unfortunately I think you're going to be forced to pick between Calhoun/Nkemdiche in Round 2. I'm fine with either guy though. 

Billings is a good prospect, fills a need, and could turn into a very nice piece. But its not sexy and doesnt really address the issues with the second level. 

But I like these players. 

Just now, AtlantaFanSince1991 said:

Yeah I know that is very unlikely that we don't take any lbs. I wanted to do something different and go all in on the trenches. 

You certainly addressed that. Move Beasley to WLB and throw Hageman on the line. That Dline would be nasty.

Nkemdiche--Hageman--Billings--Calhoun

--Beasley--

3 minutes ago, mumblesjr,jr said:

throw this mock out the window. none of it with happen.

Lol I know. Can't knock a guy for trying tho right? I just have a dream that one day we have a defensive line that puts the fear of God in the qb every single play....not giving them 10 seconds to throw the ball. 

4 hours ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

I'm pretty sure they are going to get a LB and SS out of this draft.

We definitely will. Just wanted to go a different direction with the mock. Do I think its a direction that we will go? Absolutely not haha...but its not my job to draft our team. Thanks for the feedback. I'll put more effort in next year if I have time between training/work. 

20 hours ago, AtlantaFanSince1991 said:

Not gonna act like I'm a draft expert, GM, or anything like that. I've been on the boards for a couple years and have never tried making a mock so figured I'd give it a shot. 

Round 1 '17 overall' : Andrew Billings

OVERVIEW

Billings was already a big name around Waco before he even agreed to play for the Bears, dominating on the high school football field (266 pancake blocks in his junior and senior years) and setting a state record in power-lifting with 2,010 total pounds at the state meet (805 squat, 705 dead lift, 500 on bench). Despite the high expectations, he somehow lived up to his billing. After contributing as a true freshman (two starts, 29 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss), Billings came into his own in 2014, receiving consensus first-team All-Big 12 notice with 37 tackles, 11.5 for loss. The league named him co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2015, leading Baylor with 15 tackles for loss and tying for the team lead with 5.5 sacks as he heard his name mentioned on several All-American squads. The fact he led the Bears in tackles for loss and sacks shows the athleticism and aggressive nature of his game.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.96 seconds 
Short shuttle: 4.77 seconds 
3-cone: 7.77 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Elite power with a weight­lifting background. Generates booming power from hip explosion and when his leverage is on point, he can be menacing. Moved from offensive line to defensive line in college and is getting better by leaps and bounds each year. Drops his pad level even lower when splitting double teams and charging through gaps. Uses violent, powerful swats and slaps to free of opposing hand placement. Instant reaction time makes it difficult to cross his face. Gets arm extension into blocker and stays clean as he pursues laterally. Ridiculous closing burst to the sideline for a big man. Dominates single blocks and is a sure­fire tackler when he gets hands on a running back. Improving pass rusher with an effective bull­ rush.

WEAKNESSES

Top heavy. Powerful but short. Once he gets going in a direction, struggles to slow down and change directions. Recovery athleticism is average. Plays with good initial effort but an average secondary motor. Still learning techniques for the position. Raw as a pass rusher relying on power over a plan. Extremely young to play professionally. Will need positive locker room leaders to guide him as he matures.

NFL COMPARISON

Chris Baker

BOTTOM LINE

Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

Round 2 '50 overall' :  Shilique Calhoun 

OVERVIEW

Not many players are named to All-American squads once during their college career, much less twice. Calhoun's managed to earn the nod three straight years, making big plays for the Spartans as they competed for Big Ten titles. As a redshirt sophomore, Calhoun was the Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year and first team all-conference recognition in addition to second team All-American notice from several sources after recording 14 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, four fumble recoveries and an interception. The two-time Ted Hendricks Award finalist (2013, 2015) didnt disappoint in his second year as a starter and first as a team captain, making 39 tackles, 12.5 for loss and eight sacks. Calhoun could have left for the NFL after 2014, but decided to return to compete for a Big Ten title and a national championship. The Spartans did accomplish the former, with the help of Calhouns 14.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks before losing to eventual champion Alabama in the College Football Playoff.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Former high school basketball standout with an athletic, well-­proportioned frame. Three-­year starter with above average pass rush production. Posted 128 quarterback pressures and 26.5 sacks over last three years. Rushes passer with forward lean and good knee bend. Keeps running after contact to better position. Improving shoulder dip around corner to run the arc tightly and get after the quarterback. Flashes above average burst to the quarterback when sack is in his sights. Good play recognition and awareness in run game. Good backside chase speed against the run and able to change directions when needed. Two-­time team captain under Mark Dantonio who is highly respected in the building. Has shown potential for more complex pass rush attack using several different rush moves from various angles.

WEAKNESSES

Missing aggressive, nasty play demeanor at point of attack. Showed too much respect to blockers rather than playing through them with aggression. Gets caught up in slap-fighting rather than dominating with hand strength. Can improve feel for when to use power and when to use finesse as a rusher. Flagged for nine encroachment penalties this year. Needs to play faster. Play strength doesnt match his frame. Wont often whip a base block and gives in too easily to double team coming from tight end. Wasnt a factor in the opposing teams backfield in 2015.

NFL COMPARISON

Andre Branch

BOTTOM LINE

Calhouns career could go one of two ways -- **** become more aggressive and improve his hand usage which will unlock his full potential as an NFL defensive end OR he will become a decent NFL starter who doesnt have the upfield burst to win up the field as a pass rusher and isnt strong enough to hold up at the point of attack. Calhoun may need to become tougher against the run before he is handed a starters position, but the skill­set is there if he can unlock it.

Round 3 '81 overall' : Robert Nkemdiche

OVERVIEW

Nkemdiche (kim-DEECH-ee) presented elite athleticism and quick-twitch movement as the top defensive end prospect in the country coming into Oxford as part of the 2013 recruiting class. He's one of the more interesting prospects in the 2016 draft class, as well, because Georgia native never really had great statistical production despite his manifold pro-ready characteristics. He started 10 games for the Rebels in 2013, garnering Freshman All-American and Freshman All-SEC notice with eight tackles for loss and two sacks on the year. In Nkemdiche's sophomore year, he received second-team All-American honors from several media outlets despite making just four tackles for loss and two sacks in 13 starts. His junior year realized similar results, again being named second team All-American with statistics half as impressive as most others named to the team (seven TFL, three sacks). Nkemdiche's career at Ole Miss ended on a sour note, however, as he was arrested for marijuana possession after taking a fall from an Atlanta area hotel room. He was suspended from the team's bowl game after the incident, and decided to leave for the National Football League.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Exceptional build. Carries no bad weight and has outstanding thickness and power through his rear, thighs and calves. Plus movement skills and runs like a defensive end. Has reactive explosiveness for expanded range as tackler near line of scrimmage. Wrap up finisher who won't allow running backs out of his grasp. Plays with good lateral quickness and can win the race across the face of blockers. Played stronger at point of attack this year. Proved he could penetrate and 2-gap. Showed noticeable improvement as pass rusher this season. Has a decent spin move as pass rusher and plays with the power to force his way through a guard's shoulder and into the backfield. Improved quarterback pressures from 13 to 26 this year.

WEAKNESSES

For all the talent and athletic traits, his production was disappointing. Produced low tackle totals and just 6.5 sacks over three years. Never forced or recovered a fumble. Ducks head into initial off snap losing track of the ball. Tightly ­wound, straight-line athlete who needs play to stay inside his optimal area of movement. Inconsistent effort after his initial pass rush move is thwarted. Needs to develop a counter rush move. Was suspended for Sugar Bowl after being arrested and charged with marijuana a possession. Scouting community has serious concerns about his personal character and work ethic.

SOURCES TELL US

"I still don't know if I have a great read on him. I'm usually big on production and he doesn't have it like you want it, but we get paid to coach players up. There is a lot there to coach. I think he'll either drive you crazy or make you look like a genius. Probably not a lot of middle ground is my guess." -- NFC defensive line coach

NFL COMPARISON

Sharrif Floyd

BOTTOM LINE

Considered the top­-rated prospect in the nation when he signed with Ole Miss, the 3-­technique tackle is considered one of the key cogs in turning around the Ole Miss program. His talent and frame are worthy of an early selection, but his lack of high-­end production and character concerns could cause him to slide. With that said, he has the talent to be an impact starter in the league.

Round 4 '115 overall' :  Joe Thuney

OVERVIEW

Thuney has played everywhere on the offensive line for the Wolfpack, beginning his career as back-up center as a redshirt freshman, starting at right tackle, right guard and left tackle in 2013, lining up at left guard in 2014 before returning to the blind side tackle spot as a senior. The second-team All-ACC pick has the strong versatility and potential for growth that NFL teams covet in a mid-round selection.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

All-­ACC first-team selection in 2015. Doesnt check all of the physical boxes scouts want, but his tasks get accomplished. Accurate initial engagement as run blocker, allowing him to sustain blocks longer and widen running lanes. Has played every position along the offensive line. Sharp and can process assignment changes quickly against run stunts. Sees twists and comes off of first blocks instantly to catch up with twisting rusher. Shows reactive athleticism to make quick counter step inside when needed.

WEAKNESSES

Lean frame and thin through hips and thighs. Head-ducker and waist-­bender. Doesnt trust his core strength and will lower head and lean into pass rushers opening up potential balance concerns. Needs to bring feet under him after contact. Consistent forward lean in all aspects of his game allow defenders to bounce him around. Not reliable cross-face blocker. Busy hands with too much wasted motion after the snap. Has short arms and small hands that will end up outside defenders frame.

BOTTOM LINE

Thuney is a three-year starter who has shown overall improvement in all aspects of his game, and the position diversity that offensive line coaches love and need. Thuney will need to move inside to guard where his length and average functional strength could be an issue. Teams are heating up on Thuney and he could go as early as the third round, but I don't see his success on the next level as a lock.

Round 7 '241 overall' :  Moritz Boehringer

OVERVIEW

Boehringer played for the Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns of the German Football League. In the 2015 season, Boehringer had 59 receptions for 1,232 yards and 13 touchdowns in 16 games played.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds 
Vertical: 39 inches 
Broad jump: 10 feet, 11 inches 
20-yard Short shuttle: 4.10 seconds 
3-cone: 6.65 seconds 
Bench: 17 reps of 225 pounds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Exceptional combination of size, speed and short-area quickness. Has rare short-area testing numbers for a receiver with his size. Long, loose strides mangle the cushion of his overmatched cornerbacks. Can stick a foot in the ground and open a throwing window with acceleration. Lightning quick out of route stems. Hands-catcher. Shows ability to track and finish the deep balls with long arms and soft hands. Has home-run speed after the catch and will work the middle and take the hits.

WEAKNESSES

His size and athletic traits overshadow how raw he is. Has played football for a relatively short period of time. Is a step slow getting off line of scrimmage and into his routes. Needs time and reps to learn nuances of route running. Competition level isn't even on the radar and he could outrun most everyone he faced. Will have to learn the art of separation when challenged by athletic, press cornerbacks.

SOURCES TELL US

"He looked good (at his pro day). Anytime a guy covers all the measurables from length to explosion to speed, you tend to get excited. This is the first time I've seen him in person. He's got a chance, but you have to realize he's going against guys who aren't even at a D-III level. How will he deal with that jump in competition? How will he handle an NFL locker room? That's a culture shock. I'm not trying to kill the guy, but let's slow the train down a little." -- NFL area scout

NFL COMPARISON

Jeff Janis

BOTTOM LINE

After his outstanding pro day, the media hype surrounding Boehringer cranked into full gear, but for all of the traits he possesses, he's still in the very early stages of learning the game. While he has feast or famine written all over him, he's competitive and could offer early benefits in kick coverage or as a kick returner while he continues to learn the position. Boehringer's pro day was almost equal to what Jeff Janis put together two years ago and he was drafted in the seventh round after playing Division II football.

Man, that would be an A+ haul without a doubt.