Potential UDFA players

AndySG

With relatively few picks this year, I think that it's more important than ever to find valuable role players AFTER the draft. With that in mind, here are a few players currently projected to go undrafted (according to CBS Sports) who I feel could make our roster and contribute. 

Eric Mac Lain (G) - Clemson - Highly-recruited TE who made the switch to Guard following injuries to the Clemson offensive line. He suggested it to his coaches and went on to become a starter in 2015. Very well thought of as a teammate. A hard worker who was first team All-ACC this year and is still learning the position. I think he will continue to get better. Had a fantastic game against A'shawn Robinson (a probable top 15 pick at DT) in the National Championship game. He's not a mauler but strong enough to hold his own and athletic enough to do the movement-based blocking. Depth next season with room to grow into a starter (similar to Schraeder). 

Donte Deayon (CB) - Boise State - Undersized but a very natural player. Fits best in the slot at the next level but posted great numbers in college (17 ints) on the outside. Plays a lot bigger than he is and reminds me of Ricardo Allen with his attitude and hunger for the game. Loves the physical, scrappy side of the game and hitting an NFL weight room should help him. Somebody will find a use for him. 

Myke Tavarres (LB) - Incarnate Word - ultra-athletic guy who returned kicks in college along with being a FCS DPOY finalist, FCS All-American and numerous other awards. Was very productive in his lone season following transfer from Arkansas. He isn't the biggest but should be a special teams demon and could be a useful rotational piece at WLB. 

Jamie Byrd (S) - South Florida - Could be a hybrid player. Slightly undersized but has tackles, sacks and interceptions to back up his aggression. Another player who could be great on special teams and then find himself making plays when given the chance on defense. 

Feel free to add your own. Knowledge is power etc. 

2 minutes ago, AndySG said:

Would you just sit him behind Mack or try and get him to play Guard?

41 bench reps say he can do whatever he wants. Hes a bit on the short side at 6'2 but I think he could play either in our scheme. Could back up both to begin with

18 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

C Mike Matthews might go undrafted, but I would take him in the 7th and let him try out at Guard for us. 

I love Mike Matthews and wanted him before we signed Mack. Think he's a starter at C in a ZBS at some point of his rookie deal. 

Mike Matthews would be a nice 7th or FA pick-up....

I also like this kid.....

David Morgan II    TE, Texas-San Antonio    (6-4, 262)

12/17/15 - 2015 ALL CONFERENCE-USA SECOND TEAM (COACHES): TE - David Morgan II, UTSA, Sr.,...The senior team captain recorded 45 receptions for 566 yards (12.6 avg.) and a UTSA single-season record five touchdowns while grading out as one of the top blocking tight ends in the country. He currently ranks eighth among the nation's tight ends in receptions and 10th in receiving yards. Morgan II set a then-school mark with nine catches in the season opener at then-No. 22 Arizona (Sept. 3) and matched that total five games later against Louisiana Tech (Oct. 10) en route to honorable mention John Mackey Tight End of the Week accolades following both outings. His 109 yards against the Wildcats was UTSA’s first 100-yard receiving performance in three seasons and his two touchdown grabs against the Bulldogs matched the program’s single-game record. A member of this year's midseason Mackey Award watch list, the Marble Falls native was a 2014 honorable mention all-conference selection. - UTSA Football

You are so right this may be the most important UDFA ever! The talent is right down the street. TE J. Rome, RB Q. Hicks, Sterling Bailey, Josh Dawson, NT Chris Hayes. At GT FS J Golden, CB Chris Milton and they have a few athletic OL's over there. Ga. SOUTHERN and West Georgia have at least one we should look at.

Virginia DE Trent Corney. He's an athletic freak and was never given an opportunity to really be a pass rusher at college. His coaches basically threatened to bench him if he didn't play contain on every play and it really killed his production, but I think our aggressive coaching staff combined with his athletic upside and motor could turn him into something legitimately special. There's a single video I've found of him on youtube that really impresses me, especially against the run which makes sense since that's what he was asked to focus on. He put Ronnie Stanley on his @ss as well.