Jump to content

Leonard Floyd Wants To "Kill"


HaRdH3ad
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Although teams seem split on which position is best for 6-foot-6, 244-pound Floyd, the Falcons view him first as an inside linebacker capable of showing his range in coverage and being the ideal blitzer. Floyd could, of course, be a key part of the third-down rush package."

Edited by HaRdH3ad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome. I really hope we end up with him come draft day.

I was talking to one of the PFF guys on Twitter and Floyd has a positive grade in coverage, a positive grade against the run as an edge rusher, AND a positive grade against the run as an off-ball LB. The dude is just flat out the complete package. Best edge rusher in this class and now with Jack & Smith both being huge question marks in the health department, I think an argument can be made that Floyd is also the best off-ball LB in this class. I just hope he drops to us and doesn't end up a Bear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

This is awesome. I really hope we end up with him come draft day.

I was talking to one of the PFF guys on Twitter and Floyd has a positive grade in coverage, a positive grade against the run as an edge rusher, AND a positive grade against the run as an off-ball LB. The dude is just flat out the complete package. Best edge rusher in this class and now with Jack & Smith both being huge question marks in the health department, I think an argument can be made that Floyd is also the best off-ball LB in this class. I just hope he drops to us and doesn't end up a Bear.

Tell me about it...lol yo imagine having a 6'6 MLB swatting passes away from tight ends and rushing the passer. I honestly think taking this dude would kill 2 birds with one stone. I hope we get him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leonard Floyd, and I hope I am wrong, but if I had to bet "boom or bust" I would bet "bust".   Being a great athlete does not make you a great football player - Floyd is a FREAK athlete - but he is not a consistent playmaker.    In three years at UGA, he was a "flash" player who would make a splashy play here or there and then disappear for a game or two.   To me, that is not worth the #17 overall pick in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Floyd isn't a small guy weight wise anymore. He is probably around or over 250lbs now. Also, despite being 6'6 he is freakishly athletic so that could help him gain leverage.

The NFL is too fast and violent in the middle for athleticism to trump physics to the extent you claim. That high center of gravity will come back to bite you early and often. 

Floyd is pass-rushing OLB or bust.

Edit: I'm trying to imagine Floyd going after Devonta in practice and its actually pretty comical.

Edited by FalconAge
Thought of something
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ICD said:

its very unlikely he is there at 17. Would probably have to move up to grab him.

would you trade a pick next year? 

 

 

considering the "boom or bust" nature of Leonard Floyd - you would NEVER trade up to get him.....never, ever, ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Leonard Floyd, and I hope I am wrong, but if I had to bet "boom or bust" I would bet "bust".   Being a great athlete does not make you a great football player - Floyd is a FREAK athlete - but he is not a consistent playmaker.    In three years at UGA, he was a "flash" player who would make a splashy play here or there and then disappear for a game or two.   To me, that is not worth the #17 overall pick in the draft.

See this right here is why I don't understand how you like Darron Lee, if you do. I'm assuming based on you stance vs Ragland.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FalconAge said:

The NFL is too fast and violent in the middle for athleticism to trump physics to the extent you claim. That high center of gravity will come back to bite you early and often. 

Floyd is pass-rushing OLB or bust.

 

MLBs are becoming more athletic in today's game.

 

If Floyd's athletic ability allows him to play lower than his height then leverage would be less of a problem.

 

Quinn will use him similar to how the Cards used Daryl Washington. As a fast ILB that will cover and blitz often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Floyd and think he has potential to be the best pass rusher in the draft. I didn't like him playing inside at GA and won't be thrilled to see it here, but so long as he is rushing the passer when it counts, I don't care.

He has been my number 1 guy for months. I hope he is there. Projections are all over the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

MLBs are becoming more athletic in today's game.

 

If Floyd's athletic ability allows him to play lower than his height then leverage would be less of a problem.

 

Quinn will use him similar to how the Cards used Daryl Washington. As a fast ILB that will cover and blitz often.

You don't have to sell me on linebackers becoming more athletic, I'm already there. All the athleticism in the world isn't going to help you when you are up against Guards and Centers who are about 3 inches shorter and 60-70 pounds heavier. Going up against runningbacks who can be as much as 9 inches shorter with nimble little legs to match, and you are going to be in for a lot of unsuccessful arm tackles/unintended horse-collars. Floyd's knees alone would need their own protective detail.

Edit: Oh yeah, not well versed on Arizonas lbs, but the guy you listed is about 4 inches shorter which is more in line with an average linebacker.

Edited by FalconAge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

I know that, I just thought Lee was your 1b. What's your top 3 for 17 then? 

well, I am just going to list guys that at least have a chance of falling to us:

  1. Shaq Lawson, DE
  2. Jack Conklin, OG/OT
  3. Darron Lee, OLB
  4. Kevin Dodd, DE

Look, I'm not going 10 rounds with you again between Reggie Ragland and Darron Lee.   Lee is a nickel linebacker that excels in coverage and flies around.   Ragland is a better tackler and run defender.   Is Ragland decent in basic zone coverage on NFL level? maybe.   I just value the skills that Darron Lee brings moreso than the skills that Ragland brings.   I see Darron Lee as a hybrid player - and yes his game has weaknesses as he is not stout (Ragland is) and Lee won't hold up against the run as well as Ragland will - no one doubts that.   Does Lee have a higher bust factor than Ragland?  probably.    I just believe that the skills that Darron Lee bring are more unique skills and harder to find.    I see players like Brandon Spikes and EJ Henderson and big thumpers like that - good players - Ragland is a good player - but 63% of the game is passing and 37% is running so I am going to favor the defensive player that is better against the pass - and that player is Darron Lee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

You don't have to sell me on linebackers becoming more athletic, I'm already there. All the athleticism in the world isn't going to help you when you are up against Guards and Centers who are about 3 inches shorter and 60-70 pounds heavier. Going up against runningbacks who can be as much as 9 inches shorter with nimble little legs to match, and you are going to be in for a lot of unsuccessful shoulder tackles. Floyd's knees alone would need their own protective detail.

 

Floyd would much versatility that I don't think that he will have to rush from the inside on sure passing downs. He could move over to SLB or even nickel DE at times.

 

Floyd can be used as a chess piece all over the field along with Beasley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been a Floyd over Lee guy ffrom the beginning. There literallynothing Lee can do significantly better,  if at all, than Floyd. 

Folks bringing his height as a disadvantage are just trying too hard. Please give me precedence where a player's height at MLB has been a negative. Also in our scheme the MLB is always asked to do traditional MLB things. We need coverage ability some pass rush and tackling from our MLB, he provides all of the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...