Ryan: Falcons "further along" in Shanahan's offense

Atlanta is bound to tap the draft for defensive help, but Falcons fans also want to see the offense take a step forward in 2016.

Coming off an up-and-down season, quarterback Matt Ryan said Tuesday that he's "excited" for the chance to grow in Year 2 under play-caller Kyle Shanahan.

0ap2000000343119.jpg

"There's that four or five seconds in your head where you're trying to sort out what we're doing," Ryan said of last year's struggles, per Jeff Schultz of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "As you're in a system more, you start focusing on the things that are important -- what you're going against defensively, what your keys are in protection, what you're looking for from a coverage standpoint."

The wheels fell off after Atlanta's 6-1 start, with Ryan ultimately throwing 16 picks -- the second most of his career -- and losing eight fumbles, his most in eight seasons.

Adjusting to a new attack is no easy trick, one reason Ryan and the passing game, especially, should be more in sync come September. The addition of Pro Bowl center Alex Mack and wideout Mohamed Sanu will help.

Ryan told reporters that he noticed an uptick in synergy during a recent passing camp in Miami, saying: "I think everybody was more comfortable ... I could already tell we were a lot further along than we were even at certain points midway through the season last year."

April and May are filled with these overly optimistic missives from every team league-wide. Shanahan, though, has proven his offense can work, leaving Ryan as a strong candidate to improve on last year's less-than-pristine campaign.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654231/article/ryan-falcons-further-along-in-shanahans-offense

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only question I would love to ask is that if the offense was that difficult for the guys last year, why wasn't it just dumbed down a little. I think I remember Roddy saying they weren't where they truly wanted to be until late in the season and it was clear that the struggle was real all year. Things could have possibly been better had they simplified the offense until everyone was comfortable imo

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The only question I would love to ask is that if the offense was that difficult for the guys last year, why wasn't it just dumbed down a little. I think I remember Roddy saying they weren't where they truly wanted to be until late in the season and it was clear that the struggle was real all year. Things could have possibly been better had they simplified the offense until everyone was comfortable imo

I get what you are saying. ...I think the reason why the playbook wasn't dumbed down may have been due to possible pushback from Kyle. He has a history of not being very flexible with changes to his offensive plans.

13 minutes ago, kmbutts said:

I get what you are saying. ...I think the reason why the playbook wasn't dumbed down may have been due to possible pushback from Kyle. He has a history of not being very flexible with changes to his offensive plans.

I get that but doesn't Quinn have the authority to step up and make that necessary change himself. Every stubborn adult has to be humbled at some point in their life 

32 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You know it was Shanahan being stubborn. I don't get why Quinn didn't step in either. I do remember Shanny saying later in the season after the losing streak that he put in a few plays Matt had been running in the past, but the season was lost at that point. Quinn has to be willing to fire Shanahan if necessary, or he'll go down with him.

14 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

You know it was Shanahan being stubborn. I don't get why Quinn didn't step in either. I do remember Shanny saying later in the season after the losing streak that he put in a few plays Matt had been running in the past, but the season was lost at that point. Quinn has to be willing to fire Shanahan if necessary, or he'll go down with him.

I agree. All that amped up and fired up **** had to just be media talk. I hope he was chewing some ***** out behind the scenes. Just knowing Shanahan was his guy makes me believe he won't be the one to pull the trigger if it doesn't change. 

This problem should have been rectified during the season. Shanahan should have Let Matt pick the plays he likes and throw out the ones that he doesn't feel comfortable with. You can blame some of the turnovers on bad snaps, but the interceptions would have been curtailed somewhat by letting Matt have a bit more autonomy over the playbook.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just curious, didn't Roddy also say the routes had way to many combinations and things were overly complicated when they didn't have to be?

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

If I remember right we started dumbing things down and defenses started picking up keys...then we did something before Jax that improved us for 2 games then we had the same problems against NO. Think last year was just one of those low points QBs and their offenses have in their careers. Hopefully time has fixed most of the problems

The concern with dumbing down the offense is that you don't learn through game action.

Sometimes the growing pains are necessary for....growth. I think we as fans see the struggle and automatically think that something has to be done or changed when in actuality the best option is to stay the course. JMO

32 minutes ago, BritFalcon said:

This problem should have been rectified during the season. Shanahan should have Let Matt pick the plays he likes and throw out the ones that he doesn't feel comfortable with. You can blame some of the turnovers on bad snaps, but the interceptions would have been curtailed somewhat by letting Matt have a bit more autonomy over the playbook.

How will he ever get comfortable then?

3 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

How will he ever get comfortable then?

He will given time. You can't just throw an entire new offense at him and expect instant results. Shanahan basically threw Matt an entire textbook and said "go learn Quantum Mechanics." It was quite obvious to those on the outside that Matt was struggling with the elements of the offense last season. At that point, Shanahan needed to dumb it down a little, let Matt focus on plays that he was fine with and incrementally add new ones to allow him to fully master it.

Shanahan failed to do this, which is why so many mistakes were made. When someone doesn't get what you're trying to teach them, you need to be able to come at it at a different angle to help them understand. Having Mack and another offseason available will help for sure, but Shanahan needs to be a bit more flexible with people who have never played in this type of offense. 

I still don't have that warm-fuzzy with Insanahan. His play calling sucked most of the year. I also don't like a coach that carries a grudge which was so clear with White. Shanahan doesn't use the deep ball to set up underneath passing much at all. With a player like Jones that is stupid, Insane. Thus the Insanahan

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yeah, last year should have been a bridge year....concepts that would ring bells in the guys heads more quickly. But thats just shannahan.....assimilate or die!!!!!

13 minutes ago, jgentry162 said:

I still don't have that warm-fuzzy with Insanahan. His play calling sucked most of the year. I also don't like a coach that carries a grudge which was so clear with White. Shanahan doesn't use the deep ball to set up underneath passing much at all. With a player like Jones that is stupid, Insane. Thus the Insanahan

He appears to be arrogant and immature 

Here's the thing that bothers me the most. His wife posted a picture of him studying the new playbook the same day the new staff was hired. Matt Ryan is a smart dude, and he's never had an issue with an offense before. Even digging into the playbook from day one of Shanahan's hire, he still had some major issues with the offense in the first year. That points back to Shanahan in my opinion. There's a point where you hit information overload and it's just too much to process. Shanny should have implemented a "Year 1" playbook to allow Matt and Co. to get the main concept, and then this season really give them his full playbook to digest. Last season wouldn't have been as chaotic on the field, and they would have been able to transition into the full playbook with ease this season.

13 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Here's the thing that bothers me the most. His wife posted a picture of him studying the new playbook the same day the new staff was hired. Matt Ryan is a smart dude, and he's never had an issue with an offense before. Even digging into the playbook from day one of Shanahan's hire, he still had some major issues with the offense in the first year. That points back to Shanahan in my opinion. There's a point where you hit information overload and it's just too much to process. Shanny should have implemented a "Year 1" playbook to allow Matt and Co. to get the main concept, and then this season really give them his full playbook to digest. Last season wouldn't have been as chaotic on the field, and they would have been able to transition into the full playbook with ease this season.

I mentioned that a while back as well. He was the first to have a playbook 

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

If I remember right we started dumbing things down and defenses started picking up keys...then we did something before Jax that improved us for 2 games then we had the same problems against NO. Think last year was just one of those low points QBs and their offenses have in their careers. Hopefully time has fixed most of the problems

Considering the players had issues with play calling and Matt and Roddy both spoke up at the end of the year I don't think that had anything to do with it. The playbook and play caller was clearly the culprit