MMQBSI - Reggie Ragland Film

runshoot

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think he's going to be a very good pro. I'm just not sure he fits what DQ is looking for at the second level. Which might be a shame because, as others have stated, his limitations are being overstated. 

very similiar player to Curtis Lofton.   These type guys go in the 2nd round.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/curtis-lofton?id=774

ANALYSIS

CURTIS LOFTON 6'0" 238LBS

STRENGTHS

Positives: His frame is stocky, but not overly thick, with solid overall muscle development, tapered hamstrings and a thick chest, broad shoulders and defined calves...Instinctive player with above-average quickness and playing speed to close on the ball with good urgency...Physical tackler with a nose for the ball...Like DeMeco Ryans, his instincts, downhill closing speed and ability to sift for the ball through trash makes him a better prospect in the middle than the strong side...Moves well laterally, but is best when making tackles inside vs. wide plays...Has a solid work ethic and strong leadership ability...Smooth and flexible when giving chase and shows the feet to get good depth in his pass drops...Able to slip and avoid blocks on the move, showing natural pop and strength to bring down ballcarriers on initial contact...Changes direction well and has the acceleration to close...Plays with good emotion and will give chase until the whistle...Will run a long way to deliver a hit and is a violent collision-type tackler who sells out to make plays...Well-respected by the staff and has a solid work ethic, as he will do the little extras to improve...Rarely caught out of position and reacts decisively to the run or pass...Able to anticipate and track the ball in flight...When he sees blocking schemes develop, he moves quickly to avoid...Keeps his pad level down to get inside the offensive lineman and slip blocks...Effective reading the inside run and stepping up to take on the lead blocker in attempts to stack (will struggle vs. double teams)...

Can stuff a fullback and clog the rush lane when he squares his shoulder and lowers his pads to stick his hat in the opponent's chest...Has the upper-body strength and hand punch to reroute tight ends and slot receivers...Adequate when playing over the tight end, playing off blocks and taking good angles when chasing down outside runners...Slippery getting around trash and shows enough range to the sideline to push the run back inside, sifting and scraping, showing the short-area burst to close on the ball...Strong tackler who explodes behind his hits when striking people on contact...

Can lock on and stay on the hip of short-area receivers, thanks to loose hips and quick feet to shadow...Picks up secondary receivers well in the zone and gets a quick break on the ball, showing good hands and vision to track the ball in flight and get to the pass at its high point...Not much of a pass rusher, but on the bull rush, he can bring the heat and chase down ballcarriers from behind.

Negatives: Lacks the ideal size to play strong-side linebacker, as offensive tackles can engulf and neutralize him on the edge, but he is an effective bull rusher...Does not have the pass-rush moves to impact the pocket from an outside position and is best when making plays downhill rather than attacking the backfield on a regular basis...Has good change-of-direction agility, but is just a little stiff in his turn when working in space, with the burst to close...Has a good motor chasing down the ball, but needs to generate better stop-and-go action to recover when he outruns the play...Must use his hands better in attempts to avoid cut blocks...Does not have the "sand in his pants" to stack and control double teams...Has decent wrap-up technique, but is better as a collision-type, drag-down tackler due to his upper-body strength (does not always keep his hands inside his frame to wrap and secure)...Good in his chase pursuit, but can get caught up inside due to his size and when blitzing off the edge, he lacks the array of moves to surprise blockers.

Compares To: DeMECO RYANS-Houston...Like Ryans, Lofton might be a better fit at middle linebacker, where he can feed off his defensive tackles. While he was effective at Oklahoma isolated on the edge over the head of an offensive tackle, the strong-side spot might be his second-best position. He is a smart, instinctive player with quick feet to close, but he is a violent tackler who might get a bit reckless in his pursuit. He is a quick read-and-react type who appears to have the vision and timing to make the interception. With the success that the undersized Ryans had the last two years, teams that view Lofton as a similar player in size and ability won't let him slide on draft day.

Not really. A significantly better athlete than Lofton. 

Here's Lofton: http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/1340/

Here's Ragland: http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/6912/

Lofton was in the 2nd percentile in the 20 yard shuttle. The 4th percentile in the broad jump. The 0th (!!!) percentile in the vertical jump. The 39th in the 40. 

Ragland's 20yd shuttle is in the 61st percentile. His broad jump is in the 60th percentile. His 40 is in the 60th percentile. His vertical is in the 23rd.

Notable players similar to Ragland: Laurinitis, Phillip Wheeler, Lance Briggs.

Notable players similar to Lofton: no one of note. 

Ragland isn't some superlative athlete. But he's not Curtis Lofton either. 

teams just got to figure if he can play when they go to 2 backers in coverage, he was pulled off the field, if they determine he cant then he wont go in the 1st round, most likely. us looking for safety backer hybrids doesnt bode so well for us grabbing this guy i dont think, 

That video is exactly why we should all be careful on certain things. its no way for us to understand what a player is suppose to do on a given play. we see a play and assume a guy messed up or didn't make the play not knowing what his coaches told him to do and what is responsibilities are

24 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

If you get a chance to take a defensive player from Alabama, you take them. ESPECIALLY a MLB.

Interesting. i had always felt like Bama defensive players underperformed in the NFL compared to what they did in college. What would be your list of the top Bama defensive players in the NFL?

DeMeco Ryans, Rolando McClain, Courtney Upshaw, CJ Mosley, Dont'a Hightower - that's the list of Bama LBs on current NFL rosters. While not scrubs by any means, have any of these established themselves as "elite" pros? Or even the best defensive player on their team? Mosley would be the best of the group, followed by Hightower, in terms of team success and individual accolades, but neither would make anyone's list of top 5 LBs in the game, would they? Maybe i'm being too harsh.

There was a reason Lofton didn't see a second contract here. You can't spend a mid-1st rounder on that sort of guy.

I'll give Ragland credit, he didn't seem unathletic vs. Tennessee who has speed for days on offense, but there's a reason he wasn't a 3 down player at Bama.

I'd much rather draft Floyd or Lawson at 17, trade back for Ogbah, or gamble on Lee.

49 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Interesting. i had always felt like Bama defensive players underperformed in the NFL compared to what they did in college. What would be your list of the top Bama defensive players in the NFL?

DeMeco Ryans, Rolando McClain, Courtney Upshaw, CJ Mosley, Dont'a Hightower - that's the list of Bama LBs on current NFL rosters. While not scrubs by any means, have any of these established themselves as "elite" pros? Or even the best defensive player on their team? Mosley would be the best of the group, followed by Hightower, in terms of team success and individual accolades, but neither would make anyone's list of top 5 LBs in the game, would they? Maybe i'm being too harsh.

Nope not at all - they consistently produce average to mediocre defensive players (their DTs perform the best overall I think)

2 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

DeMeco Ryans is a 2 time Pro Bowl selection and Defensive Rookie of Year.

Just a little over a week left before we get a peak into the minds of DQ and TD.   I'm not a Ragland fan at all but I think a lot of people are like me this year and are willing to accept players who may not be exact fits.   We could do far worse than Ragland.   It really comes down to how the board falls whether I  would see a Ragland pick as okay or a missed opportunity. 

I don't know where you guys get your information, but let me help. Before training camp last year there was a list of the Top 60 ILB put together by BleachReport. But how the came up with the ranking was done pretty well. So how do the Alabama Linebackers rank? 

3rd CJ Mosley

11th Rolando McClain

26th Demeco Ryans

The stats don't lie about any of these guys. But let's look at the some of the assessments made on my favorite MLB, CJ Mosley. Read what they are saying about his COVERAGE capabilities and tell me if it's not EXACTLY what they are saying about Ragland. I'd take my chances.

3. C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens

Run Defense

28/30

C.J. Mosley (6’2”, 235 lbs) wasted no time making an impact in his rookie season. A 16-game starter right out of the gate, Mosley wowed with 107 solo tackles (credited with 133 by NFL.com) and turned heads with his anticipation, instincts and football IQ. The athletic side of things were equally good for Mosley, as he showed he could stack up blockers and make the play to shed them and find the ball.

Pass Rush

5/10

Mosley came into the league with experience as a pass-rusher from his days at Alabama, and the Baltimore Ravens flirted with him as a blitzing backer at times. Mosley accumulated three sacks, nine hits and 13 hurries on passers while flushing the pocket often to push quarterbacks to Elvis Dumervil and Co. on the edge.

Coverage

15/20

You can thank Nick Saban for running a pro-style defense at Alabama, as it allowed a smooth transition for Mosley in pass coverage. His field vision and instincts were very good, and while he lacked some fluid movement to keep pace with elite tight ends over the middle or up the seam, Mosley still impressed for a rookie playing a key role on defense.

Tackling

35/35

It doesn’t get much better than this. Mosley’s tackle numbers were referenced above, and for this project, we wanted to see how many tackles a player makes, how many he misses and how well he put himself into position to make a play. Mosley scored a perfect 35 points. He’s powerful, consistent, reliable and takes ideal angles to attack the ball.

Starter

5/5

There is always a chance that Mosley is a one-year wonder, but what we saw in 2014 was Rookie of the Year quality.

7 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

DeMeco Ryans is a 2 time Pro Bowl selection and Defensive Rookie of Year.

DeMeco was also very good in coverage. Ragland while not a complete liability, is someone who you would rather not have on the field on passing downs. Look at the Ole Miss game. They continuously went after him.  

His lateral movements aren't great which would put him and a disadvantage when trying to cover crossing TEs or WRs. His "heavy" feet and his COD skills are the biggest deterrent to his pass coverage ability.

Now if we were a 3-4 team I'd be all over Ragland. But I don't see him as anything more than a 2 down player here. So that's why I can't justify taking him at 17. I know we have a big need at MLB but this draft is weak at the position. I really hate drafting on need as sometimes it makes you draft a miss fit (while not completely Ragland isn't the best fit).  

8 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

I don't know where you guys get your information, but let me help. Before training camp last year there was a list of the Top 60 ILB put together by BleachReport. But how the came up with the ranking was done pretty well. So how do the Alabama Linebackers rank? 

3rd CJ Mosley

11th Rolando McClain

26th Demeco Ryans

The stats don't lie about any of these guys. But let's look at the some of the assessments made on my favorite MLB, CJ Mosley. Read what they are saying about his COVERAGE capabilities and tell me if it's not EXACTLY what they are saying about Ragland. I'd take my chances.

Run Defense

28/30

C.J. Mosley (6’2”, 235 lbs) wasted no time making an impact in his rookie season. A 16-game starter right out of the gate, Mosley wowed with 107 solo tackles (credited with 133 by NFL.com) and turned heads with his anticipation, instincts and football IQ. The athletic side of things were equally good for Mosley, as he showed he could stack up blockers and make the play to shed them and find the ball.

Pass Rush

5/10

Mosley came into the league with experience as a pass-rusher from his days at Alabama, and the Baltimore Ravens flirted with him as a blitzing backer at times. Mosley accumulated three sacks, nine hits and 13 hurries on passers while flushing the pocket often to push quarterbacks to Elvis Dumervil and Co. on the edge.

Coverage

15/20

You can thank Nick Saban for running a pro-style defense at Alabama, as it allowed a smooth transition for Mosley in pass coverage. His field vision and instincts were very good, and while he lacked some fluid movement to keep pace with elite tight ends over the middle or up the seam, Mosley still impressed for a rookie playing a key role on defense.

Tackling

35/35

It doesn’t get much better than this. Mosley’s tackle numbers were referenced above, and for this project, we wanted to see how many tackles a player makes, how many he misses and how well he put himself into position to make a play. Mosley scored a perfect 35 points. He’s powerful, consistent, reliable and takes ideal angles to attack the ball.

Starter

5/5

There is always a chance that Mosley is a one-year wonder, but what we saw in 2014 was Rookie of the Year quality.

Anybody who's watch both Ragland and Mosley play will know Mosley is the superior player in pass coverage. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Anybody who's watch both Ragland and Mosley play will know Mosley is the superior player in pass coverage. 

You remember how Mosley looked in college in pass coverage? Both projected Top 15 picks for a reason. Just type in draft prospects and look for yourself. They basically say the same things about both of them. The Falcons can pick Lawson or Ragland. For the future, you pick Ragland. If he's HALF as good in coverage as Mosley, we're 10 times better than what we currently have at ILB. 

4 hours ago, UltraTurbo 2000 said:

If a guy is going first round he has to be able to play all 3 downs.  This guy either can or can;t, which is it?

Can't.

He doesn't have the speed to go sideline to sideline and tackle one on one in space. This is a moot point, he has worse lateral agility than jake matthews our LT. Reading everything Quinn has said the last two weeks, I will bet an avatar he will not be the pick.

Capologist lucky he didn't lose my avatar bet on Massaquoui.

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Lmao right, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Mosley is an athletic 236 pound lb who was fast, with good enough 3 cone speed but "couldn't cover elite TE's." 

Ragland is a blubbery 250 lb, who has the lateral agility of an Olineman and can't cover nobody.