Jump to content

Who has the final say on the draft


RYNE
 Share

Recommended Posts

ESPN just posted an article of who has the final say in the draft. This is exactly what I said in a post a few months back and many people said I was wrong. As I said before and as the article states, Dan Quinn has the final say. So complaining about TD is really pointless anymore. You are no longer complaining about the right guy. He is just the contract guy. Don't get me wrong I think TD sucks, but he doesn't have any power now. 

Atlanta Falcons: Falcons coach Dan Quinn has final say over the 53-man roster. And although Quinn continues to express his admiration for general manager Thomas Dimitroff and values the partnership they have, Dimitroff doesn't have the power he once had, as owner Arthur Blank demanded changes. When Dimitroff was asked about making the call on drafting players, he said, "In the end, if the head coach is totally against a player, the success rate of that player working out obviously is quite low." In other words, Quinn has the final say. -- Vaughn McClure

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RYNE said:

ESPN just posted an article of who has the final say in the draft. This is exactly what I said in a post a few months back and many people said I was wrong. As I said before and as the article states, Dan Quinn has the final say. So complaining about TD is really pointless anymore. You are no longer complaining about the right guy. He is just the contract guy. Don't get me wrong I think TD sucks, but he doesn't have any power now. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both

The person with the final say on the draft is the GM. That would be Dimi. Whether a mastermind or puppet. He did good with Pioli the last couple years. Time to see what his new GM triumvirate will do. Hopefully they do well. We need rest. Regardless of what goes down, Dimi is the 2016 GM of record. Keep him out of the war room please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The person with the final say on the draft is the GM. That would be Dimi. Whether a mastermind or puppet. He did good with Pioli the last couple years. Time to see what his new GM triumvirate will do. Hopefully they do well. We need rest. Regardless of what goes down, Dimi is the 2016 GM of record. Keep him out of the war room please.

 I just showed an article that clearly state Quinn has the final say and you are still disputing it? 

IF TD still had the final say over the picks he would not be here. Like I said in the old post the reason Quinn "likes" TD so much is because he just does the contracts. Quinn wants to run the show and he is doing so. Probably what attracted Quinn alone with #2 and #11 to Atlanta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This article is saying it's a collaboration between hc and GM like almost all of us sane folk try to say .....

I don't doubt that a bit. But if there are 2 players everyone wants Quinn gets his choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RYNE said:

 I just showed an article that clearly state Quinn has the final say and you are still disputing it? 

IF TD still had the final say over the picks he would not be here. Like I said in the old post the reason Quinn "likes" TD so much is because he just does the contracts. Quinn wants to run the show and he is doing so. Probably what attracted Quinn alone with #2 and #11 to Atlanta 

I didn't read your article. From your post it sounds like Dimi is a puppet. Good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I didn't read your article. From your post it sounds like Dimi is a puppet. Good.

Exactly. So much better than him making the picks. So far Quinn drafts are looking good aside from Collins. We will see in ten days. I want Lawson or trade down and get more picks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Good to know.  Letting Quinn get Quinn guys.  

It is exactly how it has been the last many years.. I can't believe people don't know that the GM works with the HC and always has.. They discuss it till the both agree.. But the HC has 51% more power to take a player..  Nothing New here no matter how things get turned on their head.. HC has always had to right of finial say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y'all are such drama queens.  It's very simple.  Yes, Quinn has final say on who makes the roster, but Dimi has final say over who is drafted.  All he's saying is that although it is his final say on who is drafted, he's not going to take anyone without Quinn's approval.

He's basically saying Q has "veto power", which is a semantic but not insignificant difference than "final say".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, osiruz said:

It's a collaborative effort, but TD has final say.

Yes he does.. But no doubt if the HC was against it,, And the HC wanted another player,,, TD would go with the player that the HC wanted most.. But it is a decision both sides feel agree on before the pick.. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GM brings 90+ players to camp each year made up of FA and draftees.  GM makes final decision on which players make up the 90+ And which get cut for cap reasons or extended or drafted.  

Head coach has final say to choose which 53 to keep out of that 90.  Neither statement excludes nor contradicts the other one.  Smart coaches and GMs work together, but each has a different "final decision" time and place.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

It is exactly how it has been the last many years.. I can't believe people don't know that the GM works with the HC and always has.. They discuss it till the both agree.. But the HC has 51% more power to take a player..  Nothing New here no matter how things get turned on their head.. HC has always had to right of finial say.

I've seen you say this so many times in so many posts that I guess you must actually believe it.  Holds about as much water as that garbage in your sig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Makes me wonder just how much input Pioli has, as well as all the other former GMs we have on staff. 
Bottom line is, I hope it's a collaborative effort, like it should be --- I mean, 5 or 6 heads are better than one, right?  Well, maybe it depends on which heads you're talking about.  Anyway, just give me the best players available, and if we can come out of this draft with 3 legitimate starters, I'll be more that happy! 

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!! 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RYNE said:

 I just showed an article that clearly state Quinn has the final say and you are still disputing it? 

IF TD still had the final say over the picks he would not be here. Like I said in the old post the reason Quinn "likes" TD so much is because he just does the contracts. Quinn wants to run the show and he is doing so. Probably what attracted Quinn alone with #2 and #11 to Atlanta 

Not at all, your article states that Quinn has final say on the 53 man roster, which we already knew. They then pluck out a quote that essentially says if the head coach really doesn't want a player, there is no point in a GM picking him because he won't play him - that just sounds like common sense to me and which applies to all 32 teams in the league. 

The GM has final say on the draft and the HC has final say on the 53 man roster. Both will be collaborative efforts. This is fairly standard practice around the NFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The person with the final say on the draft is the GM. That would be Dimi. Whether a mastermind or puppet. He did good with Pioli the last couple years. Time to see what his new GM triumvirate will do. Hopefully they do well. We need rest. Regardless of what goes down, Dimi is the 2016 GM of record. Keep him out of the war room please.

lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...