Arthur Blank Laying Out His Expectations - Good Luck TD...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn isn't going anywhere period.  I think Blank meant three players that can start somewhere and contribute.  

I don't care if you have 10 draft picks chances of a team finding three brand new rookies that actually start any postion is very seldom.(start and be an above average player)

2 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Yea...CJ Mosley, Luke Keuchly, Patrick Peterson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and many others were horrible as rookies...

I'm not debating TDs drafting, but simply that rookies cant produce and contribute at a high level...

That Beckham fellow for NYG was absolutely HORRENDOUS his rookie year. My goodness, I'd rather have had Joe Dirt out there playing WR instead of some rookie from LSU. 

/p

12 minutes ago, CTann said:

That Beckham fellow for NYG was absolutely HORRENDOUS his rookie year. My goodness, I'd rather have had Joe Dirt out there playing WR instead of some rookie from LSU. 

/p

Tbh that's rare though, and I called for us to draft ODB. He had rare ability coming out of college. Most rookies struggle their first season.

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

The problem with these expectations is the pressure goes up on current draft classes for the failure of past classes.  

The last time the Falcons got three (or more) starters out of a draft class was 2008.

2008: 4 (Matt Ryan, Sam Baker, Curtis Lofton, Thomas DeCoud

2009: 2 (Peria Jerry, William Moore)

2010: 2 (Sean Weatherspoon, Corey Peters)

2011: 2 (Julio Jones, Matt Bosher)

2012: 0

2013: 2 (Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford)

2014: 2 (Jake Matthews, DeVonta Freeman)

2015: 1 (Vic Beasley)

So through 8 years of Thomas Dimitroff draft data, we are averaging slightly less than 2 starters/year - and that is factoring in 2008.   If you just look at the last 7 years, it is more like 1.5 starters/yr.

Two starters is really the most realistic expectation we can have.

Yes it does, but 2014 has produced 4 starters (Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, and now Allen)

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

The problem with these expectations is the pressure goes up on current draft classes for the failure of past classes.  

The last time the Falcons got three (or more) starters out of a draft class was 2008.

So through 8 years of Thomas Dimitroff draft data, we are averaging slightly less than 2 starters/year - and that is factoring in 2008.   If you just look at the last 7 years, it is more like 1.5 starters/yr.

In all honesty we would've easily had 3 starters last year if it weren't for depth. Coleman would've started and Jarret would've started. Therezie should've been our starting slot corner too last year. Not Adams and Godfrey (granted Therezie was a udfa, not a draft pick).

3 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

In all honesty we would've easily had 3 starters last year if it weren't for depth. Coleman would've started and Jarret would've started. Therezie should've been our starting slot corner too last year. Not Adams and Godfrey (granted Therezie was a udfa, not a draft pick).

yeah, but they had 4 starters from the 2014 class due to Quinn and staff.

5 hours ago, atlbaby said:

Yes it does, but 2014 has produced 4 starters (Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, and now Allen)

Hageman is rotational.  Allen? Yes, I should have included him but he is not established enough to even really now if he will be starter going forward.  Including Matt Bosher is being generous as kickers really should not even be drafted.

Sorry but I can't take these click bait stories seriously. Who knows what Arthur is thinking? I don't

But from the quotes, The headline could have easily read.

Arthur Blank looking forward to the draft, encouraged by the tremendous amount of work done by Thomas and Dan and is pleased that the Two of them share the same sense of needs and players.

But I guess that isn't sexy?

Honestly AB needs to go play with his soccer team and keep a low profile about the Falcons right now. It was his decision to keep TD after 8 yrs of failing to produce a winning roster.....much less finding a pass rush. I wouldn't count on three starters with TD doing the picking....heck I wouldn't  count on developing three starters to ever start from this draft with TD in charge. But then again that was Mike Smiths fault.....

Arthur need to go sit down. All he gonna do is promote Dimitroff  to President of Dining Room and Training Camp Operations and hire 3 more ex general managers to run the next draft. The FALCON FILTER ALWAYS WINS:

sm__trdu_ptr04-00000-13.jpg

Edited by slickgadawg
7 hours ago, atlbaby said:

I love how poster neglect to mention that fact in their posts...My guess is the next argument is that they need to be upgraded...

The expectation level for every position on these boards is ridiculous...

How many immediate starters is a GM expected to draft in a two year period? At most, 6 and that is stretching it....that's not to even say those are "impact" draftees....To assume a pro bowl player is going to come out of the 5th round or later is blasphemous....I only expect 2 year 1 starters in a draft (hit on 2 out of first 3 rounds)...after that, anyone that contribute sin a rotation, or develops is gravy...

The expectation from AB for this draft is either going to push it into greatness or ultimately end TDs tenure...

I think we have no choice but to trade down and play the numbers game for potential starters...

The talent level at 17 is no different than that at 25-30....or even 40....I just hope we dont "LOCK IN" on a certain player....

14 hours ago, RazorWing said:

Td on thin ice. I think that 2012 draft still bothers blank. In That 2012 draft those players are supposed to be in their prime by now. And helping this team push toward superbowl contention. And missing on that draft class. Crippled this franchise.

I really wish people had critical thinking skills. This includes Vaughn McClure.

Its repeatedly posted that our 2012 draft was so bad, etc etc. Thing is, just about everyone had a horrible draft that year. Here are a list of teams that had their top pick bust or had multiple bad picks who are out of the league.  Atlanta, Dallas, 49ers, Jacksonville, Cleveland, NO, Giants, Oakland, washington. Thats just a quick glance. Yes Seattle hit gold, Philly did decent as did The Colts. 

the 2012 draft class was poor at best. Saying a teams draft class stunk its like saying water is wet.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Hageman is rotational.  Allen? Yes, I should have included him but he is not established enough to even really now if he will be starter going forward.  Including Matt Bosher is being generous as kickers really should not even be drafted.

Hageman isn't any more rotational than anyone else on the DL. He played the second most snaps among DTs on the roster trailing only Babs. 

17 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I guess the question is whether or not Blank meant he wanted 3 out of 4 to be starters this year or not.

This breakdown leaves out a lot of players who eventually became starters, whether through preference or being forced into a larger role due to injury/attrition, like: Harry Douglas, Kroy Biermann, Chris Owens, Garrett Reynolds, Joe Hawley, Akeem Dent, Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes, Levine Toilolo, Kemal Ishmael.

It also leaves out players who weren't necessarily "starters", but who contributed a heavy snap count. like: Chevis Jackson, Vance Walker, Jacquizz Rodgers, Cliff Matthews, Ra'Shede Hageman, Jalen Collins, Tevin Coleman, Justin Hardy, and Grady Jarrett.  Several of these younger players may eventually become starters.

And, finally, this also leaves out UDFAs who became full or part-time starters, like: Rafael Bush, Darrin Walls, Josh Harris, Bryce Harris, James Stone, Joplo Bartu, Paul Worrilow, Ryan Schraeder, and Robensen Therezie.

Now I'm saying all of the players listed above were good.  Many are just average or below-average players.  A few we let slip away to other teams, where they went on to have better careers.

But having 3 of our first 4 players become starters within the next 1-3 years is not unreasonable.  Especially if one of those picks is a tight end, who typically take 3 years to accustom to the pro game.