Only Mock

HEIST

Here's what I've been thinking for a draft. Tried to target mostly guys who tested well, since we seem to be headed in that direction if you look at our last couple of drafts (especially last year's). I also included a small trade for the first time, since it doesn't seem to be a matter of "if" TD will make a draft day trade, but "when." 

2555285.jpg

Leonard Floyd LB Georgia - Round 1 Pick 17

• We need a good linebacker in the worst way. Floyd works through traffic well, covers a lot of ground in a hurry with those long strides, and is more instinctual than he gets credit for. Ideally he will be a Jamie Collins type player: capable of matching up with just about anyone, playing multiple spots along the defense, and offering plus pass rush ability.

2555154.jpg

Darian Thompson S Boise State - Round 2 Pick 50  

• Dan Quinn has preached that it's all about the ball from Day 1. So why not go out and get one of the best ball-hawks in this entire draft class? While coverage is where Thompson's bread and butter is at, he is also very capable against the run and is not afraid to lower the boom. At 6'2 210 pounds, he would step in at SS next to Ricardo Allen and give us a dangerous tandem. 

2555162.jpg

Deion Jones LB LSU - Round 3 Pick 72

• We trade up with Chicago, swapping our 3rd and 4th round picks and sending a 5th rounder next year. The Bears have an extra pick later in the 4th round, trading allows them to have two selections within 10 draft spots of each other. This trade allows us to hop LB needy teams like the Saints and Dolphins to select Jones. A lot of people think Jones could go earlier than this, but I see him as a late 2nd to early 3rd pick. His old teammate Kwon Alexander was actually a 4th round pick and we saw first hand how good he was. In this case, I think that we need to get in front of the Saints in order to make Deion Jones a Falcon. After him, I am not a huge fan of the other linebackers.
  • Let me know about that trade. This is my first time ever trying to project a trade in a mock. I saw that the Eagles flipped 4th rounders with the Titans to get rid of Demarco Murray which gave me the idea. The trade value chart as I understand it says that with a 5th rounder this would be close enough though I could be wrong obviously. If it doesn't work for you, then just imagine that he falls to our pick at 81 and it doesn't change too much in this mock.

2555281.jpg

Joe Thuney OG NC State - Round 4 Pick 127

• Thuney is a highly athletic offensive lineman that we've shown a decent amount of interest in. He did a solid job vs Shaq Lawson as a tackle, but in the NFL he'd more than likely fill in at RG for us. I do believe he's the only offensive lineman to run a sub 5.0 40 yard dash, his measurements in general were well above the average OL measurements. With the defensive lines on our schedule, we need to make sure we get a worthy competitor for that last OL spot. 

2555487.jpg

Beau Sandland TE Montana State - Round 7 Pick 238 

• Sandland is a good athlete with very long arms and huge hands. While Tamme is good, he should not be a long term piece. Right now, Sandland's main goal should be to beat out Toilolo. He fights hard for extra yards after the catch and gives good effort in blocking. Just a lot of upside and I could legitimately see him making the roster.

On 4/17/2016 at 4:41 PM, HEIST said:

Here's what I've been thinking for a draft. Tried to target mostly guys who tested well, since we seem to be headed in that direction if you look at our last couple of drafts (especially last year's). I also included a small trade for the first time, since it doesn't seem to be a matter of "if" TD will make a draft day trade, but "when." 

2555285.jpg

Leonard Floyd LB Georgia - Round 1 Pick 17

• We need a good linebacker in the worst way. Floyd works through traffic well, covers a lot of ground in a hurry with those long strides, and is more instinctual than he gets credit for. Ideally he will be a Jamie Collins type player: capable of matching up with just about anyone, playing multiple spots along the defense, and offering plus pass rush ability.

2555154.jpg

Darian Thompson S Boise State - Round 2 Pick 50  

• Dan Quinn has preached that it's all about the ball from Day 1. So why not go out and get one of the best ball-hawks in this entire draft class? While coverage is where Thompson's bread and butter is at, he is also very capable against the run and is not afraid to lower the boom. At 6'2 210 pounds, he would step in at SS next to Ricardo Allen and give us a dangerous tandem. 

2555162.jpg

Deion Jones LB LSU - Round 3 Pick 72

• We trade up with Chicago, swapping our 3rd and 4th round picks and sending a 5th rounder next year. The Bears have an extra pick later in the 4th round, trading allows them to have two selections within 10 draft spots of each other. This trade allows us to hop LB needy teams like the Saints and Dolphins to select Jones. A lot of people think Jones could go earlier than this, but I see him as a late 2nd to early 3rd pick. His old teammate Kwon Alexander was actually a 4th round pick and we saw first hand how good he was. In this case, I think that we need to get in front of the Saints in order to make Deion Jones a Falcon. After him, I am not a huge fan of the other linebackers.
  • Let me know about that trade. This is my first time ever trying to project a trade in a mock. I saw that the Eagles flipped 4th rounders with the Titans to get rid of Demarco Murray which gave me the idea. The trade value chart as I understand it says that with a 5th rounder this would be close enough though I could be wrong obviously. If it doesn't work for you, then just imagine that he falls to our pick at 81 and it doesn't change too much in this mock.

2555281.jpg

Joe Thuney OG NC State - Round 4 Pick 127

• Thuney is a highly athletic offensive lineman that we've shown a decent amount of interest in. He did a solid job vs Shaq Lawson as a tackle, but in the NFL he'd more than likely fill in at RG for us. I do believe he's the only offensive lineman to run a sub 5.0 40 yard dash, his measurements in general were well above the average OL measurements. With the defensive lines on our schedule, we need to make sure we get a worthy competitor for that last OL spot. 

2555487.jpg

Beau Sandland TE Montana State - Round 7 Pick 238 

• Sandland is a good athlete with very long arms and huge hands. While Tamme is good, he should not be a long term piece. Right now, Sandland's main goal should be to beat out Toilolo. He fights hard for extra yards after the catch and gives good effort in blocking. Just a lot of upside and I could legitimately see him making the roster.

Great mock. My only concern with it is your 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think you may have them reversed in that I think Jones will go in the 2nd before Thompson will. Anyway if it fell like this I would love it. Good job. There is not a player in this mock I do not feel pretty good about. Thuney can play Guard and Center and possibly some swing tackle in a pinch. Sandland is a bit underrated because of all the moving he did in college. Jones will out perform his draft position, Thompson is a good all around safety prospect, and Floyd is the best pass rusher in this draft.

The more I think about it the more I think if we did take Floyd he would take Beasely's spot in the base and Beasley would move to SLB. We would then put Reed in the middle, and Shelby the other base end. In subs Shelby would kick inside and Beasley would drop down to the other end and we would put the Raven SLB.

Edited by Sobeit

2 hours ago, Sobeit said:

Great mock. My only concern with it is your 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think you may have them reversed in that I think Jones will go in the 2nd before Thompson will. Anyway if it fell like this I would love it. Good job. There is not a player in this mock I do not feel pretty good about. Thuney can play Guard and Center and possibly some swing tackle in a pinch. Sandland is a bit underrated because of all the moving he did in college. Jones will out perform his draft position, Thompson is a good all around safety prospect, and Floyd is the best pass rusher in this draft.

The more I think about it the more I think if we did take Floyd he would take Beasely's spot in the base and Beasley would move to SLB. We would then put Reed in the middle, and Shelby the other base end. In subs Shelby would kick inside and Beasley would drop down to the other end and we would put the Raven SLB.

Thanks. Yeah I could see swapping the first two picks around especially with the LB class getting a lot weaker at the top than the SS class.

I really don't want to throw Floyd into the fire vs LTs yet. I like the idea of Reed at MLB though. 

• 2 weeks later...