Avoid Floyd?

Ben Day Hoe

Saw this write-up about Floyd.

Should the Atlanta Falcons roll the dice on Leonard Floyd?

There are few areas that need to be addressed more for the Atlanta Falcons than the position that has plagued this team for nearly five years: linebacker. And with names like Leonard FloydReggie Ragland and Myles Jack, Atlanta is in a prime position to grab one of the athletes that are leaving scouts drooling. But, when it comes to Floyd, there are multiple reasons the Falcons should pass on him.

Coming out of the University of Georgia, it makes sense to fans of the south to see one of the favorite Bulldawgs rising up for Atlanta. But, like most times, fanhood can blind someone from seeing the flaws in a player’s game. And, when I compose this, I want you to know that I bleed the red and black of UGA and used to travel to see Floyd play football in Central Georgia; therefore, if anything, I should be driving the bandwagon of the caravan that’s attempting to get Floyd for the Falcons.

When you look at this player’s film, you’ll quickly see someone who could become like Demarcus Ware in pressuring the quarterback on the blitz. And with great speed, strength  and quickness, Floyd has the tools to become a player like Ware. But that is unfortunately a very high ceiling that, more than likely, Floyd will not reach-especially in the scheme of the Falcons defense.

Under this defensive scheme, players, for the most part, allow the play to come to them rather than causing high-pressured situations. And when you look at what Dan Quinn did in Seattle, it went by the same merit of being in the right position to make the play. And, though this is an integral schematic of defense, a player like Leonard Floyd will not blossom because his abilities are all centered on placing pressure.

When you watch the tape of Floyd and compare it to players like him of the past, the same weakness will be proven  with him as it was with the forerunners before Floyd: if you run the play directly at them, their ability is marginalized.

Watching UGA football for the past few years it was hard to miss Leonard Floyd’s pressure off the corner, but, if you look closer, you will see that Floyd was targeted by running plays just as offensive coordinators did before with an elite pass rusher out of UGA-Jarvis Jones.

The parallels of these two players (Floyd and Jones) are similar and, unfortunately, if you watch a Steelers’ game, you’ll notice what it will be like when you place an elite pass rusher in a bad scheme fit. Jones has failed to live up to his first round draft choice, and Floyd will be the same in Atlanta.

This is not to say that Leonard Floyd will be a horrible professional football player, just pointing out that his ability will be like putting a square through a round hole on this defense. Let’s hope that Atlanta will pass on the former Bulldawg.

http://bloggingdirty.com/2016/04/06/why-the-atlanta-falcons-should-avoid-leonard-floyd/

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we think this guy is this guy and so on. Who knows how a guy is going to be as a Pro? Who knows what is on his head, chest? Sometimes  College Coaches and schemes don't get the best out of a player. We can pick holes in anyone's game. It is sometimes luck.

8 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

if anybody ever compares floyd to jarvis jones, they're literally just telling you, "I HAVE NO CREDIBILITY", right up front. It's really convenient, lets you know who's opinion to take with a grain of salt really quickly.

I think he was comparing him more to Demarcus Ware than Jones. The Jones comparison was to show how even college teams neutralized Floyd's ability by running right at him. He went on to question scheme fit as well. His credibility is at least as good as yours.

This guy doesn't fit in our defensive scheme?? Ridiculous. 

The writer even alludes to our defense being more of a "read and react" defense, which i disagree with as well. 

If DQ can't find a use for Floyds size, speed and athleticism, then scrap this whole stupid coaching staff and bring in someone who knows a little something about football.

Just now, Ben Day Hoe said:

I think he was comparing him more to Demarcus Ware than Jones. The Jones comparison was to show how even college teams neutralized Floyd's ability by running right at him. He went on to question scheme fit as well. His credibility is at least as good as yours.

honestly I don't think Ware is a fair comparison either. I compared Beasley more to Ware, Floyd is a different animal all together.

Just now, Kayoh said:

honestly I don't think Ware is a fair comparison either. I compared Beasley more to Ware, Floyd is a different animal all together.

I guess you are just missing the context. He said his athletic abilities compare to Ware but that would likely be a high and unattainable ceiling. You are carving out small blips in his statements and coming to the wrong conclusions. I know you love Floyd but this guy isn't the only published writer saying Floyd could easily bust, particularly in the wrong scheme.

Floyd doesn't fit what what need right now in my opinion. He is too thin to be a starter at Leo, and Beasley is already being penciled in as the base Sam linebacker. For all the talk that he could even play MLB, You rarely hear of 6 ft. 6 240 middle linebackers and there is a reason. Linebackers need to have leverage in taking on blocks and flowing to the ball carrier. The also need to be able to change direction in a hurry. For those two reasons alone it is actually better to be a bit short playing Mike than it is being really tall. I can only imagine the danger a gangly guy like Floyd's body would be in, caught in the middle of all the action at Mike. He does have plenty of talent though, and could flourish as a 3rd down pass rusher in the 3-4.

Honestly, Quinns whole mantra is gang tackling anyway. He wants everyone at the ball. Floyd won't be the guy to be a thumper but he's fast enough to get there, and tackling technique can be taught. I think Floyd can be a good ILB and an elite pass rusher on passing downs. Quinn uses single high coverage mostly, and has only 2 LBs on the field and a box safety. Floyd and Upshaw would basically be our base LBs and that'd be ok. There's a couple different ways this could go to be honest -- 

Do we see Beasley as an OLB as well? Who rushes in passing situations? I dunno. I just LOVE the idea of Floyd and Beasley off opposite ends. That's some serious speed. 

"An elite pass rusher coming put of Georgia". Lol. Jones wasn't even close to being an elite pass rushing prospect. He is so athletically limited he was almost guaranteed to bust. 

This article makes it seem like Floyd is incapable of putting on weight and getting stronger. Also no mention of his coverage ability. It's obvious how we could use a player like Floyd and how we'd feature him in his rookie year and the following years. I've said it 1000 times before so I'm not going to say it again. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

"An elite pass rusher coming put of Georgia". Lol. Jones wasn't even close to being an elite pass rushing prospect. He is so athletically limited he was almost guaranteed to bust. 

This article makes it seem like Floyd is incapable of putting on weight and getting stronger. Also no mention of his coverage ability. It's obvious how we could use a player like Floyd and how we'd feature him in his rookie year and the following years. I've said it 1000 times before so I'm not going to say it again. 

You sound like you're about take off your belt lol.

Edited by FalconAge

A lot of people watch the good video's of Floyd and get all excited when in fact, he has just as many bad video's showing him getting blown off the ball and bailing out on the play. He's not anywhere near as good as most people think he is and because of this, I would only take him in the later rounds, but he won't be available. So i say lets move on.

6 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

You are completely wromg Jarvis was highly thought of and had the production to match FromNFL.com on Jones

NFL Comparison

Bruce Irvin

Bottom Line

The Peach State native suffered a neck injury his true freshman year at USC, but returned home when cleared by Georgia doctors; the consensus All-American impressed scouts in 2011 with his ability to rush the passer and he didn't let up in 2012, leading the nation in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles. Jones also showed the versatility to play the run and get the job done in coverage. He enters the NFL with some questions with his struggles disengaging at the point of attack and limited length and growth potential, but the production speaks for itself and, as Bruce Irvin reminded us last April, pass rushers don't last long on draft day. Whether or not he would be able to fit in a 4-3 defense like Irvin would depend on how he is used, but he would fit best as a pass rush OLB in a 3-4 like in college.

The team captain started all 14 games, racking up 70 tackles, 19.5 for loss (which led the SEC) and 13.5 sacks (led the SEC, tied for fifth in the country). His four sacks helped the team win its annual rivalry game with Florida and earned him many national defensive player of the week awards. Jones stayed productive in 2012 as a redshirt junior, leading the nation in three categories: sacks (14.5, school record), tackles for loss (24.5, school record) and forced fumbles (7). Add 85 tackles, 4 passes defended and an interception and Jones was one of the top defenders in the country and was a finalist for the Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, Butkus and Lott awards.

You are completely wromg Jarvis was highly thought of and had the production to match FromNFL.com on Jones

NFL Comparison

Bruce Irvin

Bottom Line

The Peach State native suffered a neck injury his true freshman year at USC, but returned home when cleared by Georgia doctors; the consensus All-American impressed scouts in 2011 with his ability to rush the passer and he didn't let up in 2012, leading the nation in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles. Jones also showed the versatility to play the run and get the job done in coverage. He enters the NFL with some questions with his struggles disengaging at the point of attack and limited length and growth potential, but the production speaks for itself and, as Bruce Irvin reminded us last April, pass rushers don't last long on draft day. Whether or not he would be able to fit in a 4-3 defense like Irvin would depend on how he is used, but he would fit best as a pass rush OLB in a 3-4 like in college.

The team captain started all 14 games, racking up 70 tackles, 19.5 for loss (which led the SEC) and 13.5 sacks (led the SEC, tied for fifth in the country). His four sacks helped the team win its annual rivalry game with Florida and earned him many national defensive player of the week awards. Jones stayed productive in 2012 as a redshirt junior, leading the nation in three categories: sacks (14.5, school record), tackles for loss (24.5, school record) and forced fumbles (7). Add 85 tackles, 4 passes defended and an interception and Jones was one of the top defenders in the country and was a finalist for the Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, Butkus and Lott awards.

How am I wrong? I dint share the same thoughts as Jarvis Jones and I could careless what this scouting report had to say. Jones wasnt an elite pass rushing prospect. Not close. Put his number through almost any analytic testing and he was almost guaranteed to not provide value as a 1st round pick. 

I believe this is the NFL.com scouting report right? If so. These idiots compared Floyd to Daryl Washington and Shaq Lawson to Courtney Upshaw. That's all you need to know about what they have to say. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

How am I wrong? I dint share the same thoughts as Jarvis Jones and I could careless what this scouting report had to say. Jones wasnt an elite pass rushing prospect. Not close. Put his number through almost any analytic testing and he was almost guaranteed to not provide value as a 1st round pick. 

I believe this is the NFL.com scouting report right? If so. These idiots compared Floyd to Daryl Washington and Shaq Lawson to Courtney Upshaw. That's all you need to know about what they have to say. 

Despite your opinion, the Pittsburgh Steelers took him in the first round at #17 oddly enough. But somehow you think he wasn't an elite prospect when he was drafted. He was considered an elite prospect by the vast majority of professional scouts not just NFL.com writers.

I remember Floyd having the same play run at him about 15 times and losing to Florida.  He was benched the next week.  Tells me he thought he knew better than the coaches what to do.  He got a little more mature and is an elite athlete, but I agree he's not a good fit for our needs and scheme.

17 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

Despite your opinion, the Pittsburgh Steelers took him in the first round. But somehow you think he wasn't an elite prospect when he was drafted. He was considered an elite prospect by the vast majority of professional scouts not just NFL.com writers.

Do you even know what elite means? Elite prospects don't go as late as Jarvis Jones did. By your logic EJ Manuel was an elite prospect. 

Also can you provide me evidence of all these professional scouts considering Jones an elite prospect? Cause even in that scouting report you posted not once is he even mentioned as an elite prospect. **** he was compared to Bruce Irvin who many considered a 2nd round prospect.  

Just now, Bobby.Digital said:

Do you even know what elite means? Elite prospects don't go as late as Jarvis Jones did. By your logic EJ Manuel was an elite prospect. 

Also can you provide me evidence of all these professional scouts considering Jones an elite prospect? Cause even in that scouting report you posted not once is he even mentioned as an elite prospect. **** he was compared to Bruce Irvin who many considered a 2nd round prospect.  

So now you want to say a first rounder isn't considered an elite prospect? I would think anyone in the top 20 could be considered elite. Jones was taken at 17 oddly enough. Bruce Irvin isn't elite? SMH.

So now you want to say a first rounder isn't considered an elite prospect? I would think anyone in the top 20 could be considered elite. Jones was taken at 17 oddly enough. Bruce Irvin isn't elite? SMH.

OK it's clear you don't know what elite means. If you think there's 20 elite prospects in every class your clueless. 

As for Irvin being elite. Right now in 2016 he's a pretty good even great player. But the comparison on the scouting report was made in 2013. At that time Irvin was just coming off his rookie year in which he was only a situational pass rusher who wasn't even close to player he is now. So Jarvis Jones was essentially compared to Irvin the situational pass rusher. If you remember a year before Bruce Irvin was considered a 2nd round prospect and was considered the worst pick in the 1st round by many "experts". 

9 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

OK it's clear you don't know what elite means. If you think there's 20 elite prospects in every class your clueless. 

As for Irvin being elite. Right now in 2016 he's a pretty good even great player. But the comparison on the scouting report was made in 2013. At that time Irvin was just coming off his rookie year in which he was only a situational pass rusher who wasn't even close to player he is now. So Jarvis Jones was essentially compared to Irvin the situational pass rusher. If you remember a year before Bruce Irvin was considered a 2nd round prospect and was considered the worst pick in the 1st round by many "experts". 

All I am saying is the guy made a fair comparison in his write up. If Floyd gets taken at 17 then that's the same caliber of prospect as Jones was. You make it sound like the writer and the Steelers are stupid and somehow comparing two players who are considerations at the exact same draft slot are ridiculous to compare. That's nonsense! I agree with the writer, the Steelers and the NFL.com writers and say you are completely wrong.