If Myles Jack makes it to our pick, we should still NOT take him.

Kayoh

Jack dropping all the way to our pick at #17 spells horrible things for his NFL future. He's a great player healthy yes, but apparently there are severe issues with his meniscus injury. Typically these injuries heal faster than ACLs, but his still isn't healed properly yet. He wouldn't pass a physical for any NFL team in his current state. This is a guy that has very little football left in his life. We're talking like, might not make it to a 2nd contract. I like the optimism that he might fall to us, but if he does fall to us, that's a big enough red flag that it'd be worth passing on him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't considered Miles Jack to this point, but if for some strange reason that he drops (i don't think he will ) we take him/ because I for one believe he will get over that injury. I really don't understand why he hasn't already. May be worth the risk.

I have no idea where this doom and gloom about Jack's injury is coming from. He is on schedule to be fully healthy by the beginning of the season. Whatever doubts you've heard are smokescreens trying to get him to drop. Which he won't. Jack will be a top 10 pick, and in whatever bizarro world he falls to 17, TD should be sprinting to the podium. 

Can you show me any evidence that he has very little football left in his life? I've seen some reports of teams being worried about his meniscus. But nothing to the extent of what your saying. Also the Jags coaches flew to meet with him in person today FWIF. 

I do see what your saying though. About him being avaliable at our pick. It would be very telling. I guess it all comes down to what the doctors have to say.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

The most that I've seen is that some teams worry about the injury affecting his long term career but I've seen nothing supporting him not being ready for the season, or that teams think that he won't at least play out his rookie contract.

****, with his talent, even if we only got 5 years out of him, at 17, I'd say it's worth it.

20 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If Myles Jack is on the board at 17 we better be doing backflips to the podium.

I somewhat disagree.  I am not as pessimistic as Kayoh, but in one respect he is right.  When a top 5 talent falls to 17th pick, it is not because NFL GMs are stupid.  A shorter career is a shorter career and if said player has a shorter shelf-life, that does diminish the value of the player.

These NFL teams know waaaaaaaaaaay more than anyone on this message board as they have world class orthopedist on staff.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I somewhat disagree.  I am not as pessimistic as Kayoh, but in one respect he is right.  When a top 5 talent falls to 17th pick, it is not because NFL GMs are stupid.  A shorter career is a shorter career and if said player has a shorter shelf-life, that does diminish the value of the player...

Does that really matter?  Maybe his career is 5 to 7 years instead of 11 or 12.  With any draft player (save for maybe players you trade up for), you can only assume 4 years.  I cannot see where a GM who needs a LB doesn't take him unless by shorter career, they mean his knee will never heal correctly and he has two or three years of concern before being done.

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I somewhat disagree.  I am not as pessimistic as Kayoh, but in one respect he is right.  When a top 5 talent falls to 17th pick, it is not because NFL GMs are stupid.  A shorter career is a shorter career and if said player has a shorter shelf-life, that does diminish the value of the player.

These NFL teams know waaaaaaaaaaay more than anyone on this message board as they have world class orthopedist on staff.

So he only plays 5 or 6 years? If we win a Super Bowl is it worth it? You **** straight!!

1 hour ago, Kayoh said:

Jack dropping all the way to our pick at #17 spells horrible things for his NFL future. He's a great player healthy yes, but apparently there are severe issues with his meniscus injury. Typically these injuries heal faster than ACLs, but his still isn't healed properly yet. He wouldn't pass a physical for any NFL team in his current state. This is a guy that has very little football left in his life. We're talking like, might not make it to a 2nd contract. I like the optimism that he might fall to us, but if he does fall to us, that's a big enough red flag that it'd be worth passing on him.

Sorry gotta disagree, meniscus tears are no big deal. If there signs of early osteoarthritis or his cartilage is bone on bone that would be different but it is extremely rare for a top athlete not to recover from a torn meniscus. 

Just now, insight said:

Sorry gotta disagree, meniscus tears are no big deal. If there signs of early osteoarthritis or his cartilage is bone on bone that would be different but it is extremely rare for a top athlete not to recover from a torn meniscus. 

see that's the thing, what I've heard is that he's got a serious lack of cartilage too

10 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Can you show me where you have proof that he won't play 5 years?

Ah, the chicken and the egg argument, eh?

Well, no one can prove anything definitive one way or the other.  A significant clue is 12-13 NFL teams passing on Jack when he is highest rated player left on their board.

If 12 orthopedic surgeons for 12 NFL teams advise their teams not to take a player, what are the odds that the 13thteam's orthopedist is right?  Better yet, what would YOU know that they don't.  I remember 5yrs ago their was a Clemson defensive end that was thought to go top 5 and dropped to mid 2nd round due to some knee issue.  I believe he is out of football now. Tampa drafted him - bust, bust, bust.

When in doubt, take the healthy player without the degenerative condition. ;)

7 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

see the tweet I posted a few notches up there ^^

Yeah, that's unfortunate because that will shorten any football players career. I guess the question is how bad is it because if you get a high impact player for 4 or 5 years at 17, that not a bad deal. 

Edited by insight