ESPN Article - Worst draft move for every NFL team since 2011

primetime

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160412/worst-nfl-draft-move-all-32-teams-2011

The Falcons one was Konz - no surprises here. Of more interest to me was the Baltimore one (see below)

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueBaltimore Ravens: In 2013, the defending Super Bowl champions selected safety Matt Elam, who could be the team's biggest first-round bust. But at least Elam got on the field. That same year, Baltimore traded three draft picks to move up six spots in the second round to get linebacker Arthur Brown. He has yet to start a game and hasn't made a tackle in the past two seasons. Brown was even surpassed on the depth chart by two undrafted players, Zachary Orr and Albert McClellan. There is no guarantee that Brown makes the team this year. -- Jamison Hensley

I know we like to bag TD relentlessly at times here and many posters think that drafting is an easy thing. I can confirm that I was enamoured with Arthur Brown and was 100% sure he would be a star in the NFL. This was coming off our finals loss to San Fran and close win over Seattle where we couldn't cover TEs. I'm prepared to concede I was completely wrong here.  I even wanted to trade with Baltimore a year or two ago for him still. 

15 minutes ago, mumblesjr,jr said:

think this has been posted already. regardless, konz and the rest of the draft that year is TD's worst draft if your not counting julio is the equation.

Julio outside of Ryan was the best pick at a cost but it was well worth it....... And yes this has been posted before..........

20 minutes ago, mumblesjr,jr said:

think this has been posted already. regardless, konz and the rest of the draft that year is TD's worst draft if your not counting julio is the equation.

This post is more about the Baltimore selection of Arthur brown. Quite a few posters were keen on him from memory

Peter Konz was one of my biggest disappointments!  At least, in recent memory. 
I'll never forget seeing him being thrown aside like a rag doll by some DE (forget who) --- they played that over and over on ESPN, for what seemed like days! 
I don't see how Dimitroff & Co. missed so bad on that one... 

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

And Ozzie Newsome is regularly cited as an example of a great GM compared to TD.

Goes to show that even "great" GMs make terrible decisions at times.

Some of Ozzies worst first rounders were Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton, Michael Oher and Elam.  In 2010, Ozzie picked Sergio Kindle and Terenece Cody in the second round........ouch.

all GMs, even the best, make terrible picks sometimes. At least Konz was a consensus pick across the board from all the pundits and all the TATF armchair GMs. Everyone agreed he was a great pick, until he wasn't and the armchair GMs slammed TD while forgetting all about how much they liked the pick at the time.

Im not gonna lie i actually loved the Konz pick at the time and thought he was a great Center coming out of college which he actually was.  Im not mad at TD for making that pick or the Peria Jerry pick as Jerry was in my own personal mock draft at our pick and before the injury he looked **** good. 

The 1 pick i can't ever get over that i hated when it was made is Jamaal Anderson at 8 overall i made so many posts about that guy and how i hated him and wouldn't take him until the 5th round when i watched his tape.  Plus that draft had so many elite prospects in it available to us that i would have been happy with any of them and gave a huge list.  Not all of them panned out great namely Reggie Nelson but he was way better than Anderson for sure.

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Im not gonna lie i actually loved the Konz pick at the time and thought he was a great Center coming out of college which he actually was.  Im not mad at TD for making that pick or the Peria Jerry pick as Jerry was in my own personal mock draft at our pick and before the injury he looked **** good. 

The 1 pick i can't ever get over that i hated when it was made is Jamaal Anderson at 8 overall i made so many posts about that guy and how i hated him and wouldn't take him until the 5th round when i watched his tape.  Plus that draft had so many elite prospects in it available to us that i would have been happy with any of them and gave a huge list.  Not all of them panned out great namely Reggie Nelson but he was way better than Anderson for sure.

Anderson was the epitome of a reach. If my memory serves it was the year we let Kearney go and Rich decided to try and force his replacement on a converted TE. I felt Anderson tried but he just was so far out of his depth - just a horrible reach. And don't bring up the Patrick willis sitting there still also.

4 minutes ago, primetime said:

Anderson was the epitome of a reach. If my memory serves it was the year we let Kearney go and Rich decided to try and force his replacement on a converted TE. I felt Anderson tried but he just was so far out of his depth - just a horrible reach. And don't bring up the Patrick willis sitting there still also.

The other thing that hurt me about the Anderson pick, besides he sucked, was how Adrian Peterson was taken right before him. We were that close to having AP. And don't even get me started on the guys that were taken by other teams after the Anderson pick.

McKay should be kicked out the NFL for the job he did in drafts. From that draft, Blaylock was the only pick that turned into a good pick.

9 hours ago, gazoo said:

Some of Ozzies worst first rounders were Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton, Michael Oher and Elam.  In 2010, Ozzie picked Sergio Kindle and Terenece Cody in the second round........ouch.

all GMs, even the best, make terrible picks sometimes. At least Konz was a consensus pick across the board from all the pundits and all the TATF armchair GMs. Everyone agreed he was a great pick, until he wasn't and the armchair GMs slammed TD while forgetting all about how much they liked the pick at the time.

New England just cut 3 recent draft picks a few days ago. 

People don't really understand just how often ALL teams miss. 

But hey! ARGHHH southward! 

4 hours ago, WORilla said:

New England just cut 3 recent draft picks a few days ago. 

People don't really understand just how often ALL teams miss. 

But hey! ARGHHH southward! 

Amen, Ozzie hasn't had great success in the 3rd round overall, just look at some of these 3rd rounds picks of his: Yamon Figurs, running backs Jay Graham, Musa Smith, WR Devard Darling, and corner David Pittman. Sure, he found a pro bowl OG in 3rd round in 2007, but  he's missed on the majority of 3rd picks.

Another annoying thing with the TD critics is they completely ignore the brilliant trade from pick 30 in the 2013 draft to move up and snag what ended up being a top 5 player in the entire 2013 draft in Trufant. They bemoan the trade that got us one of the best players in the entire NFL in Julio Jones but ignore that brilliance of the Trufant trade.

Well this one happened before 2011 but drafting Sam Baker in Rd 1 and years later resigning him for huge money has got to be one of the biggest blunders of all Falcons time

Sam Baker was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the first round (21st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft after the Falcons traded two of their second-round picks (No. 34 and No. 48) and a fourth round pick (No. 103) with the Washington Redskins to move to No. 21 overall. On July 25, he signed a multi-year contract.

Edited by JG2008

13 minutes ago, JG2008 said:

Well this one happened before 2011 but drafting Sam Baker in Rd 1 and years later resigning him for huge money has got to be one of the biggest blunders of all Falcons time

Sam Baker was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the first round (21st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft after the Falcons traded two of their second-round picks (No. 34 and No. 48) and a fourth round pick (No. 103) with the Washington Redskins to move to No. 21 overall. On July 25, he signed a multi-year contract.

We needed a LT bigtime and he was actually good when healthy so I don't think it was a horrible pick at the time he drafted him. I fully agree the resigning was mystifying though.

17 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Peter Konz was one of my biggest disappointments!  At least, in recent memory. 
I'll never forget seeing him being thrown aside like a rag doll by some DE (forget who) --- they played that over and over on ESPN, for what seemed like days! 
I don't see how Dimitroff & Co. missed so bad on that one... 

I thought that was Joe Hawley in the Arizona game of 2013 but yeah he was as soft as Charmin

On April 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM, GTBF54 said:

Julio outside of Ryan was the best pick at a cost but it was well worth it....... And yes this has been posted before..........

I think you are SO right in the statement.  Falcons' fans may not recognize or be old enough to know what a "tough"  and savvy QB Matt Ryan is!  Not many QBs have ever taken the constant 'beating" that Matt has and yet keeps on getting up and going back in for the next play!  

Jesse Tuggle and Roddy White were "Mr. Atlanta Falcon" but, now it's Matt Ryan and Julio Jones!!!