Drafting a Tight End

atlbaby

The TE position has always been one of the focal point in Kyle Shanahan system. With Tamme & Toilolo being free agents after the season there is no surprise the Falcons are working out  or visiting a bunch of TE's. I see a lot of poster say wait until next year and draft one. That's a bad idea because you instantly make that a need instead of making it a choice. TD normally tend to draft possible replacement players the year before like he did when he drafted Konz for McClure and Dent for Lofton.

31 minutes ago, toadfishtom said:

if Hunter Henry is there at 50  :)

Former TE and Titans HC Mike Mularkey(author of Falcons Tony G-centric offense) have three - count'em - THREE!!! 2nd round draft picks before the Falcons pick at #50 in 2nd round.  Trust me me when I say, if another team does not take Henry before #50, he won't get thru those three Titans picks.  Mularkey is trying to rebuild the 2008 Falcons offense and import it to Nashville.

Young QB (Mariotta) - check

Bell cow RB (Demarco Murray) - check

Dynamic chain moving TE - (insert here)

I have no clue which TE we will draft honestly. If i had to guess i'd say that we are completely fine with rolling with Tamme and maybe drafting a TE with our 7th, or if we trade back and acquire a pick or getting an UDFA. I don't think that you need to sink an early-mid round pick on a TE in this offense. 

9 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I have no clue which TE we will draft honestly. If i had to guess i'd say that we are completely fine with rolling with Tamme and maybe drafting a TE with our 7th, or if we trade back and acquire a pick or getting an UDFA. I don't think that you need to sink an early-mid round pick on a TE in this offense. 

After Hunter there is a big drop-off. I agree

10 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Shanahan isn't.

I like Austin Hooper honestly, and I feel like second round could be an option for TE. I think it's going to come down to who they value more Henry in round two or a guy like Keanu Neal, it'll work out either way because whatever position we don't draft in the second already has a stop gap in it (Jacob Tamme @ TE and Kemal Ishmael at SS). This draft could go a bunch of ways, just want it to be here already though !

19 minutes ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

Ok knock on wood, if Tamme gets hurt than we are looking at Toilolo. 

If any starter gets hurt it's a bad thing. If all the WR's and running backs  are healthy it would hurt too bad if the te got hurt. Lolo would only be used to block or play decoy