Mock Draft 2.0

MSalmon

I rarely do trades in mocks but it seems appropriate for this draft considering the Broncos need a QB and we need picks. So using the Trade Value chart, I have the Broncos sending us their 2016 2nd and 4th round picks to move up to #17. Why does this trade work? For a few reasons:

1)      With the lack of quality QBs in draft, Paxton Lynch becomes a hot commodity. He’s the big armed QB who can throw on the run that can be an asset in Kubiak’s system.

2)      We really need to fill out our roster.

3)      Denver doesn’t have a ton of holes and signed Sanchez if Lynch isn’t ready

With the trade our needs are as follows:

1)      LG

2)      MLB

3)      OLB

4)      Edge (ever get enough?)

5)      DT (Depth?)

6)      TE

These positions aren’t necessarily in order of priority. SS could be higher, but Therezie has shown some ability and Allen did well at FS. Plus even with Collins suspension, we have King. Who could be a safety possibility as well.

So here are our picks:

#31 overall: Germain Ifedi, RT/G Texas A&M 6’5” 324:

He’s a dancing bear. Long arms, and NFL build, Played both inside and out at A&M. Has some issues with speed rushers outside, but inside to LG he’ll provide great run blocking and can fire off the line.

With the addition of Mack and plugging Ifedi in at LG, our OL becomes incredibly stout. Not too mention Ifedi can kick outside to RT if we don’t sign Schraeder long-term or if an injury occurs.

#50 Overall: Deion Jones, LB LSU 6’1” 225

-Speed, Speed and more speed. Perfect WLB in our system. He flies all over the field and has great coverage ability. Some say that he could be a SS and that’s possible, but I think he’s a very versatile and athletic piece for our defense

#63 Overall (from Denver): Jordan Jenkins, DE/OLB UGA 6’3” 260 lbs

-HE reminds me of Nick Perry or Dee Ford. Got long arms for his size, thick build. Great football IQ and team captain. Good burst. Can get into the backfield and disrupt or sack QB, as well as set the edge. Also good enough to drop in coverage if need be.

Early for him? I don’t think so. I think he’s a second rounder.

#81 Overall: Austin Johnson NT, Penn State 6’4” 320 lbs

-Thick bodied. With strong lower body. Doesn’t carry much bad weight at all. Great NT and upgrade from Soliali in our scheme. Has pass rush value as well. High motor player. I like how he gets his sacks—pure effort. He’s a definite run-stuffer and will demand double teams. Having Hageman, babs or Grady beside him will yield benefits immediately

#115 Overall: Javon Hargrave, DT SC State 6’1”309 lbs.

-Great quickness for a big man. Could be a great rotation guy, and Jarrett and Him provide active interior pass rush.  

#136 Overall: Blake Martinez, MLB Stanford 6'2" 245

-- just a smart and instinctual linebacker. Has a nose for the ball and fits well into our scheme. Thick bodied enforcer type, who is surprisingly adept in coverage. Could bump Worrilow.

#238 Overall: Tyrone Holmes OLB/DE Montana 6’2” 253 lbs

-Athletic undersized pass rusher. He’s a scheme fit kind of guy. Be an interesting flier with our last pick.

di, OT

I think it's solid.  I'm hoping to take a good RT, or other fairly natural pass protector, and move them inside.  Our weakness was pass pro on the inside.

Also like that you upgraded the inside and out of the line. 

Likely a good idea to take a S, MLB, or TE instead of double dipping at DT, but I actually like the double dip...it just leaves us short staffed in the back 7.

1 hour ago, atlGM said:

Still trying to outscore people I see. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Like the Jenkins pick tho 

He picked 1 Of. player and 6 Def. players????

Not a big fan of a Guard in the first, but at least there was no TE or WR.

Edited by citsalp

I think you and Romfal are the only two mock drafts I've seen with two DTs projected. If we are moving on from Babs and Tjax soon this makes a ton of sense to me. Austin could replace Soliai's snaps day one. Javon will need some refining but his high ceiling is undeniable. If Hags doesn't step up big this year he will be cut too. Might as well add some guys right now in a deep DT draft. We need some help in the middle both for today and tomorrow! Babs ain't getting any younger.  My favorite pick you took is Blake Martinez. If we get him where you have him slotted I think it's going to eventually be proven a steal. The way you waited to get your linebackers and didn't reach is a value approach that I'm always fond of. You still ended up with Jenkins, Jones and Martinez. Then the cherry on the top was Tyrone Holmes! Of course, a dancing bear on the offensive line also went over well with me. Give me a guy who can play anywhere on the line and make an impact. Well done Sir! :vince:

Looks good, but have my doubts about Johnson and Hargrave falling to 3, 4. Both could be round 2 guys,but never know w the draft.

Ifedi is a great grab who is unknown around here. Great RT backup plan if Schreader goes next offseason too. As you mention, could be very good inside in the nfl.

I like parts but other parts I don't. First, I love the trade. Great job getting 3 for 1 which could be huge in this draft. Second, I like the idea of investing more in the OL, but I really hate spending a first or second round pick on a zone blocking scheme guard when there should be several equally (or higher rated) defensive players at positions of need on the board. There should be no reason we can't get a good OL for our scheme in the 3rd or 4th round. Lastly, like the focus on DT but I'd prefer At least one of S or TE as opposed to a double dip at DT. 

12 hours ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

I think you and Romfal are the only two mock drafts I've seen with two DTs projected. If we are moving on from Babs and Tjax soon this makes a ton of sense to me. Austin could replace Soliai's snaps day one. Javon will need some refining but his high ceiling is undeniable. If Hags doesn't step up big this year he will be cut too. Might as well add some guys right now in a deep DT draft. We need some help in the middle both for today and tomorrow! Babs ain't getting any younger.  My favorite pick you took is Blake Martinez. If we get him where you have him slotted I think it's going to eventually be proven a steal. The way you waited to get your linebackers and didn't reach is a value approach that I'm always fond of. You still ended up with Jenkins, Jones and Martinez. Then the cherry on the top was Tyrone Holmes! Of course, a dancing bear on the offensive line also went over well with me. Give me a guy who can play anywhere on the line and make an impact. Well done Sir! :vince:

Thank you, sir. You're spot on why I double-dipped. For one, Soliali is a casualty, Mbu is an unknown. And, as you pointed out TJax and problably Babs are gone next year. TJax could be gone this year. Great input.

I love Martinez:)

8 hours ago, FAN_O_THE_ATL said:

I like parts but other parts I don't. First, I love the trade. Great job getting 3 for 1 which could be huge in this draft. Second, I like the idea of investing more in the OL, but I really hate spending a first or second round pick on a zone blocking scheme guard when there should be several equally (or higher rated) defensive players at positions of need on the board. There should be no reason we can't get a good OL for our scheme in the 3rd or 4th round. Lastly, like the focus on DT but I'd prefer At least one of S or TE as opposed to a double dip at DT. 

Fair enough, but a Guard at 32 isn't bad value, and he could be a very good RT as well. The idea of waiting until the 3rd or 4th for OL is kinda what got us into the mess we are a few years ago. Remember Johnson and Hawley and others? How about Holmes in the third? I'm obviously not 100 percent positive of this, but I see a trend of Dimotroff/Pioli investing heavily on both sides of the line. That's evidenced by the Jake Matthews pick, Levitre trade and of course the signing of Mack. Seems Schraeder is on a "play and prove it" deal.

YOU do realize that I mocked a SS, right? TE is weak in this class.

But nice comments!

11 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Looks good, but have my doubts about Johnson and Hargrave falling to 3, 4. Both could be round 2 guys,but never know w the draft.

Ifedi is a great grab who is unknown around here. Great RT backup plan if Schreader goes next offseason too. As you mention, could be very good inside in the nfl.

Yeah, where DTs go in rounds is always are to project. Thanks!

13 hours ago, citsalp said:

He picked 1 Of. player and 6 Def. players????

Not a big fan of a Guard in the first, but at least there was no TE or WR.

LOL glad you pointed that out...I don't know that I view Ifedi as just a G. He could end up being RT is Schraeder is not re-signed. But then again a potential All-Pro G aint bad late in the first LOL

17 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I rarely do trades in mocks but it seems appropriate for this draft considering the Broncos need a QB and we need picks. So using the Trade Value chart, I have the Broncos sending us their 2016 2nd and 4th round picks to move up to #17. Why does this trade work? For a few reasons:

1)      With the lack of quality QBs in draft, Paxton Lynch becomes a hot commodity. He’s the big armed QB who can throw on the run that can be an asset in Kubiak’s system.

2)      We really need to fill out our roster.

3)      Denver doesn’t have a ton of holes and signed Sanchez if Lynch isn’t ready

With the trade our needs are as follows:

1)      LG

2)      MLB

3)      OLB

4)      Edge (ever get enough?)

5)      DT (Depth?)

6)      TE

These positions aren’t necessarily in order of priority. SS could be higher, but Therezie has shown some ability and Allen did well at FS. Plus even with Collins suspension, we have King. Who could be a safety possibility as well.

So here are our picks:

#31 overall: Germain Ifedi, RT/G Texas A&M 6’5” 324:

He’s a dancing bear. Long arms, and NFL build, Played both inside and out at A&M. Has some issues with speed rushers outside, but inside to LG he’ll provide great run blocking and can fire off the line.

With the addition of Mack and plugging Ifedi in at LG, our OL becomes incredibly stout. Not too mention Ifedi can kick outside to RT if we don’t sign Schraeder long-term or if an injury occurs.

#50 Overall: Deion Jones, LB LSU 6’1” 225

-Speed, Speed and more speed. Perfect WLB in our system. He flies all over the field and has great coverage ability. Some say that he could be a SS and that’s possible, but I think he’s a very versatile and athletic piece for our defense

#63 Overall (from Denver): Jordan Jenkins, DE/OLB UGA 6’3” 260 lbs

-HE reminds me of Nick Perry or Dee Ford. Got long arms for his size, thick build. Great football IQ and team captain. Good burst. Can get into the backfield and disrupt or sack QB, as well as set the edge. Also good enough to drop in coverage if need be.

Early for him? I don’t think so. I think he’s a second rounder.

#81 Overall: Austin Johnson NT, Penn State 6’4” 320 lbs

-Thick bodied. With strong lower body. Doesn’t carry much bad weight at all. Great NT and upgrade from Soliali in our scheme. Has pass rush value as well. High motor player. I like how he gets his sacks—pure effort. He’s a definite run-stuffer and will demand double teams. Having Hageman, babs or Grady beside him will yield benefits immediately

#115 Overall: Javon Hargrave, DT SC State 6’1”309 lbs.

-Great quickness for a big man. Could be a great rotation guy, and Jarrett and Him provide active interior pass rush.  

#136 Overall: Blake Martinez, MLB Stanford 6'2" 245

-- just a smart and instinctual linebacker. Has a nose for the ball and fits well into our scheme. Thick bodied enforcer type, who is surprisingly adept in coverage. Could bump Worrilow.

#238 Overall: Tyrone Holmes OLB/DE Montana 6’2” 253 lbs

-Athletic undersized pass rusher. He’s a scheme fit kind of guy. Be an interesting flier with our last pick.

di, OT

Good job, what makes Holmes undersized? Wasn't JA55 260 lbs most of the time?

3 minutes ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

Good job, what makes Holmes undersized? Wasn't JA55 260 lbs most of the time?

typical height. As you well know anyone under the 6'4" to 6'6" height tends to get that label. And he's not overly long. More a 34 OLB build. Which in our scheme is fine. I'm wondering if Tyler Starr has any value with his length going into this next year. It's interesting how our edge/DE rotation is built right now. I think only Beasly is under contract long-term.

6 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Fair enough, but a Guard at 32 isn't bad value, and he could be a very good RT as well. The idea of waiting until the 3rd or 4th for OL is kinda what got us into the mess we are a few years ago. Remember Johnson and Hawley and others? How about Holmes in the third? I'm obviously not 100 percent positive of this, but I see a trend of Dimotroff/Pioli investing heavily on both sides of the line. That's evidenced by the Jake Matthews pick, Levitre trade and of course the signing of Mack. Seems Schraeder is on a "play and prove it" deal.

YOU do realize that I mocked a SS, right? TE is weak in this class.

But nice comments!

Agree that we are focused on investing on both sides of the line (add Shelby & Upshaw to your list on the defensive side of the ball), I just don't see OL as our first pick here. 

Who is the SS?..Dion Jones??

6 hours ago, FAN_O_THE_ATL said:

Agree that we are focused on investing on both sides of the line (add Shelby & Upshaw to your list on the defensive side of the ball), I just don't see OL as our first pick here. 

Who is the SS?..Dion Jones??

my bad that was my other mock