Jump to content

Venezuela, the 5 day weekend.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Forever Julian said:

This is very true. Socialism hasn't shown itself to be effective though. Seeing people struggle with toilet paper is always the sign of a failed state.

 

Yes, I would agree.  Throwing all the other silly stuff aside like a two day work week to conserve electricity and such, they have no beer.  That is some serious BS right there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, lostone said:

Why are you guys trying to be so simple...

when you have an economy that only lives off one source and isn't diversified wtf do you expect?  It's th exact same things that are happening to textile towns and coal towns.  If you have no economic diversification you are screwed regardless of government form.  Diversification works for more than just mutual funds...

Other countries have run an economy on just oil and then diversified when they became wealthy enough to do so.  The difference was they ran their governments off a form of capitalism instead of socialism.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

U.S. Sees Growing Risk of Coup in Venezuela

President Maduro could face a ‘palace coup’ or ouster by the military, intelligence officials say

WASHINGTON—Venezuela is descending into a deepening crisis that could end in violence, including the possibility of a coup against that country’s embattled leftist government, senior U.S. intelligence officials said Friday.

There is a “potential for real violence,” one of two officials said in a briefing with a small group of reporters. “It’s hard for me to see how this ends easily.”

The officials, who have extensive experience in the region, said that they and others in the intelligence community increasingly believe that President Nicolás Maduro could be removed from office, either in a “palace coup” led by associates close to him or in a military uprising. They said that the possibility of an overthrow or street violence is of concern to American officials, who want to avoid anarchy in an oil-rich country just a three-hour flight from Miami.

“The goal is to mitigate the crisis that they’re experiencing,” said the official. “It’s in the United States’ interest that Venezuela not bottom out.”

He said, however, that Washington’s options are limited because of Mr. Maduro’s antipathy toward the U.S., which he frequently blames for orchestrating “an economic war” designed to destabilize his government.

Venezuela President Nicolás MaduroENLARGE
Venezuela President Nicolás Maduro PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS

“The more the United States intervenes,” he said, “the more we’re the problem.”

Venezuela’s information ministry and Mr. Maduro’s office didn’t respond to requests seeking comment. But the president on Friday said that he was declaring what he called a state of exception and economic emergency to deal with both the economic crisis and threats against his rule.

Mr. Maduro didn’t detail what the decree’s reach would be, but he said the decree gives him the power to repair the economy and “neutralize and defeat the external foreign aggression that has been initiated against our country.” He didn't provide evidence of threats Venezuela faces nor did he elaborate on the measures he might take with his new powers.

To the opposition and constitutional experts in Venezuela, though, the decree sounded like it would lead to a crackdown on dissent. “That decree can restrict the right to hold demonstrations to protest scarcities or the lack of light,” said José Vicente Haro, a constitutional lawyer in Caracas.

U.S. officials have been closely following the growing degradation in Venezuela, characterized by acute shortages of basic foods and medicines, which doctors say has caused deaths that could have been easily prevented. Rolling blackouts and electricity rationing keep much of the country in the dark for hours on end.  With foreign reserves running low, imports have fallen hard.

Venezuelan government officials are concerned the discontent could lead unnamed people to move against Mr. Maduro, who has ruled for three years, the intelligence officials said.

“We’re seeing the government concerned” about an overthrow, the second intelligence official said. “They’re paranoid about the question of a coup.”

Mr. Maduro also faces the possibility of a recall referendum, which the opposition has pledged to stage, as permitted in the constitution.

The intelligence officials, though, say the president is trying to delay the validation of signatures to trigger a referendum until next year. A recall then would only remove Mr. Maduro, with the rest of his term to be finished by his vice president. If the vote takes place this year, not only would Mr. Maduro be out of a job, but new elections would be called, a far better scenario for the opposition.

On the economic front, Mr. Maduro’s administration has about $6.7 billion in foreign-currency bond payments it has to make this year, which the country can make only by slashing consumption to the lowest levels in modern history, according to Bank of America Corp.

And imports already fell by 40% in 2015 compared with the year before.  With the price of a Venezuelan barrel of oil down by 69% since 2014, oil revenue, which account for 96% of Venezuela’s foreign exchange, dropped 55% last year.

“This is driving a lot of the economic distress,” said the second official.

This year, the two officials said, daily oil production, which stands at 2.3 million barrels, could fall to below two million.They noted that two biggest oil-service companies— Halliburton Co. andSchlumberger Ltd., owed hundreds of millions of dollars by the Venezuelan government—recently announced they are scaling back operations. And the state oil company, Petróleos de Venezuela SA, or PdVSA, was dependent on those companies.

“The total lack of any investment by PdVSA has continued to eat into production,” said the second intelligence official.

—Mayela Armas contributed to this article from Caracas

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has socialism actually ever worked? Not "I call it socialism, but it is actually just large welfare state merged with capitalism", but actual socialism( a way of organizing a society in which major industries are owned and controlled by the government rather than by individual people and companies)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Has socialism actually ever worked? Not "I call it socialism, but it is actually just large welfare state merged with capitalism", but actual socialism( a way of organizing a society in which major industries are owned and controlled by the government rather than by individual people and companies)?

Something something not true socialism. Something something capitalists and fascists ruining everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Has socialism actually ever worked? Not "I call it socialism, but it is actually just large welfare state merged with capitalism", but actual socialism( a way of organizing a society in which major industries are owned and controlled by the government rather than by individual people and companies)?

Has any pure form of government structure ever worked? Or are the ones that "worked" (this needs defining btw) are a mixture of ideologies?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2016 at 9:54 AM, capologist said:

Because they want to point out countries like Sweden, etc instead of going around and talking to people who actually were born and raised in places like Venezuela and Cuba...

How about trying to emulate those countries? They're only superior to us in virtually every way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Free Radical said:

How about trying to emulate those countries? They're only superior to us in virtually every way.

other than the fact that the Swedish are leaving Sweden in record numbers and reported rape has tripled in the last 7 years (they also have the highest conviction rate for rape in Europe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2016 at 9:54 AM, capologist said:

Because they want to point out countries like Sweden, etc instead of going around and talking to people who actually were born and raised in places like Venezuela and Cuba...

That's just one of the reasons we are better than most, we will freely allow our citizens to move over there if they choose.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

other than the fact that the Swedish are leaving Sweden in record numbers and reported rape has tripled in the last 7 years (they also have the highest conviction rate for rape in Europe)

Probably because the definition of rape in Sweden is much broader than in other countries, they report every separate crime as a unique instance of rape, and they have a much healthier view of gender equality than most anywhere else in the world:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Of course, what this has to do with their political/economic system is beyond me. Are you saying that the Nordic model of social-democracy somehow causes its constituents to be prone to committing acts of mass rape? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

That's just one of the reasons we are better than most, we will freely allow our citizens to move over there if they choose.  

I'm still waiting for an example of someone on this board saying we should emulate Venezuela, instead of maybe Norway or Japan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joremarid said:

Has any pure form of government structure ever worked? Or are the ones that "worked" (this needs defining btw) are a mixture of ideologies?

Are there any examples of these mixed ones with a socialist economy as the main economic foundation? We know countries that have capitalism as its foundation that are currently functioning.  I am really just looking for an example of a country with "a way of organizing a society in which major industries are owned and controlled by the government rather than by individual people and companies".

How would you like to defined worked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

The amount of discussion devoted to socialism on this board is astounding. 

Once you take away the bogeyman for the far-right loons on this board, they quickly run out of gas. Dead civilians, dead children, dead soldiers, and a constant mindset of siege on their ideals is what drives the far-right. This is why the far-right loves terrorist attacks, school shootings, and pedophiles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On May 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Dago 3.0 said:

fair to middling 

was in a pretty nasty car wreck just over a month ago and having issues with two herniated discs

other than that peachy keen :lol:

 

Sounds painful! 

 

I know you might not want to hear this, but I've seen Yoga work wonders with back issues

Preferably doing yoga behind a woman like her

downyard-dog-yoga-pose.gif?ffc0e9

36 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

The amount of discussion devoted to socialism on this board is astounding. 

My apologies:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Free Radical said:

Probably because the definition of rape in Sweden is much broader than in other countries, they report every separate crime as a unique instance of rape, and they have a much healthier view of gender equality than most anywhere else in the world:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Of course, what this has to do with their political/economic system is beyond me. Are you saying that the Nordic model of social-democracy somehow causes its constituents to be prone to committing acts of mass rape? 

1) I am well aware of the differences in methodology of rape reporting between Sweden and other countries. It's also completely irrelevant to what I said. My statement was that Sweden has had a threefold increase in rape which is within the context of their own reporting methodology

2) since when is crime not a political and social issue?

3) I notice you had no comment on the reports that Swedish people are leaving this paradise in record numbers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Forever Julian said:

 

Sounds painful! 

 

I know you might not want to hear this, but I've seen Yoga work wonders with back issues

Preferably doing yoga behind a woman like her

downyard-dog-yoga-pose.gif?ffc0e9

My apologies:lol:

if I was behind her I wouldn't be getting much yoga accomplished

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

1) I am well aware of the differences in methodology of rape reporting between Sweden and other countries. It's also completely irrelevant to what I said. My statement was that Sweden has had a threefold increase in rape which is within the context of their own reporting methodology

2) since when is crime not a political and social issue?

3) I notice you had no comment on the reports that Swedish people are leaving this paradise in record numbers

 

1. Apparently not. They again expanded their definition of rape even more in 2013. I'd like to know the sources you're using for your statements.

2. I say we should look at the Nordic model as something to emulate economically, and you point out that one of the Nordic countries, has a high reporting of one particular type of crime, as if that refutes the fact that they are superior to the United States in virtually every statistic that matters; economic freedom, healthcare, corruption, education, etc.

3. Those numbers include foreign born people returning to their home countries, the proportion of Swedes leaving the country compared to the population is not at a record high, and you don't really provide any context for the statement, such as why, therefore I ignored it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Free Radical said:

 

1. Apparently not. They again expanded their definition of rape even more in 2013. I'd like to know the sources you're using for your statements.

2. I say we should look at the Nordic model as something to emulate economically, and you point out that one of the Nordic countries, has a high reporting of one particular type of crime, as if that refutes the fact that they are superior to the United States in virtually every statistic that matters; economic freedom, healthcare, corruption, education, etc.

3. Those numbers include foreign born people returning to their home countries, the proportion of Swedes leaving the country compared to the population is not at a record high, and you don't really provide any context for the statement, such as why, therefore I ignored it.

 

1) my source was CNN

2) that is a matter of opinion and ignores any sort of variables or context....something you chided me for in your third point

3) since you say that they are superior to us in virtually every way, I would say the onus should be on you to explain why. it goes against human nature to leave paradise so there must be a reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

1) my source was CNN

2) that is a matter of opinion and ignores any sort of variables or context....something you chided me for in your third point

3) since you say that they are superior to us in virtually every way, I would say the onus should be on you to explain why. it goes against human nature to leave paradise so there must be a reason

Fine, here's what I'm talking about then. Nordic countries out rank us in:

Education: Math, reading, science per the 2015 PISA scores
Health: Life expectancy per WHO, cost efficiency per WHO, quality of life per EUI
Economy: Economic freedom per the Fraser Institute, socioeconomic mobility per the OECD

And that's just skimming the surface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Free Radical said:

Fine, here's what I'm talking about then. Nordic countries out rank us in:

Education: Math, reading, science per the 2015 PISA scores
Health: Life expectancy per WHO, cost efficiency per WHO, quality of life per EUI
Economy: Economic freedom per the Fraser Institute, socioeconomic mobility per the OECD

And that's just skimming the surface.

and you think this is the result of their political and economic system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...