The King Has Mocked [3] -

King Jigsaw

"With the 16th Pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.. The Detroit Lions select.. Jarran Reed, Defensive Line, Alabama."

The words from Roger Goodell brought a huge smile to Mike Brown, who immediately calls Thomas Dimitroff and offers to send pick him picks 24, 87, and 122 in exchange for pick 17. Dimitroff accepts the trade down opportunity for the first time with pressure coming from Pioli and Quinn, seeing the additional picks in this draft as being far too valuable to his job security.

"With the 17th Pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.. The Cincinnati Bengals select.. Laquon Treadwell, Wide Receiver, Ole Miss."

With the Lions passing on Treadwell, the window for Detroit to leap over the other receiver-needy teams opens up and once again stock the cupboard for Matthew Stafford who has proven to need a dominant possession receiver to be successful.

Now on to the Falcons draft.

Round 1, Pick 24 (From CIN) - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

Height: 6'2" Weight: 240 lbs.

I list Jaylon as a linebacker rather than labeling him middle/inside/outside because he's honestly capable of playing any linebacker position in the NFL. He could be an outside rusher in a 3-4, he could play inside, he could be Mike, Will, or Sam.. anything. Such a rare skillset that any team would be able to take advantage of, and if his medicals are really coming back as well as reports are leading fans to believe then that team needs to be the Falcons. With Worrilow tendered for Smith's likely redshirt year, we won't get the upgrade we need in the middle of our linebacking group until 2017, but such an upgrade it will be!

Round 2, Pick 50 - Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford

Height: 6'4"  Weight: 254 lbs.

The Falcons say that they are content with guys like Jacob Tamme and Levine Toilolo, but Falcons fans and Matt Ryan alike have been clamoring for a real target at TE for years now. Austin Hooper has experience as both a receiving threat and a blocking asset in a pro-style offense from his time at Stanford, which has put out several quality tight ends lately. Hooper has the perfect blend of blocking ability and receiving prowess to make an early impact in Shanahan's offense, and Matt will covet having that intermediate target. I'd like to note that Hunter Henry would be my first choice here, but I don't think he lasts all the way to 50 so Hooper is the selection.

Different year, same Patriots. The Falcons can simply not let the Panthers collect any more bluechip defensive players, and there happens to be one still sitting on the board. Dimitroff calls up his old buddy Bill up in Boston and offers picks 81, 87, 115, and 2017's 6th Round Pick in exchange for New England's 61st and 96th picks. Bill happily agrees, coveting the quantity even though the value is equal.

Round 2, Pick 61 (From NE) - Su'a Cravens, LB/SS, USC

Height: 6'1" Weight: 226 lbs.

For anyone that's payed attention to my posts this offseason, they should not be surprised at all by this pick. Cravens has been my biggest draft  crush all along and he's a target of mine in this mock. It's been reported that Carolina has major interest in Cravens and if he ends up in Carolina I will go on an absolute rampage. Some might say it's crazy to think that Cravens will be around this late, but it seems that his 'tweener' status has hurt his stock in the eyes of a lot of teams. If he is still around by the time New England goes on the clock, the Falcons desperately have to make a move not to let Cravens become a Panther. The Falcons not only have to draft for their own needs, but also against their division opponents if they hope to reclaim the crown that Carolina has had such a firm grasp on. Cravens will play Strong Safety for us, his blend of abilities in coverage, tackling,  and rushing will come in handy and he will quickly become Quinn's favorite toy in 2016.

Round 3, Pick 96 (From NE) - Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State

Height: 6'3" Weight: 293 lbs.

From NFL.com, "Raw, but athletic one­-gap penetrator who dominated his level of competition with effort and quickness. Credited with 16 sacks and 23.5 tackles for losses, Hargrave has the ability to play on the other side of the ball, but the jump in talent and size could be challenging for him. Hargrave is better than a project," but he will require patience and much more coaching to realize his potential." Potential and upside are two things that Hargrave has handfuls of, and it would great to see if he and Grady Jarrett can develop into two scary draft steals under Dan Quinn who still needs to prove that he can develop players better than the previous regime.

Round 4, Pick 122 (From CIN) - Isaac Seumalo, G/C, Oregon State

Height: 6'4" Weight: 303 lbs.

OurLads.com currently has James Stone penciled in as the Falcons starter at Right Guard. Surely I can't be the only one that has a major problem with this. While many would say we'll just slide Person back there or resign Chester, neither of those moves have been officially made so I'm coming away with a new starter in the draft and leaving nothing to chance regarding the investments we've made on offense. Seumalo is versatile, quick, has excellent technique which makes him perfect as a schematic fit for our offense. While he's already a very smart and savvy blocker, he'll become even more of an asset when he adds NFL strength to his athleticism. 

Round 7, Pick 238 - Ross Martin, K, Duke

Height: 5'10" Weight: 187 lbs.

There are plenty of players that come to teams as UDFAs that work their tails off during camps to make a team. Kickers can sometimes appear as a dime/dozen type position but they are becoming more and more important with the recent rule changes. Our 7th rounder is often our forgotten pick, but using it for some young competition for Graham and Bryant can be a very smart move as Martin has hit up to 60 yarders and could be an immediate replacement to keep our scoring chances alive instead of watching Bryant's body whither before our eyes.

Looking forward to seeing how much G-Dawg hates this one. We all know how much he hates mock competition. ;) 

As for the rest of y'all, questions, comments, and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for reading, fam.

What is this crap about a  TE? Our starting TE from last year was 11th in the league in receptions from all TEs, when you have julio and freeman....guys we have bigger fish to fry. You think that rookie will come in and be top 10?  Come on man. Sexy picks arent what we need, we need meat and potatoes picks....nuts and bolts picks.....picks that work

23 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

What is this crap about a  TE? Our starting TE from last year was 11th in the league in receptions from all TEs, when you have julio and freeman....guys we have bigger fish to fry. You think that rookie will come in and be top 10?  Come on man. Sexy picks arent what we need, we need meat and potatoes picks....nuts and bolts picks.....picks that work

You have a problem with us taking a TE? A guard, a defensive tackle, a middle linebacker, and strong safety don't count for 'meat and potatoes' for you? I'm curious what you would have done instead. Tamme is not young, Toilolo is not good. It makes sense to add a good young TE, but please share why you think we should go in a different direction?

I would be pissed if this happened sorry man, sua cravens is not worth 3 extra picks...jaylon is exceptional but a gamble, not worth that pick unless you're using all those picks for player(s) not a player....don't think we need a TE at 2...we don't net a single player because you gave up a 2017 pick...trade down obsolete IMO, no offense, I like the players just not the method for me.

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz

10 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

The draft isn't like FA where you are expecting all of your picks to fill immediate needs. You hope the round 1 guy is immediate impact, but the rest are most likely going to have a steeper learning curve. You want draft picks ready to take on larger roles yr 2 and beyond. You dont want to be in a position where you are trying to find this year's starter in mid to late rounds, unless you are drafting a kicker. That's why drafting TE and DT in this year's draft makes complete sense, because next year those positions are likely going to be in transition and we'll need to replace starter production. 

We'll see what comes out of the re-check on Smith, but the post combine chatter didn't sound encouraging. He's off my board until maybe round 4 if he has nerve damage. There will be some really good players at 17, so I believe it would be an unnecessary risk.

I wouldn't take a TE this year, but I can't say it isn't a need. I just think we have more urgent problems and I'm not sure of Hooper's value at 50.

I'd be excited to get Cravens and Seumalo, and I wouldn't be opposed to a kicker in the 7th if that's what's needed to get one of the top prospects at the position.

I like the creativity. Great job on the trade down.  This could be a really good draft. It all hinges on Jaylon Smith returning to form. I like all the other picks. If he doesn't return to form though then it would be viewed as a big TD fail. Smith is already likely going to miss the entire first year so that's a big pill to swallow.  If Ragland were also sitting there at 24 would you take Ragland or Smith?

I would add that if I were taking a flyer on a risky Smith then I'd probably maximize my other accumulated picks instead of packaging in a trade up for Cravens. However, if I went the safer Ragland (or Lee) route then I'd feel more freedom to make the Cravens trade. 

46 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

You have a problem with us taking a TE? A guard, a defensive tackle, a middle linebacker, and strong safety don't count for 'meat and potatoes' for you? I'm curious what you would have done instead. Tamme is not young, Toilolo is not good. It makes sense to add a good young TE, but please share why you think we should go in a different direction?

We dont NEED a TE, it would be nice...but that position didnt lose any games for us....in order for a TE to be an upgrade, he needs to be a top10 TE. The one we had was #11 in receptions.  By meat and potatoes, i mean positions that are what we need to fix immediate issues...not trying to find people for the future. Championship teams can do that....you never get to that level drafting guys that compliment the guys tou have...we need guys to replace the guys we have.

WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR LUXURY FUTURE PICKS!

We need the top 3 picks to start....we were 8-8....middle of the road

2 hours ago, trubirdfan4life said:

You can say what you may, but our team is working out TEs so regardless they obviously are interested. Unless you plan on going to the branch and killing somebody. Lol! Our team goes and works out multiple TEs and somehow you think we aren't interested, unbelievable man just unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, HaRdH3ad said:

You can say what you may, but our team is working out TEs so regardless they obviously are interested. Unless you plan on going to the branch and killing somebody. Lol! Our team goes and works out multiple TEs and somehow you think we aren't interested, unbelievable man just unbelievable. 

We worked out qbs too, i do believe we worked out all positions on the field....rbs...wrs...the only position that i dont think we worked out was punter

2 hours ago, FAN_O_THE_ATL said:

The draft isn't like FA where you are expecting all of your picks to fill immediate needs. You hope the round 1 guy is immediate impact, but the rest are most likely going to have a steeper learning curve. You want draft picks ready to take on larger roles yr 2 and beyond. You dont want to be in a position where you are trying to find this year's starter in mid to late rounds, unless you are drafting a kicker. That's why drafting TE and DT in this year's draft makes complete sense, because next year those positions are likely going to be in transition and we'll need to replace starter production. 

Yeah....if you are perennial playoff teams...teams like us need everything we can get....we start undrafted guys and castoffs....yeah....the 1st 3 rounds very well could come in and start on defense....in case you folks missed it, we need talent on defense.

3 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

"With the 16th Pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.. The Detroit Lions select.. Jarran Reed, Defensive Line, Alabama."

The words from Roger Goodell brought a huge smile to Mike Brown, who immediately calls Thomas Dimitroff ....

Mike Brown wouldn't make that call - he no longer has an active role in team affairs.  It would be Katie Blackburn, or possibly Marvin Lewis.

Just so you know.

So Jigsaw, you wanna play a game with TATF? Here are the rules you state TD is feeling pressure and excepts the trade down to get more picks to hit on then you draft a player who may not play this year. You have 5 mins to correct this irony or watch your post sink into the dark cold depths of the message board. What will you choose?

seriously tho if anyone gets your sarcasm on this board it's me. This post doesn't seem sarcastic and that's worrisome. 

The dialogue was sweet though

Love the option of trading down but taking Jalyon smith first I cant see it,  In that mock draft there are no starting lbs unless your moving craven there and I dont see him last until the 3rd round.  I would take Jalyon with one of second pics if one of the first was Lee or Floyd to fit the lb starter roll. 

16 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

The words from Roger Goodell brought a huge smile to Mike Brown, who immediately calls Thomas Dimitroff and offers to send pick him picks 24, 87, and 122 in exchange for pick 17. Dimitroff accepts the trade down opportunity for the first time with pressure coming from Pioli and Quinn, seeing the additional picks in this draft as being far too valuable to his job security.

"With the 17th Pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.. The Cincinnati Bengals select.. Laquon Treadwell, Wide Receiver, Ole Miss."

With the Lions passing on Treadwell, the window for Detroit to leap over the other receiver-needy teams opens up and once again stock the cupboard for Matthew Stafford who has proven to need a dominant possession receiver to be successful.

Now on to the Falcons draft.

Round 1, Pick 24 (From CIN) - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

Height: 6'2" Weight: 240 lbs.

I list Jaylon as a linebacker rather than labeling him middle/inside/outside because he's honestly capable of playing any linebacker position in the NFL. He could be an outside rusher in a 3-4, he could play inside, he could be Mike, Will, or Sam.. anything. Such a rare skillset that any team would be able to take advantage of, and if his medicals are really coming back as well as reports are leading fans to believe then that team needs to be the Falcons. With Worrilow tendered for Smith's likely redshirt year, we won't get the upgrade we need in the middle of our linebacking group until 2017, but such an upgrade it will be!

Round 2, Pick 50 - Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford

Height: 6'4"  Weight: 254 lbs.

The Falcons say that they are content with guys like Jacob Tamme and Levine Toilolo, but Falcons fans and Matt Ryan alike have been clamoring for a real target at TE for years now. Austin Hooper has experience as both a receiving threat and a blocking asset in a pro-style offense from his time at Stanford, which has put out several quality tight ends lately. Hooper has the perfect blend of blocking ability and receiving prowess to make an early impact in Shanahan's offense, and Matt will covet having that intermediate target. I'd like to note that Hunter Henry would be my first choice here, but I don't think he lasts all the way to 50 so Hooper is the selection.

Different year, same Patriots. The Falcons can simply not let the Panthers collect any more bluechip defensive players, and there happens to be one still sitting on the board. Dimitroff calls up his old buddy Bill up in Boston and offers picks 81, 87, 115, and 2017's 6th Round Pick in exchange for New England's 61st and 96th picks. Bill happily agrees, coveting the quantity even though the value is equal.

Round 2, Pick 61 (From NE) - Su'a Cravens, LB/SS, USC

Height: 6'1" Weight: 226 lbs.

For anyone that's payed attention to my posts this offseason, they should not be surprised at all by this pick. Cravens has been my biggest draft  crush all along and he's a target of mine in this mock. It's been reported that Carolina has major interest in Cravens and if he ends up in Carolina I will go on an absolute rampage. Some might say it's crazy to think that Cravens will be around this late, but it seems that his 'tweener' status has hurt his stock in the eyes of a lot of teams. If he is still around by the time New England goes on the clock, the Falcons desperately have to make a move not to let Cravens become a Panther. The Falcons not only have to draft for their own needs, but also against their division opponents if they hope to reclaim the crown that Carolina has had such a firm grasp on. Cravens will play Strong Safety for us, his blend of abilities in coverage, tackling,  and rushing will come in handy and he will quickly become Quinn's favorite toy in 2016.

Round 3, Pick 96 (From NE) - Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State

Height: 6'3" Weight: 293 lbs.

From NFL.com, "Raw, but athletic one­-gap penetrator who dominated his level of competition with effort and quickness. Credited with 16 sacks and 23.5 tackles for losses, Hargrave has the ability to play on the other side of the ball, but the jump in talent and size could be challenging for him. Hargrave is better than a project," but he will require patience and much more coaching to realize his potential." Potential and upside are two things that Hargrave has handfuls of, and it would great to see if he and Grady Jarrett can develop into two scary draft steals under Dan Quinn who still needs to prove that he can develop players better than the previous regime.

Round 4, Pick 122 (From CIN) - Isaac Seumalo, G/C, Oregon State

Height: 6'4" Weight: 303 lbs.

OurLads.com currently has James Stone penciled in as the Falcons starter at Right Guard. Surely I can't be the only one that has a major problem with this. While many would say we'll just slide Person back there or resign Chester, neither of those moves have been officially made so I'm coming away with a new starter in the draft and leaving nothing to chance regarding the investments we've made on offense. Seumalo is versatile, quick, has excellent technique which makes him perfect as a schematic fit for our offense. While he's already a very smart and savvy blocker, he'll become even more of an asset when he adds NFL strength to his athleticism. 

Round 7, Pick 238 - Ross Martin, K, Duke

Height: 5'10" Weight: 187 lbs.

There are plenty of players that come to teams as UDFAs that work their tails off during camps to make a team. Kickers can sometimes appear as a dime/dozen type position but they are becoming more and more important with the recent rule changes. Our 7th rounder is often our forgotten pick, but using it for some young competition for Graham and Bryant can be a very smart move as Martin has hit up to 60 yarders and could be an immediate replacement to keep our scoring chances alive instead of watching Bryant's body whither before our eyes.

Looking forward to seeing how much G-Dawg hates this one. We all know how much he hates mock competition. ;) 

As for the rest of y'all, questions, comments, and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for reading, fam.

Thanks for sharing you're Mock queen. You're avatar will always have a special place in my heart.

Overall, I don't think I'd be upset or happy. I love Jaylon Smith but I'm cautious about the nerve damage. As for Hooper, he is a decent TE prospect but nothing that really gets me going. I'm really just not a fan of this TE class at all. However, I like the rest of the picks quite a bit. If Jaylon comes back strong this is a fantastic draft but if he doesn't I feel like this would be an average draft. 

As always, I appreciate the time and thought you put into your mocks King.

Curious, if Jaylon was taken in front of you on the trade down, who would be the pick at 17?