NFL's best GM's ATL Ranks...

27. Thomas Dimitroff/Scott Pioli, Falcons  

Last Year’s Ranking: — —  

If there’s one thing the Falcons lead the league in, it’s general managers. Thomas Dimitroff has three ex-GMs working under him. Scott Pioli is the most visible, but joined by Ruston Webster and Phil Emery. Dimitroff’s power was greatly reduced in favor of Pioli last year, but it’s he who retains the title. According to the team, Dimitroff manages the cap, “player affairs, equipment, sports medicine and performance, and video activities." Pioli handles everything else, including the draft room. With the Falcons’ roster left barren by years of poor drafting, Dimitroff and Pioli spent big in free agency, adding C Alex Mack, Mohamed Sanu and DE Derrick Shelby, amongst many others. They’re good players, but one can question the wisdom of giving a 30-year-old center $28.5 million guaranteed. Sanu is a No. 3 receiver the Falcons need to be a No. 2. Players like Vic Beasley, Jake Matthews and Devonta Freeman offer hope beyond the Falcons’ star core of Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Desmond Trufant, but they’re still many Pro Bowlers short of pushing the Panthers in the AFC South. Dimitroff, who has been on the job since 2008, has only himself to blame.      

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/61907/57/nfls-best-gms-2016 link

link above to see the whole list. atlanta is 27 out of 28 ranked gms :( ........

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying this for years, TD hid behind Smitty letting him take all the blame for the teams personnel failures.  I hope people finally see  what TD done which is draft poorly and it destroy the teams winning pedigree. 

Edited by insight

6 minutes ago, insight said:

I've been saying this for years, TD hid behind Smitty letting him take all the blame for the teams personnel failures.  I hope people finally see TD was not able to simply drafted poorly and it eventually destroyed the teams winning pedigree. 

I could get behind this except with all of the coaching vacancies, Smitty went to be a DC in Tampa. Working under a guy who he used to be in charge of. Quinn also vouched for the guy. Not saying you're wrong, just think it was Smitty more than TD. 

Still can't get past the fact that Freeman saw so little snaps and SJAX got so many.

24 minutes ago, krammmit said:

I could get behind this except with all of the coaching vacancies, Smitty went to be a DC in Tampa. Working under a guy who he used to be in charge of. Quinn also vouched for the guy. Not saying you're wrong, just think it was Smitty more than TD. 

Still can't get past the fact that Freeman saw so little snaps and SJAX got so many.

Freeman was not ready to start his rookie year. The entire offensive line was decimated with injuries so having a running back who knew how to pick up all the blitzes became the #1 priority. 

Smitty's teams were consistently competitive year in and year out when he had talent to work with. When TD missed on Turners replacement,Lofton replacement, Ray Edwards and Konz, and Baker the team had too many holes in critical positions. 

The coach who just won the superbowl took a couple of seasons off before landing the gig. You got to remember when you interview for a head coaching job, you have to tell the team who your staff would be etc.. 

27 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Article from rotoworld regarding GM's? No thanks. 2 losing seasons out of 8 does not equal 27th in my book. Sorry

The team declined as more of his draft picks were forced into starting positions. People complained that Smitty never played the young guys and now you know why, they weren't NFL caliber players. I'm more impressed with what Smitty was able to accomplish with this team, TD always had to trade up to find talent most good teams don't do that on a consistent basis. 

40 minutes ago, insight said:

The team declined as more of his draft picks were forced into starting positions. People complained that Smitty never played the young guys and now you know why, they weren't NFL caliber players. I'm more impressed with what Smitty was able to accomplish with this team, TD always had to trade up to find talent most good teams don't do that on a consistent basis. 

Dead on point bro.....idk why all the TD lovers and AB don't get it

5 hours ago, mumblesjr,jr said:

27. Thomas Dimitroff/Scott Pioli, Falcons  

Last Year’s Ranking: — —  

If there’s one thing the Falcons lead the league in, it’s general managers. Thomas Dimitroff has three ex-GMs working under him. Scott Pioli is the most visible, but joined by Ruston Webster and Phil Emery. Dimitroff’s power was greatly reduced in favor of Pioli last year, but it’s he who retains the title. According to the team, Dimitroff manages the cap, “player affairs, equipment, sports medicine and performance, and video activities." Pioli handles everything else, including the draft room. With the Falcons’ roster left barren by years of poor drafting, Dimitroff and Pioli spent big in free agency, adding C Alex Mack, Mohamed Sanu and DE Derrick Shelby, amongst many others. They’re good players, but one can question the wisdom of giving a 30-year-old center $28.5 million guaranteed. Sanu is a No. 3 receiver the Falcons need to be a No. 2. Players like Vic Beasley, Jake Matthews and Devonta Freeman offer hope beyond the Falcons’ star core of Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Desmond Trufant, but they’re still many Pro Bowlers short of pushing the Panthers in the AFC South. Dimitroff, who has been on the job since 2008, has only himself to blame.      

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/61907/57/nfls-best-gms-2016 link

link above to see the whole list. atlanta is 27 out of 28 ranked gms :( ........

I think between Quinn & Pioli's influence, they have actually made Dimitroff better....or, at least appear that way.  Last year's draft was pretty good, probably our best in several years.
Still, I think the ranking is pretty much on point --- at least, for the last 2-3 years.  But, if he doesn't hit some "home runs" in this draft, I'd say he will be gone!  We'll see ---

Edited by FalconJim

4 hours ago, krammmit said:

It's possible to lay that on Smitty, but only in a roundabout way.  One of Smitty's qualities - or failings depending on point of view - is that he let his position coaches make the call on where players fell on the depth chart.  It was actually Gerald Brown who kept Jackson in and Freeman out.  Could Smitty have overridden that?  Of course, but undermining his staff was something he didn't do despite working side by side with a GM who did it with regularity.

24 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

It's possible to lay that on Smitty, but only in a roundabout way.  One of Smitty's qualities - or failings depending on point of view - is that he let his position coaches make the call on where players fell on the depth chart.  It was actually Gerald Brown who kept Jackson in and Freeman out.  Could Smitty have overridden that?  Of course, but undermining his staff was something he didn't do despite working side by side with a GM who did it with regularity.

Yup.

You know this better than I do  given your relationship with the former staff, but  I got a good idea about this when  Osi went on the air and basically blasted Nolan for not using him.

He said  pretty much  Smitty asked where is Osi and why isn't Osi on the field.

At the end of the day that falls on the HC to take control of the situation  but as you out it, one of his greatest strengths ended up being one of the things that got him canned.

8 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

You know this better than I do  given your relationship with the former staff, but  I got a good idea about this when  Osi went on the air and basically blasted Nolan for not using him.

He said  pretty much  Smitty asked where is Osi and why isn't Osi on the field.

At the end of the day that falls on the HC to take control of the situation  but as you out it, one of his greatest strengths ended up being one of the things that got him canned.

The same case could be made about Dan Quinn. What does it say when your offensive coordinator calls 3 straight plays in the middle of a playoff run to settle a feud with a player he clearly does not like? What does it say when the OC intentionally avoids using one of the most proven weapons on the team because they don't get along? What about cutting Joe Hawley one week before the regular season in favor of a player who never played the position? Where was the head coach during these critical decisions?