Would Floyd and Beasley play the same role?

AndySG

I am prepared to be educated on the nuances of football here, but if we drafted Floyd how would you see him and Beasley working out?

Both seem to primarily be pass rushers, so who would play where?

This is a lack of knowledge thread rather than me claiming that picking Floyd would be redundant or would make Vic redundant btw. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Floyd is the pick, I think he will start out as a situational player in sub-packages.  

There are some around here that think Floyd would play off the line as a WILL or Middle Linebacker.  I personally don't see it; not with the guys that were signed/re-signed and not with the cut-ups I've seen of him actually doing it.  His natural position is on the line of scrimmage.  SAM makes the most sense, but there are questions about his upper body strength and Upshaw already has a headstart on bloodying peoples noses as a SAM.

With his frame and his skill set I'm just not sure he is quite ready to step in and be an every down player and I would guess he's going to cross-train at several positions: LEO, SAM, etc.  But I expect his primary role will be as a nickel rusher in which case you can never have enough guys that can get after the quarterback, so it wouldn't be a redundant pick at all.

297455c376b2f31a048540cda9cd8250-origina

2 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Only reason I don't doubt Floyd can play middle or will is because I look a Jaylon smith and see similar body types, plus hoe much worse could he be than a MLB name Worrilow who was ranked dead last in the NFL

It may not seem like a huge difference, but there is between 6'3 and 6'6".  And Jaylon's body at 6'3" seems a bit thicker.

This pic right here is what I mean when I say he doesn't look natural.  When you play inside linebacker, you have to live in this stance.  Every movement -- forward, back, right, left -- you have to be able to move (aka scrape) in this stance with your knees flexed so that you can get take on a block with a solid base.  Coaches say this right here will expose athleticism, or lack thereof.

And it's really tough on those tall guys with long legs, even the ones who are athletic.  Jaylon moves naturally and fluid from this position while staying low.  

CAt_CDYWcAA6mx-.jpg

Just for fun if anyone wants to see for themselves, get up in your office or in the middle of your living room in this stance and try to explode forward without keeping your knees flexed.    

Floyd is a guy we can use all over the place in niche LBer roles.  His length/speed ratio is amazing.  I just watched more film of him yesterday and the more I watched him the more impressed i became.  His upside is phenomenal.  He lacks functional strength and is twiggy/thinboned.  That would be one of the only reasons we wouldn't consider him however imo.

He does make up some of that lack of functional strength with this...

"He is surprisingly powerful at the point of attack, flashing dynamite in his hands with an effective hand slap to knock away blockers attempting to gain control"  This really stood out to me when looking at that film too. 

7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It may not seem like a huge difference, but there is between 6'3 and 6'6".  And Jaylon's body at 6'3" seems a bit thicker.

This pic right here is what I mean when I say he doesn't look natural.  When you play inside linebacker, you have to live in this stance.  Every movement -- forward, back, right, left -- you have to be able to move (aka scrape) in this stance with your knees flexed so that you can get take on a block with a solid base.  Coaches say this right here will expose athleticism, or lack thereof.

And it's really tough on those tall guys with long legs, even the ones who are athletic.  Jaylon moves naturally and fluid from this position while staying low.  

CAt_CDYWcAA6mx-.jpg

Just for fun if anyone wants to see for themselves, get up in your office or in the middle of your living room in this stance and try to explode forward without keeping your knees flexed.    

I get what you're saying trust me I do, but I remember this same thing being said about Anthony Barr, and what makes me more intrigued for Floyd over say a Lee is his ability to pass rush

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

What was said about Anthony Barr?  And he still plays SAM in Minnesota, doesn't he? 

I remember some saying he was 2 light, I'm just giving you my opinion I think Floyd can play all 3 spots, and add In that ability to be a pass rusher, a good one at that. I him and Lee are on the board im taking Floyd all day long...

1 minute ago, HaRdH3ad said:

I remember some saying he was 2 light, I'm just giving you my opinion I think Floyd can play all 3 spots, and add In that ability to be a pass rusher, a good one at that. I him and Lee are on the board im taking Floyd all day long...

Oh, ok.  But Barr is playing pretty much the same position in the NFL that he played at UCLA.  

Floyd can play 3 spots, but being able to play 3 spots and excelling at 3 spots are two different things.  I mean you can slot guys anywhere theoretically.  I remember a few years ago when everyone was going crazy over the 3-4 defense; posters were saying play Spoon at outside backer and let him get after the quarterback.  It just doesn't work like that.

You wanna play guys where they're best at and if you draft Floyd at 17 he's being drafted to rush the passer; not force him on the field at an unnatural position.  

And I totally agree with your point about him over Lee, but as a pass rusher he doesn't have to start to have an impact.

15 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Oh, ok.  But Barr is playing pretty much the same position in the NFL that he played at UCLA.  

Floyd can play 3 spots, but being able to play 3 spots and excelling at 3 spots are two different things.  I mean you can slot guys anywhere theoretically.  I remember a few years ago when everyone was going crazy over the 3-4 defense; posters were saying play Spoon at outside backer and let him get after the quarterback.  It just doesn't work like that.

You wanna play guys where they're best at and if you draft Floyd at 17 he's being drafted to rush the passer; not force him on the field at an unnatural position.  

And I totally agree with your point about him over Lee, but as a pass rusher he doesn't have to start to have an impact.

I agree that Floyd can be an instant impact pass rusher, but I disagree that it's the ONLY position he should be drafted to play. Don't get me wrong, Floyd is legit my #1 edge prospect this year, but he's also my #2 off-ball LB prospect this year behind only Jack who's a lock top 5 pick.

5 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

I agree that Floyd can be an instant impact pass rusher, but I disagree that it's the ONLY position he should be drafted to play. Don't get me wrong, Floyd is legit my #1 edge prospect this year, but he's also my #2 off-ball LB prospect this year behind only Jack who's a lock top 5 pick.

What kind of formula are you using for your off-ball linebackers?

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

What kind of formula are you using for your off-ball linebackers?

no formula. Just filtering out any LBs with a 40 time worse than 4.75, and watching as much as I can of the ones under that. That's why I'm such a fan of Nick Vigil.

2 hours ago, datboilando said:

Quinn said he can see him playing mlb

21 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Considering Quinn himself said he see Floyd as an ILB i will say no they wont play the same position 

Hey, I've been looking for this for a while.  Any of you two happen to have a link to a direct quote?

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

35 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Hey, I've been looking for this for a while.  Any of you two happen to have a link to a direct quote?

I saw the video. It was when the Falcons were at UGA pro day. Sorry no link man. I'm on my phone right now but will see if i can point you in the right direction in a minute