NPR asks, is it ok to profit cooking other cultures food? Is it Racist?

dirtyhairy

NPR Asks If It's 'OK to Profit' From Cooking Food of 'Other Cultures'...Or Is It Racist?  

Since National Public Radio is a taxpayer-funded liberal sandbox, you can find examples nearly  every day of NPR conducting a conversation with its liberal audience on all the liberal obsessions of the moment, like the new political-correctness theme of “cultural appropriation,” like being mad at Justin Bieber for wearing dreadlocks, because that’s a black thing.

This week, NPR asked “When Is It OK To Profit From Cooking Other Cultures' Food?” In other words, is it okay for an Indian-American to run a pizza joint, or an Italian to run an Indian restaurant? If you're a white guy cooking Mexican food, it is racist or "neocolonialist"? Apparently, to the Left, you should “stick to your own kind” when selling food.

NPR’s Maria Kodoy and Kat Chow (seriously, a food expert named “Kat Chow”?) went to Twitter to ask fellow liberals what they thought:

Edited by dirtyhairy

Just now, lostone said:

I have stepped in an Asian restaurant once that didn't have Asians in it... Never again 

Isn't that what this hipster "fusion" crap is?  "We mix Asian and Mexican, teriyaki chicken soft taco's ******!"

Only $20 for two tacos...

7 hours ago, dirtyhairy said:

NPR Asks If It's 'OK to Profit' From Cooking Food of 'Other Cultures'...Or Is It Racist?  

Since National Public Radio is a taxpayer-funded liberal sandbox, you can find examples nearly  every day of NPR conducting a conversation with its liberal audience on all the liberal obsessions of the moment, like the new political-correctness theme of “cultural appropriation,” like being mad at Justin Bieber for wearing dreadlocks, because that’s a black thing.

This week, NPR asked “When Is It OK To Profit From Cooking Other Cultures' Food?” In other words, is it okay for an Indian-American to run a pizza joint, or an Italian to run an Indian restaurant? If you're a white guy cooking Mexican food, it is racist or "neocolonialist"? Apparently, to the Left, you should “stick to your own kind” when selling food.

NPR’s Maria Kodoy and Kat Chow (seriously, a food expert named “Kat Chow”?) went to Twitter to ask fellow liberals what they thought:

It's just another example of far left liberals, who love to shout racist, basically being racist.

18 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Isn't that what this hipster "fusion" crap is?  "We mix Asian and Mexican, teriyaki chicken soft taco's ******!"

Only $20 for two tacos...

That doesn't sound too bad, but $20 for 2 tacos?!  

Food trucks today have crazy cross cultural menus.

13 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

That doesn't sound too bad, but $20 for 2 tacos?!  

Food trucks today have crazy cross cultural menus.

Food trucks are great, and I had BBQ tacos from one that were reasonably priced and tasted f'ing awesome.  But they weren't marketing themselves as a fusion restaurant, it was just on the menu.  

For the record, even at the restaurants the food tastes fine.  I was just referring to the one's that jumped on the fusion marketing train and way over-priced their menu.  2 tacos with rice should be <$10.

I kinda get the impression this topic is a lot more inflammatory to those that are hypersensitive about the accusation of racism than those that are hypersensitive about what's probably the most ubiquitous and anodyne form of cultural appropriation.

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

3rd?  Please...There were numerous aliases that had the root of "Google/Goggle" not to mention the cyber's, Ferguson's, Django's, etc.  My favorite was the one where he played the fake conservative.  

Django wasn't me. It's too bad there are so many delicate flowers posting here that I got reported so much for hurty words. 

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

That we agree on.  I may have the name wrong but you were a Django character, no?  I m not sure who's skin you got under but I had an unwritten mutual agreement with you that we never reported each other.  I don't think you are the reporting kind?  Despite all the false rumors, even up to yesterday, I also was not the reporting kind.  

Nope. Not sure who you're talking about. I've only ever reported one post (a mod because it was funny to me). Probably why I got banned on site for a while.