why do the falcons always select backups in free agency

thewatcher

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the best teams draft their impact players. The only time you go get a player like that in FA is when you're only that player away from a SB. Like Seattle going after Avril and Bennett after losing to us in the playoffs. NE doesn't get impact players in FA. They draft their impact players. Then the player had to fit your philosophy. Most nfl players are scheme specific and can't play in any system. Lawrence Taylor never played in a 4-3 in the nfl so it wouldn't have made sense for a 4-3 team to bet him in FA. Deion Sanders never played for a zone team. He played in man to man defenses. So just because an "impact player" is on the market doesn't mean he'd impact in our system. 

This is a very good subject.  Which may have some truth but not full truth.

Many of our FA selections weren't extremely high dollar choices.  Fine, I get that.  But I can't help but think you're a bit sore over the lack of those blockbuster guys.  

Part of me wants to scream out that ur just a young, instant gratification, I want my SB now guy... but I'll restrain myself and add another dimension to your post.

I am more irked when we take late round guys in the draft with the intention of beefing up our special teams unit.

I get that, but hope we'd actually try to find future stars who have an outside shot at starting in the future. Maybe that means a sick athlete with no true position. Or a guy who had a bad injury but had outstanding tools for the pros prior to the injury. Or even that guy who made terrible decisions with drugs or violence who we feel has genuinely committed his life to fulfill his dreams.

Rather than the guy who will forever only be expected to hustle on special teams.

11 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Because the best teams draft their impact players. The only time you go get a player like that in FA is when you're only that player away from a SB. Like Seattle going after Avril and Bennett after losing to us in the playoffs. NE doesn't get impact players in FA. They draft their impact players. Then the player had to fit your philosophy. Most nfl players are scheme specific and can't play in any system. Lawrence Taylor never played in a 4-3 in the nfl so it wouldn't have made sense for a 4-3 team to bet him in FA. Deion Sanders never played for a zone team. He played in man to man defenses. So just because an "impact player" is on the market doesn't mean he'd impact in our system. 

Good point. Also teams who've blown 10 seasons of mediocrity aand picked in the top ten 6 years in a row and built up millions of dollars in unused cap which they were forced to spend.

7 minutes ago, thewatcher said:

are you folks blind or what? next year will be the same bs as this year and the next and the next

Like I said Quinn wants to draft his impact players. Like every great team has ever done. No heavy playing FA team has ever become a real contender. Maybe one year but not for the long haul. Now missing on draft picks is another thing but drafting your impact players is how you become a winner. Quinn comes from a winning organization and Caroll uses the same blueprint. Draft your impact players. Most of his key players were drafted. Wilson, Sherman, Kam, Irvin, Baldwin, Thomas and so forth. Bennett and Avril weren't even top players on their previous teams but they fit the Seahawks system. They weren't starters either. They came in on rush packages. 

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Good point. Also teams who've blown 10 seasons of mediocrity aand picked in the top ten 6 years in a row and built up millions of dollars in unused cap which they were forced to spend.

Exactly. Seattle sucked for some years before they turned it around. And that happened when Carroll got there. It's not like the Falcons didn't go get Abe who was an impact player. Rod Coleman who was an impact player. Big Grady etc...The problem is our DRAFTEES haven't lived up to the billing. Vick went to prison but before that the Smiths had some bad drafts. We are a result of bad drafting for years. When reeves put a squad together he proceeded to rip it apart as well. Consistency is what we've missed in the draft. I believe it's changing with Quinn drafting scheme specific players. That matters more than a big name. 

We ARE NOT the Seattle Seahawks. We are the Atlanta Falcons with a different F.O., different owner, different demographics than the Seahawks, so comparing us to them is asinine.

For YEARS, we tried to compare ourselves to the Patriots (because of Dimitroff) and where has that gotten us? And now you all want to compare us to the Seahawks?

hashbrown you and fatboi sound good but you're saying nothing first of all we don't draft well at all and I don't believe in players that fit a system good football players fit any system and we don't pick good players in the last 8 years we picked 2 good players matt? and Julio that's it and you know i'm not lying

3 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

We ARE NOT the Seattle Seahawks. We are the Atlanta Falcons with a different F.O., different owner, different demographics than the Seahawks, so comparing us to them is asinine.

And that's a good thing.  I don't believe, outside of referring to Seattle as an example, that we are interested in being known as a Seattle Junior. We want our own legacy & think DQ also wants his own identity and build the team our city believes in and will stop being skeptical about. 

Know what I mean?

3 minutes ago, thewatcher said:

hashbrown you and fatboi sound good but you're saying nothing first of all we don't draft well at all and I don't believe in players that fit a system good football players fit any system and we don't pick good players in the last 8 years we picked 2 good players matt? and Julio that's it and you know i'm not lying

So Tru and Matthews aren't good? Bosher? Freeman? Alford? Allen?

12 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

For YEARS, we tried to compare ourselves to the Patriots (because of Dimitroff) and where has that gotten us? And now you all want to compare us to the Seahawks?

It's not a comparison. It's a system he comes from. Every coach, gm or whoever comes from a family tree brings that way of doing things with them to a new team. Belichik carried parcells way of doing things with him. Bill Walsh Paul Brown. Mike Holmgren/Bill Walsh. Nothing in my statement was a comparison other than HISTORY proves that you build great teams thru drafting. There's no way you can dispel this because history has proved it. FA didn't come into existence until the 90's and the teams that were drafting well contributed to be top teams. You can't name one team that FA themselves to greatness. They all were great because of their drafts. Not FA. Dallas was a well drafted team BEFORE Deion. The niners were a well drafted team and only needed Deion in FA to get over the hump. 

14 minutes ago, thewatcher said:

There are only a handful of those players that fit ANY system. So that's false. The majority of football players are scheme specific. They played in a certain system in college all the way to pro. It's a reason 3-4 teams go get 3-4 type lb's out of college. Most 3-4 lb's don't do well in a 4-3. Most West coast qb's don't fair well in 4 verts. Only a handful can okay in any system. Prove the theory wrong? Show me all the different players that could play anywhere regardless of scheme? Montana NEVER played outside of the west coast offense in his pro career. Neither did Steve Young. Tampa he wasn't a starter but his first pro coach ran west coast. 

17 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

It's not a comparison. It's a system he comes from. Every coach, gm or whoever comes from a family tree brings that way of doing things with them to a new team. Belichik carried parcells way of doing things with him. Bill Walsh Paul Brown. Mike Holmgren/Bill Walsh. Nothing in my statement was a comparison other than HISTORY proves that you build great teams thru drafting. There's no way you can dispel this because history has proved it. FA didn't come into existence until the 90's and the teams that were drafting well contributed to be top teams. You can't name one team that FA themselves to greatness. They all were great because of their drafts. Not FA. Dallas was a well drafted team BEFORE Deion. The niners were a well drafted team and only needed Deion in FA to get over the hump. 

So, by this standard that means Josh McDaniels was one **** of a HC coach. I mean, he did come from a Super Bowl winning system, right.