Jump to content

Predict the Braves first win...


E. T.
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Since we're aiming for the total awfulness I say we go all in. 0-5? Meh! Let's go 0-11 and set a new Braves record! What do you say?

I was an Orioles fan when they went 0-21 to start the '88 season, so all this is amateur hour to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2016 at 6:31 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

0-21? Holy freaking goodness!!!

The O's ended up at 54–107 that year, even with Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken still around. Even the owner died in August. They made a sound trade midseason, sending Mike Boddicker, who was a solid starting pitcher, to Boston for some minor leaguers named Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling. 

Next season, the O's had a massive improvement, going 87–75 and finishing only two games behind Toronto for the division. The turnaround was thanks in large part to the play of young players drafted and traded for the proceeding couple of years, like Anderson, Steve Finley, Mike Devereaux, Mickey Tettleton, and Gregg Olson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

The O's ended up at 54–107 that year, even with Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken still around. Even the owner died in August. They made a sound trade midseason, sending Mike Boddicker, who was a solid starting pitcher, to Boston for some minor leaguers named Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling. 

Next season, the O's had a massive improvement, going 87–75 and finishing only two games behind Toronto for the division. The turnaround was thanks in large part to the play of young players drafted and traded for the proceeding couple of years, like Anderson, Steve Finley, Mike Devereaux, Mickey Tettleton, and Gregg Olson. 

Turns out they didn't keep Curt Schilling or Steve Finley. But I did actually know they they did play with the O's at the beginning of their careers. Did not know that Schilling was drafted by Boston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Turns out they didn't keep Curt Schilling or Steve Finley. But I did actually know they they did play with the O's at the beginning of their careers. Did not know that Schilling was drafted by Boston.

Yeah, Schilling, Finley, and Pete Harnish for Glenn Davis was their version of the Teixeira trade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Yeah, Schilling, Finley, and Pete Harnish for Glenn Davis was their version of the Teixeira trade. 

WOW!! Didn't know Schilling had a stop in Houston. Houston had a lot of great players that they didn't keep in the early 90s. I mean they turned around and traded Schilling to the Phillies for Jason Grimsley. Sure they regretted that move.

Just looking up this stuff and see that the Braves drafted Steve Finley in 1986 but he didn't sign.

What a blockbuster trade this ended up being. December 28, 1994.

Padres Get:

  • Steve Finley, Ken Caminiti, Andujar Cenedo, Roberto Petagine, Brian Williams and Sean Fesh (PTBNL)

Astros Get:

  • Derek Bell, Doug Brocail, Ricky Gutierrez, Pedro Martinez (not that Pedro), Phil Plantier, Craig Shipley.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...