A Different Mock Draft

Artys Arryn

So usually around this time of year, and this year is no exception, the board has looked at prospects in relation to our picks and has attached itself to a few favorites. The names Shaq Lawson, Darron Lee, S'ua Cravens, Keanu Neal, and Jeremy Cash are probably familiar to the most casual of lurkers. I personally enjoy thinking about different scenarios and possibilities that are considerably different from the typical mock draft and considering what it would mean for us. Without any further rambling, I present to you, a different mock draft.

1. Titans select - Laremy Tunsil

2. Browns select - Carson Wentz

3. Chargers select - DeForest Buckner

4. Cowboys select - Jalen Ramsey

5. Jaguars select - Joey Bosa

6. Ravens select - Ronnie Stanley

7. 49ers select - Jared Goff

TRADE: Falcons trade 17th, 50th, and 2017 3rd to the Eagles for the 8th pick.

Why it happens: The Eagles miss out on the two top QBs of the class. The next highest prospect on their big board is Ezekiel Elliot and taking a RB in the Top 10 doesn't sound as good as moving back and stockpiling more picks.

8. Falcons select Myles Jack, WLB, UCLA

NFL Draft Profile compares to NaVorro Bowman

" Jack is one of the best players in this draft class, and will be a serious consideration for most teams early in the draft. With his ability to cover (even from the slot), and how well he gets off blocks in the running game, it would be a shock to see him fall out of the top 10 picks. " - PFF

"I wouldn't get cute with him. I would stick him at WILL and just let him be a free running chaser. He has the speed to get to everything and his cover talent will set him apart." -- NFC executive

"For the NFL, Jack would be a perfect fit as a Will (weakside) linebacker in a 4-3 defense. In a 3-4, he could play inside linebacker. Jack should be a three-down starter quickly, and he could reach Pro Bowl level early in his NFL. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jack becomes a star and is one of the best pros to come out of the 2016 NFL Draft. With his tremendous athletic upside, the sky is the limit for Jack." - Walterfootball

81st Pick - Darian Thompson, SS, Boise State

A strong safety with ball skills. There a a plethora of safety prospects projected around the 2nd and one or two are likely to slip into the third. My prediction is Darian Thompson is still on the board when the Falcons take the stage again. 

" Thompson has the anticipation and ball-skills to read quarterbacks and make plays on the ball, but he also guesses too much and lacks the same cover skills once asked to turn and run. His inconsistencies make it tough to trust him as the last line of defense, but his playmaking instincts and toughness will interest NFL coaches as a downhill safety. " - CBS Sports

" Thompson received All-American recognition in each of the past two seasons. After picking off seven passes in 2014, he added five more in just 11 games this season, totaling 19 for his career (tied for the most of any player in the country). But the 6-foot-2, 205-pound defender isn't just a ballhawk -- he is a physical presence in the secondary and solid tackler in space (242 career tackles) and behind the line of scrimmage (8.5 tackles for loss in 2015). " - NFL Draft Profile

115th Pick - Joe Dahl, OG, Washington State

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000643538/2016-Combine-workout-Joe-Dahl

Dahl has played both Tackle and Guard but doesn't have the physical gifts to make it at Tackle in the NFL. His NFL Draft Profile calls him an average athlete but good football player. I haven't watch a ton of take on Dahl but what I have, he seems to do really well in pass coverage and I believe he could become a solid starter between Mack and Schraeder.

238th Pick - Tyrone Holmes, DE, Montana

Finished career with 34 sacks and 49 1/2 tackles for a loss. He was a phenomenal division two pass rusher and has drummed up a little excitement. I've seen him projected anywhere from the 5th to 7th so I'm going to slot him to us. If he is unavailable I'd like to see Quinn find a developmental pass rusher of his choosing here.

In summary, we would upgrade our defense significantly with the addition of Myles Jack and Darian Thompson and potentially solidify our offensive line for years to come with Joe Dahl. All while maintaining our top picks for next year. and before anyone complains that we would have to give up more, I made my trade using the draft value chart and if anything we are slightly overpaying. With so many people wanting us to use our second on Jaylon Smith, I think this is a better alternative. We get the difference maker we desperately need on defense without sacrificing too much to get him. Also, before people say there is no way he is available at 8, I would generally agree. I rank him as the third best player in this class, however some teams may not know how to utilize him and opt to go with a more conventional pick in the top 5/top 10.

1 minute ago, xskyx said:

I wouldn't mind this. Get ready for the "we can't afford to trade" crowd

People always say that, and I would typically agree that trading up costs too much, however in this instance I believe it would be such an impact that the cost is negligible. Jack is the closest to a being sure thing for our defense by a decent margin.

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

If it's that easy to get jack I'd be all for it. 

He would have to fall, but if the Eagles don't covet him, the value works out in their favor.

15 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

People always say that, and I would typically agree that trading up costs too much, however in this instance I believe it would be such an impact that the cost is negligible. Jack is the closest to a being sure thing for our defense by a decent margin.

He would have to fall, but if the Eagles don't covet him, the value works out in their favor.

I like it. 

Myles Jack is my favorite player in this draft. Darian Thompson might be my favorite safety. I don't know anything about Holmes or Dahl, but Jack in the 1st (not giving up all that much to trade up) and Thompson in the third would get me pumped lol. 

16 minutes ago, atlGM said:

if we traded for jack i might actually have to give TD some credit. I love Thompson as a player but to me we'd have to take a pass rusher in the 3rd.

Is there a pass rusher in the third who would actually get significant playing time? Honest question. I could see a few situational guys being there but Thompson could come in and play the majority of snaps as our SS, which in my mind makes him more of an impact.

5 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

If thats all it took....yeah, run it....probably gonna take a 2nd next year instead of the 3rd

That would be a pretty large overpay on our part. If that were the case I'd want another of their picks to go with it. Maybe a 5th this year.

No, No, No... Too many holes to trade up.

Then the DE from Montana pissed me off.. I thought everyone wanted to get away from the Montana/South Dakota/Division 5 type pass rushers we got accustomed to under Smitty & TD. 

I hope we sit like last year and let DQ, Pioli & TD build the roster with every pick. The only picks I'd be comfortable trading are 4ths or later and we don't have that ammo. 

1 minute ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

No, No, No... Too many holes to trade up.

Then the DE from Montana pissed me off.. I thought everyone wanted to get away from the Montana/South Dakota/Division 5 type pass rushers we got accustomed to under Smitty & TD. 

I hope we sit like last year and let DQ, Pioli & TD build the roster with every pick. The only picks I'd be comfortable trading are 4ths or later and we don't have that ammo. 

That's a fair opinion. I feel like in my scenario the juice is worth the squeeze but not everyone will agree. With us already being so low on picks this year, there is literally no way to fix all of our holes in the draft and that's if we hit on all of our picks. What I'm proposing is guaranteeing (or as close as it gets in the NFL draft) a significant upgrade to our defense at the cost of one 2nd round guy this year.

As for Tyrone Holmes, what I wanted to get across here is I think the 7th rounder should be a developmental pass rusher. Tyrone Holmes is my preference because he has good measurables and a good body of work to look at. And for the record, I've never been on the 'No division 2 players' boat. I think making those type of rules is foolish and talent should be evaluated the same regardless of where the prospect played. 

Isn't the 8th pick in the draft worth 1400 points? If so, this trade is a lil short. Also Jack won't make it out of the top 5 unless there are serious concerns about his recovery. Love the Joe Dahl pick I believe Mayock was high on him during his performance at the combine. Boise State SS is top 3 pure SS imo so if he is there at 81 that is a nice pick. Idk much about the DE though, so no comment.

1 minute ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

Isn't the 8th pick in the draft worth 1400 points? If so, this trade is a lil short. Also Jack won't make it out of the top 5 unless there are serious concerns about his recovery. Love the Joe Dahl pick I believe Mayock was high on him during his performance at the combine. Boise State SS is top 3 pure SS imo so if he is there at 81 that is a nice pick. Idk much about the DE though, so no comment.

the points don't completely matter. It's up to the receiving team to accept or decline any offer. 

1 minute ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

The points don't mean everything but just to break it down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

The 8th pick is worth 1400. The 17th pick is worth 950. The 50th is worth 400. For a total of 1350. A third next year is worth anywhere from 50-100 points.

Odd are, Myles Jack does not get past Jacksonville at #5 or Cowboys at #4.   Having said that, if it did happen, it's at least conceivable.  I was ready to criticize you on the compensation (NFL Trade Chart) but it looks like you did consult it and 

Eagles #1-08 = 1,400 points

Falcons #1-17 = 950 points + Falcons #2-50 = 400 = 1,350.   You have Falcons also giving up a 2017 3rd rounder but you might could even get by with a 2017 4th rounder to make the deal work.

I just don't see Eagles doing this deal - let's say you are right and Goff/Wentz are gone.   If the Eagles like Paxton Lynch, they are not going to drop behind the Rams at ##15, right?   As well, if you assume Ezekiel Elliot is a close equivalent to an ACL injured Todd Gurley (who went #10 overall last year), then absolutely the Eagles could take Zeke right there at #8 overall and be perfectly justified.

Your trade is not outlandish and it could be realistic IF Myles Jack dropped that low - and the rest of your draft looked OK.

I would love to get Myles Jack, would not hate that trade, it is not too bad but it does hamstring us a little bit.

5 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

That's a fair opinion. I feel like in my scenario the juice is worth the squeeze but not everyone will agree. With us already being so low on picks this year, there is literally no way to fix all of our holes in the draft and that's if we hit on all of our picks. What I'm proposing is guaranteeing (or as close as it gets in the NFL draft) a significant upgrade to our defense at the cost of one 2nd round guy this year.

As for Tyrone Holmes, what I wanted to get across here is I think the 7th rounder should be a developmental pass rusher. Tyrone Holmes is my preference because he has good measurables and a good body of work to look at. And for the record, I've never been on the 'No division 2 players' boat. I think making those type of rules is foolish and talent should be evaluated the same regardless of where the prospect played. 

Truuu that, I agree with you.. The juice is worth it but I feel like that 2nd pick is going to be crucial going forward. Trading it wouldn't sit well with me but I definitely wouldn't cry about landing Myles. I read over the part about developing the last pick.. In that sense it makes sense. 

Btw :Its refreshing to be able to disagree but continue to discuss football without someone getting all butt hurt. +1

3 minutes ago, Leggggggo said:

What are the stats of teams trading up 10 spots (I know it's 9 in this case) and the player really being that impact player?

We hit the lottery on Julio, but players like RGIII scare me a lot!

I'm a fan of staying where we are...

I honestly don't know, but that would be really interesting. However, in my opinion it doesn't matter too much in this case because Jack is the real deal.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Odd are, Myles Jack does not get past Jacksonville at #5 or Cowboys at #4.   Having said that, if it did happen, it's at least conceivable.  I was ready to criticize you on the compensation (NFL Trade Chart) but it looks like you did consult it and 

Eagles #1-08 = 1,400 points

Falcons #1-17 = 950 points + Falcons #2-50 = 400 = 1,350.   You have Falcons also giving up a 2017 3rd rounder but you might could even get by with a 2017 4th rounder to make the deal work.

I just don't see Eagles doing this deal - let's say you are right and Goff/Wentz are gone.   If the Eagles like Paxton Lynch, they are not going to drop behind the Rams at ##15, right?   As well, if you assume Ezekiel Elliot is a close equivalent to an ACL injured Todd Gurley (who went #10 overall last year), then absolutely the Eagles could take Zeke right there at #8 overall and be perfectly justified.

You are correct that Jack falling to us would be a bit unexpected but that's why I listed who Jacksonville and Dallas take, I don't think either pick is crazy for those teams. As for the Eagles, Goff and Wentz have separated themselves from the pack as being the franchise QBs. Lynch is still a work in progress and will not start in 2016 IMO. Also, as far as I know there hasn't been much linking the Eagles and Lynch. And you have a good point about them taking Elliot at 8 and being somewhat justified (I don't personally believe he is close to Gurley in talent). However, when the choice is take a RB 8th overall, or trade back a few places, while stocking up on picks, I think they might take the picks. It would be worth the offer anyway.

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Truuu that, I agree with you.. The juice is worth it but I feel like that 2nd pick is going to be crucial going forward. Trading it wouldn't sit well with me but I definitely wouldn't cry about landing Myles. I read over the part about developing the last pick.. In that sense it makes sense. 

Btw :Its refreshing to be able to disagree but continue to discuss football without someone getting all butt hurt. +1

Cheers to that man.

No we can't afford that trade.  This team is in no position to start giving up draft picks to get 1 guy.  If the Falcons proved themselves last year and were a Super Bowl contender, than yes, making a trade like this makes sense.  

On the other hand, the less picks Thomas Dimitroff has, the better odds he won't screw up  

11 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

No we can't afford that trade.  This team is in no position to start giving up draft picks to get 1 guy.  If the Falcons proved themselves last year and were a Super Bowl contender, than yes, making a trade like this makes sense.  

On the other hand, the less picks Thomas Dimitroff has, the better odds he won't screw up  

I am not in favor of the trade either.

However, I will say this in defense of the trade.   Let's say the Falcons look at all the edge rushers and decide they don't like any of them.  Let's also assume the Falcons really want an alpha dog linebacker and they don't like Darron Lee's tackling ability and they don't like Ragland's limitations in coverage - they also are not jazzed about Jaylon Smith's knee and long-term prognosis.   Granted, that is a lot of ASSuming going on there.   But let's just say it is so.

In that scenario, I could see Falcons making that trade.  At that point, I would hope we would trade down from our 3rd round pick to maybe try and move to back of 3rd round and pick up a 4th rounder as well as I really think the Falcon need to be able to draft at least 4 players before the 5th round.

My main point here is - the trade is not off-the-chain crazy.   The key though, is Myles Jack would have to defy prognostications and drop into the late top 10 - we cannot move up to #4-6 to get him.

Myles Jack was so far out of the realm of possibility for me until this thread that I had not even really scouted him much - I think I will watch some more tape on him now and - if he slides past Jacksonville(#5) and Baltimore(#6) on draft day, my ears are gonna perk up like my Doberman's do.

doberman_by_bboylildre-d3fw7mm.jpg

12 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I honestly don't know, but that would be really interesting. However, in my opinion it doesn't matter too much in this case because Jack is the real deal.

The one thing being a fan of sports in general has taught me, there is no such thing as a sure thing! Look at Dante Fowler from last year, freak accidents change everything...

Edited by Leggggggo

2 minutes ago, Leggggggo said:

The one thing being a fan of sports in general has taught me, there is no such thing as a sure thing! Look at Dante Fowler from last year, freak accidents change everything...

Are you writing off Dante Fowler before he plays his first down?   I don't think so but just askin'....

Seems the entire board has written off Jadeveon Clowney as well.   I was a big believer in him before his injury - and - I admit my confidence is shaken with him right now,  but I believe it is too soon to write him off either.   He still could get 100% healthy and be a dominant force.

Everybody wants the payoff right away.   Some players take more time than others - i.e. Michael Turner(Falcons RB), Cameron Wake (Dolphins DE/OLB), James Harrison(OLB).

The problem is - the higher you are drafted, the less patience the fans have with you - and that is understandable.