Mike Devito retires too

He even wrote a letter 

http://thedrive.bangordailynews.com/2016/04/11/sports/111/

Mike DeVito thanks Chiefs, Jets, football in retirement letter

9:31 AM ET
  • ESPN.com news services

Former Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Mike DeVito is retiring, announcing his decision in acolumn in the Bangor Daily News.

"There are more important things in life than football," DeVito wrote. "As hard as it is to say goodbye to the game that has made me the man I am, I cannot wait for the second half of this journey through life, loving [wife] Jessie more and more every day and watching my son Rocco start a journey of his own."

The 31-year-old DeVito had a productive season for the Chiefs in 2015 after missing all but the opener the year before because of a torn Achilles tendon. He became a part-time starter last season after losing some of his playing time to the younger Jaye Howard but was solid against the run and had a career-high three sacks.

DeVito joined the Chiefs as a free agent in 2013 after spending six seasons with the New York Jets.

"I want to thank the New York Jets, the Kansas City Chiefs and all the amazing people I have met throughout my career," DeVito wrote. "To all my family, friends, and fans, thank you for making an average player feel like a hall of famer. And to the game of football, thank you for the past 18 years, all the memories, and the lessons that will continue to serve me for the rest of my life."

6 minutes ago, EJmusic said:

Wow. NFL might really be done in 10 yrs.

I doubt that. As long as theres a pay day there will be players. When more players in their prime 27-30 yrs old start hanging it up ill be concerned but devito is a second stringer. Made plenty of money and had a torn achilles not to far back. thats a rough injury. Ferguson was 32 and his play slipped last yr but he had a perfect career so why not walk away while healthy knowing youre set for life

Edited by SkerFalcon8710

2 hours ago, EJmusic said:

No way, what a lot of people don't understand is that Roger Goodell has changed the game so much and making a point to make it safer. He's had to face the challenge of dealing with this and at the same time, has brought in the highest ratings and highest gross profit the NFL has ever seen. Now, he is getting a ton of help simply just because fantasy football has blown up, but in 10 years, the game will have continued to evolve. The NFL is a multi billion dollar business and they will do whatever it takes to keep that moving. They see the writing on the wall that the game needs to get safer

2 hours ago, EJmusic said:

There is no way it will be done in 10 years. There are too many people on this earth that want to play football as a profession.  While some guys now and days get ridiculous contracts, the average contract will stay the same or go down due to demand.  Why do you think we have the NFL draft?  300 players picked every year, and out of those 300, a lot of them are going to take the spot of a guy who retires or what ever the case may be.