A Draft Worth Jack

First things first, there is something wrong with the Windows 10 upgrade and its compatibility on the new message boards. If you ever have this problem shoot me a message and Ill send you a template on what needs to be plugged into your computers configuration. 

Anyway I have been watching the boards and its good to be back. I see the hype for Darron Lee is slowly fading, Floyd is starting to rise and the Cravens kid has apparently already been selected by the Falcons. Personally I am a Lawson/Dodd fan in the first but I really don't think they'll be there by our pick. I'm not to big on Lee because I also believe he is the same player as Deion Jones. Finally, I don't believe Jones/Cravens will be there by our 50th pick. So we have a dilemma either trade back gather picks for depth and maybe 1 starting caliber player or trade up and get who some people call a faster Ray Lewis. No way am I saying Jack is a sure fire All-Pro player but lets consider who our GM is, who is in our front office and what we are trying to build. 

This is why I believe we shop our 17th, 50th, 2017's 1st,3rd and 4th to number 4 Dallas Cowboys. This allows us to jump the Jaguars who are expected to draft Jack at 5th overall by SI, ESPN, NFL.com. All comparisons, overviews, strengths and weaknesses are from CBS sports. Without further a do the draft:

Myles Jack OLB UCLA (4th overall Atlanta Falcons) - 

MY CASE FOR JACK: SEE ABOVE

COMPARES TO: NaVorro Bowman, San Francisco 49ers - When healthy, Bowman is one of the most talented and versatile linebackers in the NFL and Jack has that type of potential if his knee comes back strong post-surgery.

IN VIEW: An athletic specimen with above-average pursuit speed, contact balance and mental processor to know everything going on around him, Jack has the athletic skill set to be a difference-maker.

STRENGTHS:  Even on a team full of NFL prospects, Jack's pure athleticism stood out. Compactly-built with good overall musculature, light feet, a fluid turning motion and natural ball-skills, he could make the full-time switch to running back and earn early-round consideration. Given his impact ability on defense, however, teams may hesitate to do that. Jack is well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL as he combines rare agility and speed with awareness in coverage. He has the fluidity to cover backs and tight ends step for step and anticipates routes well, breaking free from his assignment to close quickly on the ball. Jack's ability in coverage make him ideally suited to playing outside in a 4-3 scheme, where his lack of ideal size is mitigated. Jack's burst and agility make him an effective edge rusher and he doesn't shy from contact. He shows an explosive pop on contact to break free from would-be blockers. The hand-eye coordination that makes him so effective in breaking up passes shows up in his tackling, as well, as Jack is consistently able to trip up smaller, quicker ballcarriers. Breaks down well and wraps securely for the reliable take-down with little to no yardage allowed after contact.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size at linebacker. Does not possess ideal length and can get caught up in the wash. Not an explosive hitter. Will need to prove the health of his season-ending knee injury that required surgery and will be limited in his ability to impress scouts on the field during the pre-draft period. 

myles-jack.jpeg

Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina State (81st overall Atlanta Falcons) - 

MY CASE FOR HARGRAVE: After watching his tape at draft breakdown (.) com the guy is a strong version of Babineux to me. Which is fantastic! Babineux in my opinion is a 3-Tech forever and always but Hargrave with his size and strength can play both 1-Tech in a 4-3 slide and 3-Tech. The guy is a monster of a man and could rotate well with a Dline of Jackson-Babs-Hageman-Mbu. I feel very confident Hargrave can push for a starting role with good coaching. My favorite thing about his game is his penetration. Whether he is ripping upfield or going for gap penetration he gets there. The guy goes with power and aggression and utilizes his flexibility. Kid is coachable.

COMPARES TO:  Earl Mitchell, Miami Dolphins. Pure one gap guys that will give unathletic linemen fits. Hargrave has all the tools to be an interior pass-rusher.

OVERVIEW:  Powerful big men who can move - that's what the NFL is looking for in defensive line prospects and that's what Hargrave offers. He can anchor to hold his ground vs. the run and generate an interior pass rush due to his snap anticipation and ability to convert quickness to power. His college head coach calls him a "special player" due to his ability to disrupt the rhythm of the pocket, something that will translate to the next level, ideally suited for a four-man front.

STRENGTHS:  Launches himself out of his stance with terrific initial quickness to break up the rhythm of blockers. He is stout at the point of attack with strong hands to lock out and control blocks. When he wins off the snap, he's able to disrupt the pocket's rhythm. Moves very well for a 315-pounder due to his flexible lower body to easily change directions in space and play low to the ground to get underneath blocks. He has a thick lower body with wide hips and meaty thighs, showing the ability to anchor at the point of attack and occupy multiple blockers

WEAKNESSES:  Has a bad habit of stopping his feet and getting caught up in the trash. Level of competition concerns, although he stood out against FBS prospects through the week at the Shrine Game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jayron Kearse SS Clemson (115th overall Atlanta Falcons) - 

MY CASE FOR KEARSE: Outside his game against FSU (absolutely below average imo) this guy is a solid pick. He is a pick that if he can get acclimated to NFL speed he may pan out to be a solid SS. My favorite thing about Kearse is that he is very opportunistic.He will hit also, but he is opportunistic. To me personally he is about on the same level as Ishmael as a rookie, however he reminds me of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. I think Ha-Ha had a pretty good rookie season, correct me if Im wrong. If he pans out TE coverage is solved. 

COMPARES TO:  He matches up well with athletic tight ends because of his size, and that could be very appealing to a lot of teams in the NFL. He absolutely loves football, and that's evident when you hear him speak. He's supremely confident in his own ability. He's competitive and he's tough and he plays a very similar style to Seahawks defensive back Kam Chancellor.

STRENGTHS:  Kearse's athletic range, ball-skills and physical nature are why scouts are excited about his potential. Bigger than most wide receivers. Stands out with his tall, long and lanky body type at the position, covering a lot of ground due to his long strides. Has shown freakish speed to go along with a knack for turnovers and explosive hitting ability throughout his collegiate career. not afraid to hit and has shown the ability to anticipate routes. NFL bloodlines: cousin of former NFL CB Phillip Buchanon and nephew of former Tennessee Titans pass rusher Jevon "The Freak" Kearse.

WEAKNESSES:   Bad habit of coasting and taking poor angles, which leads to chunk plays for the offense. Needs to eliminate the wasted steps and play with more control. While tall, still filling out his lanky frame and adding bulk to his 6-4 body type.

710x380_jayron_kearse.jpg?itok=aINjpVF7&

Jordan Walsh OG Iowa (238th overall Atlanta Falcons) - 

MY CASE FOR WALSH: The kid played against Hageman in college and did pretty well. He plays with aggression on every play. To me if I was creating him on madden his run block could be a B- and pass block of C. My favorite thing about Walsh is that he is "squatty" this actually is a great thing against athletic low level DTs like Dontari Poe (spelling). His tape is also pretty good. My favorite tape is Michigan State where he never failed to get to the next level to block. May be able to play Center. 

COMPARES TO: Marshall Yanda Baltimore Raven who also graduated from Iowa. 

STRENGTHS:  Holds his ground at the point of attack, squaring his frame and bending his knees to absorb contact. Plays with excellent body control and engages well at the second level with the finishing attitude needed for the position. While not overpowering, Walsh is always looking for someone to block and rarely loses in one-on-one battles.

WEAKNESS: Isn't the strongest and doesn't consistently use his length properly. Squatty body type and might be a better center at the next level, but his tape is encouraging for his future. Because of his squatty body type and effectiveness in one-on-one battles in 2013, Walsh might be best suited to play center in the NFL.

9229349.jpeg

Please feel free to share your thoughts!!! Had to edit due to spacing. 

Edited by BleedBlack&Red

I was actually just thinking about this earlier this morning. A huge trade-up, I mean. Now while the majority will tell you that it would be silly for a team with only 4 meaningful picks to trade up over ten spots into the top 4, I think you knew that before you posted. Jack or Ramsey would both be game-changers for our defense, it's just a matter on if you think the juice is worth the squeeze giving up all those picks and if you think a player like Jack can put you over the top.

As far as criticisms go, however, I think there are a few changes that can be made after the Jack pick that will improve our team more.

I think Walsh is a wasted pick for lack of mobility. You basically punted the position by taking a player who has no chance of fitting.

I do like the Kearse pick, but it would be a year of development before he could start. If we could change the order of positions picked to land more immediate starters I think that's smarter. Taking a safety like Keanu Neal or Su'a Cravens in the second, a guard like McGovern later on, and then a high-upside DT at the end of the draft we might be better set up for success in 2016.

5 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

I was actually just thinking about this earlier this morning. A huge trade-up, I mean. Now while the majority will tell you that it would be silly for a team with only 4 meaningful picks to trade up over ten spots into the top 4, I think you knew that before you posted. Jack or Ramsey would both be game-changers for our defense, it's just a matter on if you think the juice is worth the squeeze giving up all those picks and if you think a player like Jack can put you over the top.

As far as criticisms go, however, I think there are a few changes that can be made after the Jack pick that will improve our team more.

I think Walsh is a wasted pick for lack of mobility. You basically punted the position by taking a player who has no chance of fitting.

I do like the Kearse pick, but it would be a year of development before he could start. If we could change the order of positions picked to land more immediate starters I think that's smarter. Taking a safety like Keanu Neal or Su'a Cravens in the second, a guard like McGovern later on, and then a high-upside DT at the end of the draft we might be better set up for success in 2016.

Yeah Jack is my cup of tea. Whats your take on Hargrave? I am really impressed with the kid on tape. I understand your comment on Walsh and his mobility. I don't follow Iowa at all but after going through the OGs that should be available in the 7th he stood out to me because of his consistency getting to the 2nd level. One thing to note neither Neal or Cravens will be there in the 3rd, in this mock I lose my 2nd rounder in the Jack trade. 

11 minutes ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

Yeah Jack is my cup of tea. Whats your take on Hargrave? I am really impressed with the kid on tape. I understand your comment on Walsh and his mobility. I don't follow Iowa at all but after going through the OGs that should be available in the 7th he stood out to me because of his consistency getting to the 2nd level. One thing to note neither Neal or Cravens will be there in the 3rd, in this mock I lose my 2nd rounder in the Jack trade. 

Sorry, I tend to lose out on the details when replying on my phone. I haven't looked into the DTs this year all that much, honestly. I think we have enough talent and versatility on the defensive line to get by this year as long as we stay healthy so I put my attention on other position groups. If Austin Hooper, Karl Joseph, or Jaylon Smith make it to that pick I'd jump on them before I would any of the DT's in that range (Hargrave, Ward, Washington, etc.) 

Ive always been a Babs fan, I still have hope for Hageman, and I think Mbu is criminally underrated. I can walk away from this draft without another DT and be fine even though it's a good draft class for them. I'm sure there will be some good ones left later on and I think other positions could use a more immediate injection of talent.

Eh. Im not sure Id do this for a LB. 

I would only do it for a DE/QB because the amount those players are getting paid per production is astronomical. Two firsts for a stud pass rusher is probably a better allocation of your resources than 18 million bucks. Same thing with QB. 

Unfortunate thing about top 10 DEs though is the bust rate. 

However Jack might be worth two 1sts or a 1st,2nd, 3rd between 2016/2017. 

With all of that said 2 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th is a RIDICULOUS amount to trade. 

4 minutes ago, .WORzone said:

I would only do it for a DE/QB because the amount those players are getting paid per production is astronomical. Two firsts for a stud pass rusher is probably a better allocation of your resources than 18 million bucks. Same thing with QB. 

With all of that said 2 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th is a RIDICULOUS amount to trade. 

Its all about the points man. You wanna be plus 100 when you are making these trades. I see what you mean about the DE/QB aspect but Lavonte David and Luke Kuechly will change that soon. Im doing another mock with us sitting at 17 and Ill do my final right before the draft with a trade back scenario. 

Just now, BleedBlack&Red said:

Its all about the points man. You wanna be plus 100 when you are making these trades. I see what you mean about the DE/QB aspect but Lavonte David and Luke Kuechly will change that soon. Im doing another mock with us sitting at 17 and Ill do my final right before the draft with a trade back scenario. 

But David and Kuechly are the superstars of the position. You can still get a top 10 guy like Trevathan for a price that matches their production. 

The DE market is just ridiculous. Malik Jackson and Olivier Vernon are maybe top 25 pass rushers and they got paid like world beaters on the open market. Its almost impossible now to get a young pass rusher via free agency without giving them 10% of your cap. 

Something I think might make a Jack trade INCREDIBLY interesting would be the drafting of Jaylon Smith in the 3rd if you think he isnt permanently damaged. Say you give up next years 1st for Jack, getting Jaylon in the 3rd makes up for that lost 1st if he returns to form. 

11 minutes ago, .WORzone said:

But David and Kuechly are the superstars of the position. You can still get a top 10 guy like Trevathan for a price that matches their production. 

The DE market is just ridiculous. Malik Jackson and Olivier Vernon are maybe top 25 pass rushers and they got paid like world beaters on the open market. Its almost impossible now to get a young pass rusher via free agency without giving them 10% of your cap. 

Something I think might make a Jack trade INCREDIBLY interesting would be the drafting of Jaylon Smith in the 3rd if you think he isnt permanently damaged. Say you give up next years 1st for Jack, getting Jaylon in the 3rd makes up for that lost 1st if he returns to form. 

Good point about Jaylon.

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM, .WORzone said:

He has his medical check Friday. Depends on that nerve damage, his range is from next year to never will play. Never will would be detrimental.

On 4/11/2016 at 6:50 PM, WORilla said:

I agree, as much as I like Jack, if we trade up all the way to 4, it better be for Buckner or Bosa.

37 minutes ago, Romfal said:

I agree, as much as I like Jack, if we trade up all the way to 4, it better be for Buckner or Bosa.

I really don't get what everyone sees in Bosa. I understand Buckner, we'll see though. I have 2 more mocks to do. A no trade mock and a trade down. What do you think about the rest of this one?

57 minutes ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

I really don't get what everyone sees in Bosa. I understand Buckner, we'll see though. I have 2 more mocks to do. A no trade mock and a trade down. What do you think about the rest of this one?

I don't like Kearse. Do not see him as the physical safety we need. I like hargraves , might not be there in the 3rd, seems a lot of teams are high on him.