My first mock of the season

Something simple I decided to put together on this cool Saturday afternoon. 

We trade down with NYJ from 17 to 20 for an extra 4th round pick. They make the deal to move ahead of Indianapolis for Jack Cocklin to replace the recently retired(and all time great name) D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

1. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

This kid is a future monster that would fill the biggest void we currently have on our team, which is a dominant inside presence. Our defense is predicated upon stopping the run first, and his combination of strength and motor would be able to plug the line at a level comparable to Soliai, who anchored the #1 run D through the first half of the season before injuries took their toll. On the flipside, he possesses great quickness for a DT and could become a pass rushing force as well. I would alternate him and Hageman between 1T(2 gap stuffer) and 3T(1 gap penetrator) and hopefully generate enough pressure to collapse the pocket.

2. Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

hi-res-5af93fa46c40de925fe557988891cdee_

This is pending the medical recheck that is scheduled to take place next weekend. As long as they say that his leg doesn't need to be amputated, I take him here and I don't look back. The reason why he was at least a top-10 pick before his injury is because he has the natural instincts needed at the position to become a star. Those will not be undone by this injury. Even if he is robbed of some athleticism, he will still be more than capable of becoming a fixture in this defense for years to come. The same people who say he won't be able to contribute this season are the same people who say we're not winning the SB this year, so that's virtually irrelevant to me. I fully believe that 31 NFL teams will look stupid in a few years for passing on this guy, and I don't want us to be one of them.

3. Karl Joseph, SS, West Virginia

Joseph-Main-9715.jpg

This kid is Bob Sanders Jr. Aside from the injuries, Sanders was one of the most present safeties I ever saw play in his time, and I see the same thing out of Joseph. Despite the size, his physicality will make a major difference to our defense, and that is what will matter the most. His versatility will also allow for different coverages that other SS prospects may not be capable of. He can also act as insurance in case Allen doesn't take that next step next year, as we can pair Joseph up with another SS and move him into the FS spot if necessary.

4a. Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri

Connor-McGovern_20150919_fbvsUConn_008.0

Here we get a guy who can definitely lock down an OG spot this year and for years to come. He's one of the strongest guys in the draft, and has the quickness necessary to move in our ZBS.  Just plug and play.

4b. Travis Feeney, OLB, Washington

490196554-linebacker-travis-feeney-of-th

Feeney is not far away from Cravens as a hybrid SS/Will LB prospect to me. What makes him possibly more intriguing to me is that he's a bigger, better athlete who was used more as an edge player. While Cravens was able to make more plays in the secondary, Feeney's experience on the edge could create exponential growth in our system, which will keep him clean from blocks and allow him to run around and make plays. 

7. Devon Cajuste, WR/TE, Stanford

497199478-devon-cajuste-of-the-stanford-

Cujuste was a WR at Stanford, and was relatively impressive to me as a #1 WR in a running offense where his was more of a third option behind McCaffrey and the TEs, securing big catches when he was targeted. He was an active blocker on the outside, and I think he handles that well enough to transition to a move TE position for us. His 3-cone drill time was the best of any receiver at the combine, and that along with his size and hands should lead to him being a dangerous big slot target. 

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I can't get with going with a 1st rounder that's only going to go 30% of snaps.I think we can something of that nature lateron in the 3rd or 4th round.

Double dipping at LBer looks pretty appealing though just I'd get it done sooner rather than later.

Would you say the same if it was a DE? I think Billings' ability and versatility could have him lead our DTs in snaps from day 1.

13 minutes ago, The Real Tony G. said:

Would you say the same if it was a DE? I think Billings' ability and versatility could have him lead our DTs in snaps from day 1.

Honestly no at this stage I love your Jaylon Smith pick at 50 but I'm on the Lee train  if we double dip here I think we can do a massive clean out next season with regards to LBers and build around Lee & Smith going foward.

Much like the double down in CB's a few years back I'm totally onboard doing this again we need the capt. On defense I see Jaylon Smith if healthy as that guy.

Karl Joseph I think is really optimistic in the 3rd round,me I'm a Keanu Neal guy but I could live with the Joseph pick.

McGovern in the 4th looks feasible aswell I'd also lookTE here probably Higbee in this scenario.

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Honestly no at this stage I love your Jaylon Smith pick at 50 but I'm on the Lee train at 17 if we double dip here I think we can do a massive clean out next season with regards to LBers and build around Lee & Smith going foward.

Much like the double down in CB's a few years back I'm totally onboard doing this again we need the capt. On defense I see Jaylon Smith if healthy as that guy.

I wouldn't mind Lee and Smith either. Lee is my 2nd pick for 17 behind Billings.

I could get behind that draft I hope Feeney will make it that far. There are a couple of teams I could see taking him in the 3rd like the Seahawks or Vikings. I usually put him in the 3rd in my mocks but it is not unreasonable to think he would be there in the 4th. I do like Jones more than Billings but I like what you have done with it. I just see Jones as a 4 down player more than I do Billings. Cajuste will be a good player I think. He may not be a star but I think he will do a bit to help a team specifically in the red zone. My only real problem with the draft is Smith and the fact I am impatient. Without a doubt he is a great player and the 2nd is a good value if he can return to 100%.

Edited by Sobeit

Sweet mock op.  That's the beauty of the Billings pick.  He can man the nose or anywhere along the interior of our Dline and offer more than just space eating and run stopping.

It's not often you can use a guy at the nose to replace a guy like Soliai and also move him around.  He's way more than the 30% of our snaps type of pick.  

3 hours ago, Romfal said:

Karl Joseph will go in the first 45 picks or so. I don't know why people keep mocking him in the 3rd round. 

KJ is one of my favorite players in this draft but, I can see why CBS and others have him projected later. His play is top 45 however some of the other top guys have the size to tempt teams and KJ is still rehabbing his injury and many teams won't be comfortable with just guessing he's going to fully return to his pre-injury form.