Jump to content

D'Brickashaw Ferguson retires


Recommended Posts

Tatf, blah blah blah. Now that's out of the way. I'm sure the cliche response from this site will be we will never have to worry about that from falcon players but this is actually a pretty disturbing trend. I saw that Calvin Johnson made his decision because he just wasn't considered the best anymore. If true then I can understand that, it's not like he had anything left to prove. 

 

I wonder if we will witness one of these early/out of the blue retirements from any of the Falcons players within the next few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Tatf, blah blah blah. Now that's out of the way. I'm sure the cliche response from this site will be we will never have to worry about that from falcon players but this is actually a pretty disturbing trend. I saw that Calvin Johnson made his decision because he just wasn't considered the best anymore. If true then I can understand that, it's not like he had anything left to prove. 

 

I wonder if we will witness one of these early/out of the blue retirements from any of the Falcons players within the next few years. 

You mean the good ones like JJ, because we already kinda had one from Peria Jerry.

Anyway, if you're looking at it from a health and welfare perspective, it's not disturbing as it is understandable. With all the recent developments about CTE, players are more likely to think long and hard about their quality of life after football and make decisions accordingly, especially those that play the more physical positions in the trenches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

You mean the good ones like JJ, because we already kinda had one from Peria Jerry.

Anyway, if you're looking at it from a health and welfare perspective, it's not disturbing as it is understandable. With all the recent developments about CTE, players are more likely to think long and hard about their quality of life after football and make decisions accordingly, especially those that play the more physical positions in the trenches.

Yeah I'm talking about people who actually contribute. Not the ones that are injured every season. Also just read that Austin collie (yeah I know, a nobody) is retiring from the CFL  to research concussions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, falconidae said:

He made somewhere between 60-80 mil- signed a 35 mil contract as a rookie, extended for another 60 mil, left about 20 mil on the table to walk away. He's set his family up for generations and can still walk as he walks away. Can't blame him.

I agree, and it's not like the Jets are on the verge of going to a Superbowl anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, citsalp said:

I agree, and it's not like the Jets are on the verge of going to a Superbowl anytime soon.

You don't know what their near future holds. I mean the same can easily be said about the Falcons and other teams around the league but that doesn't have much to do with players retiring. Just sayin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Dudes got a boatload of money (presumably), has his health, and got to play the game he loves for ten years. Why wouldn't you walk away? 

 

 

some would say a ring, but its the jets, he knows better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

He made somewhere between 60-80 mil- signed a 35 mil contract as a rookie, extended for another 60 mil, left about 20 mil on the table to walk away. He's set his family up for generations and can still walk as he walks away. Can't blame him.

Yea he had a heck of a career- made tons of money and has his health. That's a life win in any pro athlete's mind. Sure he didn't get the ring, but to his family and friends he has nothing to prove to anyone. I wish him luck in his future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...