TRUUUUs First Mock (with trade)

TRUUUU

FIRST ROUND (17TH OVERALL)

Traded to the Bengals for their 1st round (24th overall), 3rd round (87th overall) and 5th round (161st overall)

NEW FIRST ROUND PICK (24TH OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: KARL JOSEPH, SAFETY, WEST VIRGINIA  

Ironically, Joseph's play style of a complete lack of respect for his own body was not the reason he missed more than half of his senior season. He injured his knee in a non-contact practice drill, putting a stop to his best year to date, where he led the FBS in interceptions (five) after four weeks. Joseph flies into the backfield and attacks receivers in space like few others in this draft class, as he showed during his first-team All-Big 12 junior campaign (92 stops, 4.5 for loss, one interception, three pass breakups, three forced fumbles.) Joseph started every game as a freshman (team defensive player of the year with 104 tackles, seven for loss, two interceptions, three forced fumbles) and sophomore (68 tackles, three for loss, one interception), as well, earning honorable mention all-conference recognition each season.

SECOND ROUND (50TH OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: SHELDON DAY, DEFENSIVE TACKLE/DEFENSIVE END, NOTRE DAME

Day plays stronger than his measurements might indicate. Heady and hustling, he also holds his ground against double teams and may have the best hands of any lineman in the draft. Day played inside and outside for the Irish, regularly making plays in the backfield in 2015 (15.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, 13 quarterback hurries) on his way to USA Today first-team All-American honors. The three-year starter nearly matched his career tackle for loss total (16.5) and exceeded his sack total (3.5) despite being the focus of opposing offenses.

THIRD ROUND (81ST OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: JOSHUA PERRY, LINEBACKER, OHIO STATE

Perry gained respect from Big Ten coaches for his play as a senior, garnering first team All-Big Ten notice with 105 tackles, 7.5 for loss and three sacks. He also received honors for his leadership and character, being named an all-state AFCA All-Good Works Team member, as well as a finalist for the Lott IMPACT, Senior CLASS Award, and the Wuerffel Trophy. The Buckeyes' leading tackler in 2014 (124, 8.5 for loss, three sacks) earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors in his second year as a starter (he had 64 tackles, two for loss the previous year). Though not a highly recruited player like many on head coach Urban Meyer's squad, Perry's list of national honors speaks volumes about his willingness to do what it takes to get the job done.

THIRD ROUND (87TH OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: AUSTIN HOOPER, TIGHT END, STANFORD

Stanford has become "Tight End U" over the past few years, with former Cardinal contributors Zach Ertz, Levine Tiololo, Coby Fleener and Jim Dray enjoying good NFL careers. Hooper's next in line, leaving for the pros after his redshirt sophomore season. His father actually played at San Diego State, but his uncle, Greg, suited up for Stanford as a fullback from 1979-1982. Those genes were obvious during his two years on the field, first as a redshirt freshman in 2014 where he earned Freshman All-American and second-team All-Pac-12 honors (40-499, two scores). He helped Stanford win a conference championship in his second season, garnering several honors (Mackey Award finalist, third-team AP All-American, first-team All-Pac-12) by catching 34 passes for 438 yards and six touchdowns.

FOUTH ROUND (115TH OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: JOSHUA GARNETT, GUARD, STANFORD

Garnett, the son of an NFL nose tackle (Scott Garnett), played in the shadow of other NFL-ready Stanford linemen like 2015 first-round pick Andrus Peat before his senior year. He emerged from that shadow this fall, however, winning numerous All-American honors and the Outland Trophy as the nations top interior lineman. His combination of size (6-5, 325) and movement dropped jaws around college football -- especially when he takes an occasional turn as an H-back. Add intelligence and a nasty streak, and Garnetts got everything an offensive line coach would want to be part of his group.

FIFTH ROUND (161ST OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: ROBERTO AGUAYO, KICKER, FLORIDA STATE

Aguayo is one of the top kickers in college football history and was a three-time First-Team All-American. He connected on 81 percent, 90 percent, and 96 percent of his field goal attempts over the past three seasons, respectively. Aguayo has a strong leg and never missed an extra point over three years. With the change of the NFL's extra point rules, Aguayo is even more valuable. 

SEVENTH ROUND (238TH OVERALL)

FALCONS SELECT: CALEB BENENOCH, OFFENSIVE TACKLE, UCLA

Benenoch is a tall, athletic player with positional versatility. He can play guard or tackle, but needs to hit the weights if he wants to excel at either in the NFL. He shoes good length and lateral agility when firing off the line or blocking on the move. He plays with good balance and natural knee bend. Benenoch also plays with an edge that will help him transition to the NFL game.

11 minutes ago, AgapeElement said:

Literally only 1 player I like in the draft.  I do like the trade down, but you don't touch that safety that high, way too many quality players, he'll be there later on.  If he's your target, trade down again.

I really like him as our box safety and don't want to gamble that he makes it to the early 2nd round. Without his ACL injury I believe he would be a top 15 pick, I also like his attitude and what he'll bring to the locker room in the future.

Not a big fan of Joseph in our scheme. He mostly played deep midfield in college and he'd be in the box over 80% of the time for us. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't hate the Day pick but we don't really need a 3 tech.

Perry will almost definitely go top 50. Verrrry small chance he lasts to our 3rd rd pick. I like him as a player though.

Not a fan of Hooper. I prefer Higbee and Sandland.

Garnett is a horrible pick for us man. He's a gap/power scheme OG. We run zone. Not only that, but I'm seeing him as another one of those top 50 type players. He'll get picked up earlier by a power team.

Dig the trade and dig the Aguayo pick in the 5th. No opinion on the 7th rd tackle.

7 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Not a big fan of Joseph in our scheme. He mostly played deep midfield in college and he'd be in the box over 80% of the time for us. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't hate the Day pick but we don't really need a 3 tech.

Perry will almost definitely go top 50. Verrrry small chance he lasts to our 3rd rd pick. I like him as a player though.

Not a fan of Hooper. I prefer Higbee and Sandland.

Garnett is a horrible pick for us man. He's a gap/power scheme OG. We run zone. Not only that, but I'm seeing him as another one of those top 50 type players. He'll get picked up earlier by a power team.

Dig the trade and dig the Aguayo pick in the 5th. No opinion on the 7th rd tackle.

I think he would fit well as a box safety. He did play a lot of what would be the FS role for us in college but I think he would convert well. I would like our SS position to have good cover skills. Most importantly to me though is that he stands out in this class with an "alpha dog" personality that we desperately need on D, could make a huge impact. 

This is probably Babs last year and I think Day is a good long term replacement in that position and good value there. Also has flexibility to be a DE vs heavy sets.

Maybe Perry gone late 2nd/early 3rd but not that unlikely he's there.

Like the trade but would choose different players in every round except Aguayo in the 5th assuming he's still on the board. Been saying for a while that if we pass on him, we will regret it for many years. How many players can we draft this year with his skill and consistency who would affect as many game scores as he would?

Edited by BeRom

7 hours ago, TRUUUU said:

I think he would fit well as a box safety. He did play a lot of what would be the FS role for us in college but I think he would convert well. I would like our SS position to have good cover skills. Most importantly to me though is that he stands out in this class with an "alpha dog" personality that we desperately need on D, could make a huge impact. 

This is probably Babs last year and I think Day is a good long term replacement in that position and good value there. Also has flexibility to be a DE vs heavy sets.

Maybe Perry gone late 2nd/early 3rd but not that unlikely he's there.

even without Babs we still have Hageman and Jarrett, both of whom should probably be playing 3 tech