Could Robert Nkemdiche Fall To Us In Round 2?

Arkridge

Most mocks I've seen lately floating around have him falling out of the first round and some mid and even deep into the second round. The athletic potential is obviously there but a lot have cooled on him due to his various character concerns or the lack of production in his college career. He didn't really help his cause in his combine interviews when it seems he threw Laremy Tunsil under the bus during an interview. I think the there is a real possibility that he can be there for our 2nd round pick. If he is, do we take the risk and draft a guy like this? He reminds me a lot of Hageman in the fact that all the athletic potential is there. It's just a matter of if whoever drafts him can help him translate it onto the field. He and Hageman next from eachother could be absolutely nasty though if both reach that potential. 

yes, he absolutely could. At this point he is measurable and potential. His field production doesn't match his skill set, and he has character and work ethic concerns. He is the exact type of guy that could be primed for a draft day slide. Even at 50, I would need to see who is on the board before taking him.

You comparison to Hageman is a good one, but even Hageman showed more consistency on Saturdays. Being we have Hages who cant even solidify his spot as a sure fire starter, not sure I would want another guy who has just as much, or more of a chance to flame out.

29 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

yes, he absolutely could. At this point he is measurable and potential. His field production doesn't match his skill set, and he has character and work ethic concerns. He is the exact type of guy that could be primed for a draft day slide. Even at 50, I would need to see who is on the board before taking him.

You comparison to Hageman is a good one, but even Hageman showed more consistency on Saturdays. Being we have Hages who cant even solidify his spot as a sure fire starter, not sure I would want another guy who has just as much, or more of a chance to flame out.

I don't think people really understand his "lack of production" and think that he takes plays off or something. When I watch Nkemdiche I think he plays his a$$ off. It's just that he is a disruptor and not a finisher and thus doesn't get stats for what he does. Look at this play: 

ndemkiched.0.gif

He destroys the center but the only thing the stat sheet says in incompletion. I think he is like a svelte Haloti Ngata, who has never been about stats. I love Nkemdiche's tape. 

his tape is just as up and down as his stats. You have to see it all, not just highlight plays. not me, but EVERYONE is concerned with his lack of production and his consistency/ethic. All DT's affect the game much more than their stat line. I think the issue isn't that he is no good, just that he may never be as good as he could be.

Comparing to Hageman, just this year we seen games were he looked like he turned the corner and was becoming all pro. Then for the next two weeks he looked like a backup.

36 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Part of the bold is the fact that we don't really have a traditional "starter" set up. We run a pretty active rotation. Hageman actually played the second most snaps among the DTs on our roster...trailing only Babs. He outsnapped Soliai, Grady and Mbu. 

In fact, all of our DL players basically played between 350-550 snaps. Grady came in a little under that. But we don't run a defense that is focused on getting certain DL players ~85% of the snaps the way that other "starters" might get. 

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Part of the bold is the fact that we don't really have a traditional "starter" set up. We run a pretty active rotation. Hageman actually played the second most snaps among the DTs on our roster...trailing only Babs. He outsnapped Soliai, Grady and Mbu. 

In fact, all of our DL players basically played between 350-550 snaps. Grady came in a little under that. But we don't run a defense that is focused on getting certain DL players ~85% of the snaps the way that other "starters" might get. 

I hear you, I guess 'starter' isn't the right word.

Let me say he failed to separate himself from the pack in a performance sense, not just a snap count sense. He never consistently showed he could be the man. I haven't given up on him, as he has flashes that just wont let you do so. But, I think this year is a big year for him to take the next step, or his snaps may be going down in favor of Jarrett and/or a rookie.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

I hear you, I guess 'starter' isn't the right word.

Let me say he failed to separate himself from the pack in a performance sense, not just a snap count sense. He never consistently showed he could be the man. I haven't given up on him, as he has flashes that just wont let you do so. But, I think this year is a big year for him to take the next step, or his snaps may be going down in favor of Jarrett and/or a rookie.

I don't know man....I saw a lot of promise. I'd guess he becomes our snap leader at DT this year. Maybe along the DL in general. 

I think his career has a pretty clear upward trajectory. And year 3 is when a lot of DTs take that next step. I'm expecting some pretty big things from him this year. Not Kawann Short DPOY of the year stuff, but big stuff. 

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I don't know man....I saw a lot of promise. I'd guess he becomes our snap leader at DT this year. Maybe along the DL in general. 

I think his career has a pretty clear upward trajectory. And year 3 is when a lot of DTs take that next step. I'm expecting some pretty big things from him this year. Not Kawann Short DPOY of the year stuff, but big stuff. 

I agree his potential is off the charts. It is all between the ears. I sure hope he finds that fire and it clicks this year. Because if it does, K. Short is a darn fine comparison! Fingers crossed my man!

I just struggle to feel DT is set with his (Hages) inconsistencies, Jarrett being a 5th rounder with great potential, MBU being a UDFA with potential and Babs being 36, 'ya know? Then there is the whole leading the NFL in rushing TDs allowed thing, and that was with Soliai.

Back to the topic at hand, while I would be hopeful based on his potential if Nkemdiche is the pick, I would be weary with, as it adds another guy with 'risky potential' to our stable of hopefuls.

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

his tape is just as up and down as his stats. You have to see it all, not just highlight plays. not me, but EVERYONE is concerned with his lack of production and his consistency/ethic. All DT's affect the game much more than their stat line. I think the issue isn't that he is no good, just that he may never be as good as he could be.

Comparing to Hageman, just this year we seen games were he looked like he turned the corner and was becoming all pro. Then for the next two weeks he looked like a backup.

I've watched complete games. I think he plays hard. I'm not concerned if he's never as good as he could be. If he was as good as he could be, he'd be Ndamukong Suh and drafted #2 overall. The Falcons aren't drafting him #2 overall. They just need him to be better than whichever players are available at #17, #27, #37, or wherever they pick him. 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

I agree his potential is off the charts. It is all between the ears. I sure hope he finds that fire and it clicks this year. Because if it does, K. Short is a darn fine comparison! Fingers crossed my man!

I just struggle to feel DT is set with his (Hages) inconsistencies, Jarrett being a 5th rounder with great potential, MBU being a UDFA with potential and Babs being 36, 'ya know?

I think its a position that we can comfortably go either way on. If you've got a difference maker on your board when we're up (lets say Rankins/Billings) I think you can take him, feel like you're getting better and not feel like you're overloading. But if you come out of the draft without a DT, I think you're still in good shape. You'll get anothe rdecent year out of Babs, you're going to kick some of the DE guys inside for a lot of snaps and I think Hageman/Jarrett is one of the more promising young DT duos in the league. I understand the apprehension with Grady being a 5th rounder but a lot of ink has been spilled about how that didnt really make a lot of sense. Grady is going to end up being one of the great bargains of the 2015 draft. I just hope they avoid shoe-horning him into the nose on a fulltime basis. Let the kid cause havoc at the 3. 

Thats the one thing our DL depth chart really has in spades.....versatility. A lot of guys that can move along the line and do interesting things. 

Some won't let a scripted Hard Knocks thing on Hags go, they continue to ride his butt not taking into consideration the role the 2 DC had him to play. He has never been put in a position outside where he can become a Suh. He is to use his strenght and push, occupy. Play after play pushing NFL OL you would tire too. He is our only All Pro prospect on the DL. This is his 3rd year, this is the NFL Hags is alright. Stop riding on him

Yeah, he, Spence, and Conner Cook are the ones that we've been hearing the most about bombing their interviews. In all three cases, they're being reported to showing no accountability for their actions off the field, or their inability to play as well as they could on the field.

I really see that as being a big sticking point with this staff too. They're OK with adding those that have made mistakes, but they're going to want to believe that you're going to not just make them again, and that, when on that field, you'll be giving your all.

4 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I don't think people really understand his "lack of production" and think that he takes plays off or something. When I watch Nkemdiche I think he plays his a$$ off. It's just that he is a disruptor and not a finisher and thus doesn't get stats for what he does. Look at this play: 

ndemkiched.0.gif

He destroys the center but the only thing the stat sheet says in incompletion. I think he is like a svelte Haloti Ngata, who has never been about stats. I love Nkemdiche's tape. 

I like a lot of it. But he does disappear from time to time. And the off-field stuff is very real. 

Being a disruptor is a good thing but you've gotta finish plays too. The difference between being a disruptor and being a finisher is something like the difference between Geno Atkins and Babs. Babs has always generated disruption...but holy **** has left a ton of plays on the field. 

I wouldnt hate Nkemdiche in the 2nd. He fits a lot of what we want to do....and could even serve as a 4-3 base end if we wanted. I'm just not sure I love the pick. 

I love all the comparisons to Hageman and can absolutely see them as well! I do think if he is there at #50 we take him unless TD and Quinn surprise everyone and take a guard or safety in the first-then I see linebacker as still being too big a need to pass on until the third in my opinion

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

Yeah, he, Spence, and Conner Cook are the ones that we've been hearing the most about bombing their interviews. In all three cases, they're being reported to showing no accountability for their actions off the field, or their inability to play as well as they could on the field.

I really see that as being a big sticking point with this staff too. They're OK with adding those that have made mistakes, but they're going to want to believe that you're going to not just make them again, and that, when on that field, you'll be giving your all.

Spence has been all but forgotten about. I'd be ecstatic if he or Nkemdiche were to fall to 50. I'm also warming up to Ragland because although he may not possess the speed and coverage ability a lot are looking for he's an incredibly solid upgrade from Worillow and an instant impact starter where as I'm not so sure someone like Darron Lee will be ready to start at the WILL on Day 1.

16 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

Spence has been all but forgotten about. I'd be ecstatic if he or Nkemdiche were to fall to 50. I'm also warming up to Ragland because although he may not possess the speed and coverage ability a lot are looking for he's an incredibly solid upgrade from Worillow and an instant impact starter where as I'm not so sure someone like Darron Lee will be ready to start at the WILL on Day 1.

Honestly think Lee would be better at SS than WLB. 

Just now, Bobby.Digital said:

Honestly think Lee would be better at SS than WLB. 

Love his speed and aggressiveness but I don't like how he avoids contact and attempts to just go around blocks. He's got potential but he's no where near a sure thing and our defense needs someone who can move in day 1 and be a starter. One of the only LBs in the draft class that can do that is Ragland. He's an instant upgrade from Worillow.