Would you take Lawson over Lee? [Poll]

quotemokc

Lawson or Lee?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take?

• Shaq Lawson
    • Darron Lee

By far the majority of mocks I have read have us taking Lee at 17 but interestingly, Lawson is a strong 2nd to be taken by us at 17.

Whilst I don`t believe that Lawson will still be available to us at 17, if he is still there along with Lee it could create quite a quandry for us.

Not factoring in every other player available, if you had to choose between Lee or Lawson at 17 who would you take?

(No trade downs please)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawson will be there at our pick.  Not too many guys his size become world class DE's in the NFL.  That's typically a job for the 6'6-6'8 crowd out there.  There are always exceptions, but those guys tend to not get overshadowed by the other guy playing the same position on their team in the big game.

Edited by pr0d16y

Give me Lee... Dude is a playmaker in every sense of the word. Look at last year's national championship. All over the field. Plus he's a PHENOMENAL Blitzer up the middle, and has the athleticism of a full safety. Sideline to sideline speed and he put on 12 pounds and ran a 4.47 at the combine.

Get this man on our squad.

4 minutes ago, Macintez said:

Give me Lee... Dude is a playmaker in every sense of the word. Look at last year's national championship. All over the field. Plus he's a PHENOMENAL Blitzer up the middle, and has the athleticism of a full safety. Sideline to sideline speed and he put on 12 pounds and ran a 4.47 at the combine.

Question...you don't worry about him being able to take on and shed blocks? Or his tackling? I get it he can cover in man, but what else?

1 hour ago, pr0d16y said:

Lawson will be there at our pick.  Not too many guys his size become world class DE's in the NFL.  That's typically a job for the 6'6-6'8 crowd out there.  There are always exceptions, but those guys tend to not get overshadowed by the other guy playing the same position on their team in the big game.

Simply not true on your Heights - 6'6"-6'8"?  You totally made that up.  The average 4-3 DE probably checks in between 6'3"-6'4".  While Lawson is 6'2" and change, he is not that much shorter than the average pass rusher.

17 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Question...you don't worry about him being able to take on and shed blocks? Or his tackling? I get it he can cover in man, but what else?

What does Lawson have. He is short and not athletic enough to be a full time edge rusher and he will be better suited to rush from the inside. We have already got a bunch of those guys on the roster. If we were going that route Bullard will make the better pro. We wont draft that early though if we draft it at all.

58 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The average 4-3 DE probably checks in between 6'3"-6'4".

That's probably true. But the average DE is also not worth a first round pick. I'm not saying someone who is 6'2" can't play DE at a pro bowl level, but I am saying that having extra height/length is a definite advantage in that position.

But then again, as far as pure pass rushing goes, Von Miller does just fine at 6'3". That's from a 3-4 base defense, but there are configurations and sub packages in a 4-3 that can create the same basic alignments. 

edit: No, I'm not comparing Lawson's talent to Von's. Simply pointing out that height isn't required for effective pass rushing. 

Edited by GTFalcon25

1 hour ago, Macintez said:

What about this year? He missed as many tackles as he made!

nope. while it isn't popular opinion, I think Lawson will be good, but not great. Just a solid LDE. Lee on the other hand has potential to be a game changer. He has pass rush ability, covers WRs in the slot even. He would be a good WLB, may even have MLB potential in this system.

3 hours ago, Macintez said:

Yes, he'll be fast enough to run down Cam and Jameis, after they run over him .   I chose Shaq

TOPICAL:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/04/nfl-draft-scouting-report-shaq-lawson-clemson

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
Height: 6' 3" Weight: 269

Bio: It took Lawson some time to become a true starter on Clemson’s defensive line, but that speaks more to how stacked that line is than anything else. The 2015 season was his first as a down-to-down concern for opposing offenses, and he made the most of it with 35 solo tackles, 12.5 sacks, and an eye-popping 24.5 tackles for loss. He started just one game in ’14, but still amassed 16 solo tackles, 3.5 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss, and he racked up 16 solo tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and four sacks in ’13. That sack total tied William Perry and Ricky Sapp for the most in Clemson history for a first-year freshman.

Then again, Lawson shouldered heavy expectations coming into Clemson from Hargrave Military Academy after a very successful stint at D.W. Daniel High in South Carolina. He was a major factor in Clemson’s 2015 season, when the Tigers came within one game of a BCS championship, and even in that final loss to Alabama, Lawson stood out with two sacks. And with a ton of good tape against some of the best blockers in the nation (including a fascinating battle with Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley that should be required viewing for any football fan), Lawson decided to forego his senior season and declare for the NFL.

“I bring a lot of different moves to the pass rush,” he said at the combine. “People say I’m mostly a power guy, I don’t see myself as just a power guy—I can spin, beat you off the edge, run past you, everything.”

That’s true to a degree, but Lawson’s power and versatility will make him a prized prospect. He’ll most likely join former teammate Vic Beasley, who was selected with the eighth overall pick in 2015, as a high first-round talent.

Strengths: Generates power and push out of two- and three-point stances. Can play outside and at five-tech. At the snap, Lawson consistently uses his hands and arms. Has a nice spin move that he uses to shoot up in the pocket, past blockers to their inside shoulder. Very strong upper body for his size—when he gets low off the snap, Lawson can tie up tackles and guards, bending them back and getting a good push. Challenges tackles through the arc. An aggressive, controlled run defender who eyes gaps skillfully and closes to the ballcarrier quickly. Can slip gaps against slide protection. Very persistent in the backfield: will work through multiple blocks and is able to keep his eyes on the ball. Uses his strength effectively against double teams. Has the feet and backpedal to work in short coverage, sticking with tight ends on crossing routes and running backs on screens. Occasionally uses a basic inside counter with an arm-over move to great effect. Does a nice job of mush-rushing at the line to keep mobile quarterbacks in check. Outstanding run defender who wrap-tackles quickly and ends plays in the backfield as well as any defender in this draft class. Closes to the quarterback in a flash. Displays the ability to punch blockers out of the way and move past them to the quarterback.Sideline-to-sideline chase defender. Very hard to fool on fakes and quarterback motion—Lawson is highly aware, and that shows up on tape over and over again. Truly a scheme-versatile player.

Weaknesses: Lawson has edge potential in the NFL, but he’s not a traditional arc-bender; he doesn’t have the flexibility to dip-and-rip. Could stand to be more explosive out of the gate, as he’s often too hesitant with his first step. Leans into blocks too often when he has the strength to stack and shed. Has an occasional penchant for jumping quickly and lining up in the neutral zone to offset speed disadvantage. Tends to wear out in high-rep games. Lawson will need to develop more and better pass-rush moves. At this point, he’s got a couple of basic steps, but he’s not going to be able to bull his way through NFL tackles for the most part. He needs to be more opportunistic with his power, especially to and around the edge.

Conclusion: 4–3 teams may see Lawson as a pass-rushing and run-stopping end who can kick inside to tackle on passing downs—that’s a more frequent conceit in the NFL these days, and Lawson certainly has the strength to pull that off. For 3–4 and hybrid base teams, he has a legitimate shot as disrupting everywhere from the tackle’s outside shoulder to end and tackle in some situations. In many ways, he projects well as a prototype of the modern multi-gap defensive lineman who can do a lot of different things to a fairly high level. Some may downgrade Lawson because he isn’t an obvious pass rusher, but he has the potential, with a few obvious technique fixes and a greater sense of urgency, to be an asset all along the line, in coverage and in advanced front concepts. With his on-field power and diagnostic skills, he’s got a strong head start.

Pro Comparison: Derrick Morgan, Titans (first round, 2010, Georgia Tech)

I think Lawson is a fine pick. He plays the run well and seems to have pass-rush potential. However, the article listed above (which is more positive than some others I've read) even says that his rush moves might not transition as well and that he will have to learn more moves. So worst case scenario he ends up being similar to Shelby or Upshaw and best case scenario he ends up being Shelby with Clayborn's pass rush. Don't get me wrong, there's value there, but we already have those players on our roster. What we don't have is a WLB with great coverage skills or a NT that can both stuff the run and collapse the pocket. So IMO, Billings or Lee would bring more immediate value to our team. I'd prefer Billings personally if he's there.

Edited by dfsutton

With the moves we have made this off season I'm going Lee here while not the most popular pick I believe the LBing position needs more reinforcing than what the DE position needs.

Fortunately for us with a full load of draft picks next year and a better class of rushers coming out next year I'd go with what we have and go get it next year.

This year for me the biggest hole's were interior o-line and protecting the middle of the field if we can get those 2 area's soughted the team will improve.

9 hours ago, pr0d16y said:

In 2015, there was one 6'6"-6'8" defensive end in the top ten defensive end leaders  for sacks.  It was Carlos Dunlap and he barely made the the height at 6'6"

Edited by wuskillzz

9 hours ago, Macintez said:

Probably the same way I can look at the Michigan State game and be disgusted.

If we get him, then I hope that Michigan State game where everyone is bigger than him is not how it will be in the NFL. I just have a hard time thinking like that when that Michigan State team is one of the closest resemblance to an NFL team.

As opposed to playing all over the field against Oregon who is the complete opposite. What type of team will we see more is the question I have?