SBNation Mock: Pass rusher Shaq Lawson headed to Atlanta Falcons

Sponge

Atlanta's pass rush is a wreck, but they get some relief courtesy of the SB Nation NFL writers mock draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2016/4/1/11342076/2016-nfl-mock-draft-shaq-lawson-atlanta-falcons

Even after drafting Vic Beasley in the first round of last year's draft, the Atlanta Falcons still need to address the pass rush. The Falcons were last in the NFL last season in sacks, and haven't done enough to fix that issue this offseason. There's where this draft comes into play. Pass rushers like Leonard Floyd of Georgia and Kevin Dodd of Clemson are still available in this scenario.

Instead of Dodd, Dave Choate of The Falcoholic goes with another Clemson player with this choice.

17. Falcons: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Choate: The Falcons are starved for pass rushers, as they have been for years, and they need more power, physicality, and effort on their defense. Shaq Lawson should immediately be one of the team’s better pass rushers even as he refines his technique at the pro level and should give the Falcons another potent run stuffer for an improving defensive line.

The team has done an admirable job of adding useful defensive ends, from Derrick Shelby to 2015 Falcon Adrian Clayborn to Courtney Upshaw, who should kick from linebacker to end at times for Atlanta in 2016. What they need is a long-term solution, though, and a player they can pair with Vic Beasley, and I’m hopeful they’ll find that guy in Beasley’s former Clemson teammate.

Analysis: When this mock was playing out behind the scenes, my choice would have been between Lawson and Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee. But considering Atlanta's issues getting after the quarterback, Lawson makes sense.

The Falcons are starved for pass rushers, as they have been for years, and they need more power, physicality, and effort on their defense.

If that is what they are looking for WTH are the mocking Lawson to us? They would have been better off mocking us Bullard if that is what they were looking for.

1 minute ago, Sobeit said:

The Falcons are starved for pass rushers, as they have been for years, and they need more power, physicality, and effort on their defense.

If that is what they are looking for WTH are the mocking Lawson to us? They would have been better off mocking us Bullard if that is what they were looking for.

Is that a joke? Bullard can't touch Lawson. 

1 hour ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Is that a joke? Bullard can't touch Lawson. 

Lawson will not be as good a pro as  Bullard if they both land in ideal locations. When I talk about ideal our defense would be ideal for both of them because they both would get snaps at base end and kick inside on 3rd down. If that was the case Bullard is the more physical player and better rusher from the inside plus he has a motor that never stops. Atlas I do not think we draft either one of them because we already have players here that can fill those roles pretty well. We need a nose that can collapse a pocket more than we need another base end.

Edited by Sobeit

Lawson isn't that great of an athlete. I do like most else about him, just not for us.

The sheer number of stat-stuffing pass-rushers Clemson has been producing is uncanny. It causes me to question how much scheme plays a role, similar to what has been happening in Missouri. I still like the Beasley pick, because he has the physical make-up to succeed in many schemes.

Give me Ogbah over Lawson.

Last two drafts I was able to figure out who our 1st pick will be. Stumped this year so far. Billings looks like the guy to me this year. If he has to be doubled on every play then even half azzed line backers are going to be free to rush the QB. Billings and an instinctive inside linebacker like Wright would be a huge upgrade. Add in a serious SS and we have a solid defense. Higby should be there in the fourth as he didn't run or jump at his pro day. If we don't want him in the fourth then take OG like Seumuole.

The question is would you rather have Lawson, Lee, or Floyd? Because our pick will be one of the three. 

@17 - Lawson may or may not be there.

@17 - Lee will be there.

@17 - Floyd will be there but can be had @ 23-25 in a trade back (gain extra 3rd rd pick).