Romfal's #3 Mock

Romfal

This will likely be the only Mock where I do not take Darron Lee in the 1st, this Mock is also based loosely on the results I had as the IMD Falcons GM this year, which can be found here: 

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4039537-2016-imd-team-profile-page/?do=findComment&comment=9779313

In the scenario above, both Lawson and Lee were gone at #17.

Round 1: Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor

980x.jpg

1 Tech is right now is likely the biggest hole on defense outside WLB/MLB, so we put Billings in there day 1 to shore up the middle.

STRENGTHS

Elite power with a weight­lifting background. Generates booming power from hip explosion and when his leverage is on point, he can be menacing. Moved from offensive line to defensive line in college and is getting better by leaps and bounds each year. Drops his pad level even lower when splitting double teams and charging through gaps. Uses violent, powerful swats and slaps to free of opposing hand placement. Instant reaction time makes it difficult to cross his face. Gets arm extension into blocker and stays clean as he pursues laterally. Ridiculous closing burst to the sideline for a big man. Dominates single blocks and is a sure­fire tackler when he gets hands on a running back. Improving pass rusher with an effective bull­ rush.

Round 2: Deion Jones, OLB, LSU

maxresdefault.jpg

Athletic, agressive linebacker with room to grow, great sideline to sideline speed and ability to cover or blitz.

STRENGTHS

High-twitch, well-muscled athlete with tapered waist and powerful trunk. Quick lateral slide from gap-to-gap mirroring running back. Speed to chase from sideline to sideline. Accelerates off his spot and into his target preferring to wrap up and drive hips through the tackle. Brings pop behind his pads. Trustworthy. Handles his run fits and isnt looking to be a hero. Bouncy feet enable sudden change of direction. Willing to step into hole and deliver a blow to pulling guards or iso ­blocks. Has strength at point of attack to squeeze the edge against tight ends. Able to defend passes or pick them off in coverage. Special teams demon on cover teams. Maintained focus and team-­first attitude despite being unable to crack starting lineup until his senior season.

Round 3: Miles Killebrew, SS, Southern Utah

usa-today-9107744.0.jpg

Box safety that is not scared of contact. Plays with a violent demeanor and is exactly what coach Quinn is looking for at the position. 

STRENGTHS

Tightly bundled muscle hammer with a compact frame and the thighs of a track sprinter. World-class form tackler with bad intentions behind his strikes. Patient and willing to wait until he's in proper range before exploding with everything he has into his victim. Confident around the line of scrimmage and uses aggressive hands to keep himself clean. Will not flinch in the face of contact and has the frame to be considered as a hybrid linebacker on the pro level. Relied upon to line secondary up and get defense situated.

Round 4: Scooby Wright, MLB, Arizona

hi-res-1b00cc7f709e25d193ab9bd52dd8516b_

Instinctive linebacker with great leadership and production. Some athletic limitations, but a great value pick to shore up the middle in the 4th round.

STRENGTHS

Possesses elite instincts. Appears to head in direction of the play like he knows the play call. Extremely active and always on the balls of his feet and ready to hunt. Plays with an insane amount of competitive fire. Flows quickly to point with downhill action and looking to disrupt. Is often able to force cutbacks or alter the running backs track. Can time snaps and shoot gaps making him a dangerous blitzer. His 2014 season, which included 163 tackles, 29 tackles for losses, 14 sacks and six forced fumbles, is widely considered the most productive for a linebacker in college football history. Explodes with hips into tackles and finishes with his feet. Play speed is faster than timed speed thanks to combination of instincts and burst to the ball. Shows plus lateral agility with ability to engage in, shed, or beat the block.

Round 7: Joe Thuney, OG, NC State

Thuney.1280.jpg?w=620&h=413&fit=max

Athletic Guard prospect that can come in and compete for a backup job and potentially push Person for a starting role. 

STRENGTHS

All-­ACC first-team selection in 2015. Doesn’t check all of the physical boxes scouts want, but his tasks get accomplished. Accurate initial engagement as run blocker, allowing him to sustain blocks longer and widen running lanes. Has played every position along the offensive line. Sharp and can process assignment changes quickly against run stunts. Sees twists and comes off of first blocks instantly to catch up with twisting rusher. Shows reactive athleticism to make quick counter step inside when needed.

Depth:

QB - Ryan, Schaub, Renfree, Simms

RB - Freeman, Coleman, Ward, Johnson

FB - Dimarco

WR- Julio, Sanu, Hardy, Hester, Williams, Weems, Robinson

TE - Tamme, Toilolo, Tialavea, Gardner

LT - Matthews, Harris

LG - Levitre, Garland, Rahrig

C - Mack, Stone

RG - Person, Thuney

RT - Schraeder, Compton

DE - Beasley, ClaybornStarr

DT - Hagemann, Jerrett, Babs

NT - Billings,  Mbu

DE - Shelby, Clayborn, Tyson Jackson, Goodman

SLB - Reed, Upshaw

ILB - Scooby WrightWorrilow, Spoon, Reynolds

WLB - Jones, Spoon, Wheeler

CB - Trufant, Alford, Collins, King, Dyke

SS - KillebrewIshmael, Godfrey, Parms

FS - Allen, Therezie

Mock #2 can be found here and Mock #1 is linked in that thread.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4040817-romfals-saturday-mock-2-this-offseason/#comment-9832054

Sorry Romfal not one of my favourites mate.

Billings & Jones are both getting over drafted for mine.

The first mentioned is a late 1st early 2nd round pick and I would'nt like Jones till the end of 2nd early 3rd round.

I'd take Lee > Jones everyone keeps telling me what he can't do but I got a feeling with DQ as our coach he'll show case and put him in positions to succeed.

I believe Billings type NT can be found later on  in the draft if they haven't got it on the rooster already.I see they think Mbu & Jaret are options to man the nose or even a Hargrave option in the 3rd round is also there for us so I say no to Billings in the 1st.

Killebrew is an option here but I'm a Neal fan so I'd prefer the last mentioned.

4th round I'm looking OG I'm looking Westerman McGovern myself as I want to blood young pieces now while we have the experince of Alex Mack anchoring this line.

24 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The first mentioned is slate early 2nd round pick and I would'ntlike at Jones till the end of 2nd early 3rd round.

I'd take Lee > Jones everyone keeps telling me what he can't do but I got a feeling with DQ as our coach he'll show case and put hi positions to succeed.

I believe Billings type NT can be found lateron the draft if they haven't got it on the rooster already.Isee they think Mbu & Jaret are options to man the nose or even a Hargrave option in the 3rd round is also there for us so I say no to Billings in the 1st.

Killebrew is an option here but I'm a Neal fan so I'd prefer the last mentioned.

4th round I'm looking OG I'm looking Westerman McGovern myself as I want to blood young pieces now while we have the experince of Alex Mack anchoring this line.

Bro see I guess we just won't agree on this. You say what Lee "can" do truth is he can't tackle and although I would like to think he can get better at it I thought the same thing of William Moore and other players that just don't wrap up, take bad angles and aren't instinctive  and most of the times those issues remain. 

I just don't see much difference in Lee vs Jones...I wish I had that chart, they have almost the exact same measurables it's just Jones is faster and Lee is 10 pounds heavier, but the same way you're saying they can coach up a 2 yr LB they can coach up jones.

I honestly feel like if Jones was at osu with those other defensive prospects getting that recognition seeing as in how him and Lee have the same measurables this wouldn't even be a discussion.

im interested in knowing why you think Lee is soooooooooooo much better than jones???

37 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The first mentioned is a late 1st early 2nd round pick and I would'nt like Jones till the end of 2nd early 3rd round.

I'd take Lee > Jones everyone keeps telling me what he can't do but I got a feeling with DQ as our coach he'll show case and put him in positions to succeed.

I believe Billings type NT can be found later on  in the draft if they haven't got it on the rooster already.I see they think Mbu & Jaret are options to man the nose or even a Hargrave option in the 3rd round is also there for us so I say no to Billings in the 1st.

Like I said in the first two lines, This is a scenario where Lee and Lawson are not available at 17. Hargrave, like Grady Jarrett are better suited to play the 1 gap 3 tech, so I disagree on either of them being options to start at 1 Tech NT. Maybe someone like Austin Johnson who I had in my previous mock would be a solution in the 3rd if he drops.

I think those two guards will be long gone in the 4th, but we could look at someone like Joe Dahl. I would be fine with a Guard there.

I'd be fine with Neal in the 3rd, but it seems most everyone has him going in the top 60 or so picks.

I see a more urgent athlete in Lee than I do in Jones.

I have ummed and arghed over this and have wondered why Jones has only been rated anywhere from a mid 2nd to a mid 3rd round pick and not higher by most draft experts.

I can't understand why the experts have Lee so much more highly rated than Jones other than the rate his abilities a lot more than they do Jones.

I think Jones is your classic fav by a lot of the board.I personally think and it has been mentioned that the stuff that apparently Lee is weak at DQ can fix.

18 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I see a more urgent athlete in Lee than I do in Jones.

I have ummed and arghed over this and have wondered why Jones has only been rated anywhere from a mid 2nd to a mid 3rd round pick and not higher both most draft experts.

I can't understand why the experts have Lee so much more highly rated than Jones other than the rate his abilities a lot more than they do Jones.

I think Jones is your classic fav by a lot of the board.I personally think and it has been mentioned that the stuff that apparently Lee is weak at DQ can fix.

I guess only times will tell, if he works on the tackling I think he can be a stud especially if Quinn works with him on rushing the passer as well, do you see any way he would play inside or do you think he is strictly WLB? 

32 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

I guess only times will tell, if he works on the tackling I think he can be a stud especially if Quinn works with him on rushing the passer as well, do you see any way he would play inside or do you think he is strictly WLB? 

No I don't I see on certain downs he could probably play all 3 LBing spots dependant on how DQ would like to use him he's basically another moveable piece.

Billings is probably the best impact player we could draft at 17. You have to double team him every time he's on the line. This would unleash Scooby Wright, who has elite instincts that make up for his lack of timed speed. His production was the best in the history of college linebackers. I like Karl Joseph the best at safety if he's healthy. Would love to see these three guys taken by the Falcons. Nice draft.

23 minutes ago, Power I said:

I don't have a problem with the draft, I just have a problem with thinking the rookies will beat out Spoon, Worrilow, and Wheeler. It won't happen. Those picks will be for immediate depth and future starters. 

absolutely. I think its safe to assume we will not start two rookie linebackers day 1. but we can hope they can take over by the bye week

37 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

Personally I love the Wright pick. I'd much rather get him mid draft than get Ragland in the first.  Scooby may be less of a sure thing,  but i feel that there's more potential with this option. I really like the rest too,  but i feel like Scooby isn't getting enough attention as a potential pick for us. 

Big thumbs up there. Why buy Rags in the first when you can get similar quality with Scooby later on? i think he will go in the third.

I would be happy with this mock. I'm curious to see how we handle the NT position. Surely we aren't going to go with just MBU and aint no way Jarret is going to bulk up and play NT. Or atlas i wouldn't think so. Billings surely would fix that issue, but is that spot worth the #17th pick in the draft? I don't know. 

Don't need to elaborate on why Jones is a good pick. 

And Killebrew is one of the many SS's who can play.

Don't care for Wright a whole lot though. 

I really like this draft. I think Billings is the best NT in this draft. He has elite strength and forces two people to block him in run downs as well as being able to split and penetrate on passing downs. I really think he could be a NT that could have some pocket collapsing value if the offense passed while he was out there.

He also is only 20 years old currently and will have many years to develop his techniques as well as growing up to his full strength level. He has immediate value and upside. I'd take him in a second.

I would Love Killbrew for sure... but I can see the guy getting ejected from a few games with those sideline hits. Team him up with weatherspoon and def would have a couple of guys that isn't afraid to show there character. Can see him causing a few Divisional free for alls Crushing brees or Cam by the sideline hehe. I would Love to see it but I can see him getting ejected a few games for sure with that play... Lets grab him for sure though the guy is punishing for sure.