Looking at DE, starting to warm up on Oakman

isproab

I have to say that during the season I was disappointed by the sack totals that Shawn Oakman put up. 4.5 in 2015 when he has 11 in 2014.  The thing that jumps out is that the guy still made a ton of tackles for loss.  Every year at Baylor he has been double digits.  12.5 in 2013, 19.5 in 2014 and 14.5 in 2015.  Those numbers are not lost on me and I don't think they are on NFL scouts.

When I read Oakman's combine write-up, it is one of the only ones on a DE that sounds as if they really think the guy has a spot in the NFL and will be really good.  Looking at what the "Bottom Line" comments are on him, they talk about his ability to set the "hard edge" as being "no-joke".  So it sounds as if he would be a "beast" against the run and has enough tools to improve as a pass rusher.  His length alone helps him make plays.

The more I look at Lawson, Dodd and Ogbah, the more their flaws stand out.  Lawson doesn't really have the length and isn't an elite athlete.  Ogbah has the size, production and most of the athleticism, but is said to be somewhat stiff and inconsistent in his effort.  Dodd has the size, isn't the athlete that Lawson is, but only has done it for one year.  I think the DE opposite of Beasley needs to be able to help get after the QB, but LDE has traditionally been about stopping the run as well

If the Falcons went Lee/Floyd in round 1 and maybe TE/DT in round 2, I would be all for a DE like Oakman in round 3.  Comments...

BOTTOM LINE

While Oakman was the cause celebre of national media types after images of his tremendous upper body build emerged, he has always been more project than polish as a defensive end. While Oakman has limited upfield burst and no counters as a pass rusher, his length and ability to set a hard edge are no joke and his traits should get him drafted much higher than his tape warrants. Oakman could develop into a better pass rusher, but his lot may already be cast as a run­-stopping 3­-4 DE or 4-­3 base end.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Have you seen him play?

Yes.  I've seen all of these guys play.  I scratch my head when I hear the criticism of a guy like Ogbah about effort, but his numbers are better than most guys in the class.  As far as Oakman, I'm not taking him in round 1 or 2.  I think back to Kony Ealy, great numbers at Missouri, but you could tell he lacked a burst.  Combine proved it, and he has been so-so early, but he had a really good Super Bowl.  I know the DL he is on is talented, but he looks to be headed in the right direction.

1 minute ago, isproab said:

Yes.  I've seen all of these guys play.  I scratch my head when I hear the criticism of a guy like Ogbah about effort, but his numbers are better than most guys in the class.  As far as Oakman, I'm not taking him in round 1 or 2.  I think back to Kony Ealy, great numbers at Missouri, but you could tell he lacked a burst.  Combine proved it, and he has been so-so early, but he had a really good Super Bowl.  I know the DL he is on is talented, but he looks to be headed in the right direction.

When I saw Oakman play (about three games last season) he played too high and got pushed around.  He didn't look like he had that desire to play that dirty-work end like you look for in a run-stopper.  It was kind of startling to see because he is a freak-of-nature looking kind of athlete, but he didn't look good at all from what I saw.  And the Falcons already a couple of guys who fill the role you described he would play here.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about here.  He had a sack in this game, which looked nice, even though the tackled looked a little slow out of his stance, and he had another pressure where he just straight pushed his guy to the ground that lead to a turnover.  But far too often, he just got straight handled.  He got turned, which is a big no-no, he got taken off his feet, and he couldn't shed to save his life, even against a tight end who stood him up one time.

It's not all bad.  There were a couple of times he used his long arms really nice and Baylor slants their defensive line and calls a fair amount of stunts so some of that stuff early where he got washed down wasn't on him, but from this, and what I saw in a few other games, he is going to struggle at the next level.

All that being said, if I'm being honest, I would be tempted.

5 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Have you seen him play? I have and based on what I saw I would obviously take him in the 1st, obviously.

5 hours ago, atlGM said:

Yessssssssss

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

Shawn Oakman in the 1st.  

4 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

Who? This guy?

051915-SW-CFB-Shawn-Oakman-PI.vresize.12

Oh, baby.

3 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

What are two things that go together.

Kool-aid mix and water.

Shawn Oakman and NFL Hall of Fame.