Jump to content

Shaq Lawson is basically Upshaw 2.0


Macintez
 Share

Recommended Posts

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Built like a tank with thickly muscled legs and a broad chest. Clemson played him at 5-­technique and standing up on the outside. Scheme versatile and will likely appeal to be 3­-4 and 4-­3 teams. Very powerful at the point of attack. Able to punch, extend arms and control the line of scrimmage or set a hard edge. Able to shock and shed blockers and has the hand quickness to staggered block attempts. Power allows him to play on other side of the line. Finished second in the nation in "stuffs" for defensive linemen with 17. Comes off ball low and with forward lean into his rush. Has frame to handle a double team. Has plus instincts and feel for the game. Toughness in full display.

Weaknesses

Thickly bound with very average flexibility. Average athlete for an end position. Not a natural hip bender and will have to focus on keeping pad level lower to unlock his leverage potential. Shows obvious signs of fatigue as game wears on. At times, is too content to lean on blocks when play isnt run to his side rather than working to discard. Will have snaps where he seems more concerned with imposing his will on blocking rather than diagnosing the play. Doesnt have the bend or upper body flexion to be edge turner as pass rusher. Effort sacks will diminish in pros and will need to become more nuanced pass rusher.

Sources Tell Us

"I see Shaq as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He's not the guy you want to turn loose against the quarterback, but he is the guy that will make it hard for tight ends to block him in the run game. We knew we couldnt run at him and it changed how we called plays." -- ACC offensive coach

 
NFL Comparison

Courtney Upshaw

 
Bottom Line

Productive backup for two years before putting together an All­-American season in his first year as a full- time starter. Lawson is built like a full­-grown man and combines his instincts, toughness and power to fill up a stat sheet and set an early tone. Lawson's frame and game are easily translatable to the NFL, but his average athleticism and pass rush skills will likely have teams viewing him as a 3­-4 edge setter or a 4-­3 base end. Lawson may also have value as 3­-4 defensive tackle in an upfield scheme.

 

I'll pass... Dodd is a better pro prospect than him and he played on the left side. We don't need another run defender with pass rushing potential. Give me a pass rusher with the measurables needed to excel at the position please.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, .WORzone said:

I guess if you assume that you can't be a DE that gets to the QB mainly with power. 

Charles Johnson doesn't like this analysis. 

6'2... Short Arms, not an elite athlete. In the majority of mocks AND draft boards Dodd is the higher rated prospect. I want a DT or LB in the first but if it comes down to Dodd or Lawson give me Dodd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Macintez said:

6'2... Short Arms, not an elite athlete. In the majority of mocks AND draft boards Dodd is the higher rated prospect. I want a DT or LB in the first but if it comes down to Dodd or Lawson give me Dodd.

If he's got that many problems how did he outperform Dodd nearly 5 to 1 over their careers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, .WORzone said:

If he's got that many problems how did he outperform Dodd nearly 5 to 1 over their careers? 

That production won't translate to the NFL. His skill set is what evaluators are looking at not stats. Watt didn't exactly set the college ranks on fire with his stats but he had phenomenal skill set and measurables that translated to the pro game. It was just a matter of getting with a scheme that maximized it. Shaq is a base end, which is primarily for run stoppers. That's cool, but we have enough of those. Get me somebody with a high pass rushing ceiling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a horrible analysis. It's made all the worse by the joke of suggesting that Dodd's the better athlete.

Lawson's a better athlete in every single category. Do some actual research before suggesting this silliness.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123979&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=122753&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Every time someone suggests Dodd is more athletic than Lawson a puppy is orphaned, remember this

Dodd is the one more suited to OLB imo. It's also why I don't really see the Saints grabbing him before us. I don't really think that he fits at either 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, hjerry said:

What a horrible analysis. It's made all the worse by the joke of suggesting that Dodd's the better athlete.

Lawson's a better athlete in every single category. Do some actual research before suggesting this silliness.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123979&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=122753&draftyear=2016&genpos=DE

Oh gawd a few 10ths of a second... I didn't say Dodd was more athletic than Lawson. Dodd's skill set translates better. Plus he's two inches taller and weighs 10 pounds more with better intangibles and awareness (IMO). He's bigger with the potential to be stronger and is more flexible with a HIGHER UPSIDE!! Go to every draft site on the Web and they will agree. This is not solely about athleticism but how skill sets will translate to the next level. Dodd's game translates better than Lawson's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

I don't think they're hiring in your area right now.

He'd be a bad employee anyway, always complaining that the meat on the ends of the sandwich isn't up to his standards but, only that meat because the END meat is the important meat. LOL /purp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Macintez said:

 He's bigger with the potential to be stronger and is more flexible with a HIGHER UPSIDE!! Go to every draft site on the Web and they will agree. 

Actually, that BS. The links that I provided are to one of the oldest and most respected draft sites on the web, and they don't. Neither does SBnation or PFF, and that's just some big ones off the top of my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

And CJ went in round 3 for those reasons. I would gladly take Lawson in round 3. :)

reminds me more of Suggs he has that dog em something that can't be tought. I ilke Jordan Jenkins in the third as sleeper though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Actually, that BS. The links that I provided are to one of the oldest and most respected draft sites on the web, and they don't. Neither does SBnation or PFF, and that's just some big ones off the top of my head.

NFL.com, NFL Draft Geek.com, and Walterfootball.com all have him as the better prospect for good reason. 

"• Played on a stacked Clemson line that pushed a handful of cleanup sacks his way"

 

From your good friends a PFF. Dodd was responsible for a lot of those clean up sacks. Lawson would be better on a team that already has a star pass rush. He is not a game changer by himself. He's a supplementer. Dodd has a ton of upside. 

Edited by Macintez
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Macintez said:

NFL.com, NFL Draft Geek.com, and Walterfootball.com all have him as the better prospect for good reason. 

"• Played on a stacked Clemson line that pushed a handful of cleanup sacks his way"

 

From your good friends a PFF. Dodd was responsible for a lot of those clean up sacks.

I think Dodd benefited from playing across from Lawson more than it being the other way around. He was just too inconsistent to be a first round selection for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...