Credit Where Credit is Due . . . Dimitroff Rocked out of the Gate!!!!

HolyMoses

We remember Matt Ryan and Harry Douglas from Dimitroff's first draft, and of course signing Michael Turner as a Free Agent, but reading this article about the worst Free Agent Signings for Each Franchise gave me further appreciation for Thomas's start:  

First, Dominique Foxworth make's the list for the Ravens, who paid an obscene amount for the cornerback after he had a stellar year for the Falcons in 2008  The Falcons  traded a 7th rounder for him and paid him squat.  Foxsworth might have gone to Harvard Business School after his retirement as a player, but he'll never find the kind of return on investment Dimitroff scored signing him off the trash heap.  Of course, Dimitroff let him go as a free agent the following year, which turned out to be a pretty shrewd move, apparently. 

Next, you see our old friend DeAngelo Hall for the Raiders . . . in 2008.  There was a need for Foxworth because Dimitroff wanted no part with the supremely talented but undisciplined and under performing Hall.  Again, smart move.  He was released halfway into the season by the Raiders . . . He somehow managed to score another huge payday from the Redskins, where he has toiled largely in obscure mediocrity . . . . And maybe one playoff game?  (Note, Jay Cutler is so awful he managed to get Hall into the Hall of Fame.)

Unfortunately, for the Falcons, Ray Edwards makes the list . . . . but that was a few years later.

But the lesson was learned early:  Dimitroff knows his corners . . .He got McClain and Grimes on the cheap (and made them very wealthy with other teams.)  More recently, Trufon is a keeper and I think the Jury is still out on Alford and Collins.

Defensive Ends . . . . not so much!

And let's not get started on Offensive Linemen . . . Was Same Baker as good as it ever got?  Let's hope Jake Mathews proves otherwise.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayer1 said:

Etched in my memory is "MeAngelo" sliding to his knees with both arm raised after an interception when we are losing  badly. Remember when he tried to jump the pile and was slaughtered by an o-lineman? His team mates turned their heads and walked away.

What about the three personal fouls in a single drive?  A CRUCIAL drive in a CRUCIAL game, which we lost, as I recall?

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

And all of his interceptions really seemed like he was in the right place at the right time 

Thank you, I had always said that Deangelo Hall is a freaking leprechaun.  I have never seen a CB so lucky in my entire life.  I remember watching a highlight vid of his and there were two plays where he was clearly beaten but the ball was thrown behind the receiver straight to him.   

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Dimitroff had nothing to do with Grimes coming to the ATL...So there is that pesky fact.

2007, 2 games . . . I honestly didn't realize he had been around for that long.

Of course, he wasn't exactly setting the Dome on fire in 2007, so some credit, he obviously had something to do with spotting the talent and KEEPING him here.

6 hours ago, holymoses said:

2007, 2 games . . . I honestly didn't realize he had been around for that long.

Of course, he wasn't exactly setting the Dome on fire in 2007, so some credit, he obviously had something to do with spotting the talent and KEEPING him.

I've always been TDs biggest fan.  You would have to been a fan for 40 years like me to understand how bad our drafts were before He got here... to appreciate what he has done.. And the good thing, he's learning and improving every year. Most teams can't get anywhere because they fire their Coaches and GMs every other year..  Aren't you glad they didn't throw  you out of school until you learned how to Graduate ????? HUhhhhhhhhhh????

8 hours ago, holymoses said:

What about the three personal fouls in a single drive?  A CRUCIAL drive in a CRUCIAL game, which we lost, as I recall?

Not sure a Week 3 game in a 4-win season was crucial on any level. Happened early in the 3rd Quarter and only allowed the Panthers to tie. The Falcons crapped the bed the rest of the way.

That said, Hall was a major idiot.

13 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

And by the way... We had the best FAcy pick ups in the history of this team this year and in the NFL... Thanks to TD ....  I feel sorry for fans who think TD is not one of the best.. You are either misinformed or don't know Football .

There is legit arguments on both sides but your analysis above is blatant homerism my friend.  

21 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I've always been TDs biggest fan.  You would have to been a fan for 40 years like me to understand how bad our drafts were before He got here... to appreciate what he has done.. And the good thing, he's learning and improving every year. Most teams can't get anywhere because they fire their Coaches and GMs every other year..  Aren't you glad they didn't throw  you out of school until you learned how to Graduate ????? HUhhhhhhhhhh????

But you're just a great guy:tiphat:

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There is legit arguments on both sides but your analysis above is blatant home risk my friend.

I don't have a clue what you mean,, all I know is I have come to understand why I've stayed in Draft and FA threads,, Nobody in TATF sees the truth. Negative people... Never seen so many negative fans.  I guess that TATF boards should be changed to Rant about the Falcons Board..  or RATF boards.. :ninja:  All I can say is I'm glad I am a positive person.. And can see what Arthur Blank is doing very well.  

30 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I don't have a clue what you mean,, all I know is I have come to understand why I've stayed in Draft and FA threads,, Nobody in TATF sees the truth. Negative people... Never seen so many negative fans.  I guess that TATF boards should be changed to Rant about the Falcons Board..  or RATF boards.. :ninja:  All I can say is I'm glad I am a positive person.. And can see what Arthur Blank is doing very well.  

What I mean is Dimitroff's 8yr results are very mixed.  He made the right call on Matt Ryan with the first pick and his tenure continues because of that wise choice.  Dimitroff took 2010-2012 off outside of Julio.

Your standard is Dimitroff is the best GM inFalcon's history.  Everytime you say 40yr fan it gives your perspective  away.  No doubt, TD is best GM in Falcons history - kind of like being the tallest midget in the room.

I give TD his props for what he got right but I don't overlook what he ducked up either.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What I mean is Dimitroff's 8yr results are very mixed.  He made the right call on Matt Ryan with the first pick and his tenure continues because of that wise choice.  Dimitroff took 2010-2012 off outside of Julio.

Your standard is Dimitroff is the best GM inFalcon's history.  Everytime you say 40yr fan it gives your perspective  away.  No doubt, TD is best GM in Falcons history - kind of like being the tallest midget in the room.

I give TD his props for what he got right but I don't overlook what he ducked up either.

What do you have against midgets?

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

Not sure a Week 3 game in a 4-win season was crucial on any level. Happened early in the 3rd Quarter and only allowed the Panthers to tie. The Falcons crapped the bed the rest of the way.

That said, Hall was a major idiot.

Wasn't that the game him and Steve Smith both went full mongoloid? I was kind of hoping they would simultaneously rip each other's heads off.