Who am I?

This is his scouting report... (Strengths are all things you can't coach, weaknesses are all in line with bad coaching, bad technique. Basically he's a mold of clay who is also a freak athlete)  

STRENGTHS: Looks the part in pads with near defensive end size, but he is a coordinated athlete on his feet, playing comfortable in space. He has smooth body control and flexible ankles with the read/react instincts to break quickly on the ball. Never lets up with consistent hustle through the whistle each snap.

___________ settled in with more reps and started to play with less hesitation and more urgency throughout the week of practices at the Shrine Game, showing improvement from practice to practice.

WEAKNESSES: Tends to overrun his angles. Inconsistent in diagnosing plays, and has room to become a better finisher at the tackle point. Wasted steps in pursuit and needs a moment to digest everything. Tunnel vision and doesn't understand pace, struggling to anticipate play design. Needs to be more consistent as a finisher once he makes contact.

IN OUR VIEW: A prospect who certainly passes the eye test, ___________ looks like he was built with a NFL starter kit due to his tall, well-built frame and the athleticism to play downhill or cover in space. His long strides allow him to stretch his range and cover a lot of ground, but his inconsistent diagnose skills during live game action will be the key to whether or not ____________ is a future NFL starter or a simply a backup.

Combine:

40: 4.58

20: 2.71

10: 1.64 (insane)

Bench: 16

Vertical: 34'

Broad: 9'8"

3 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

De'Vondre Campbell. He is extremely raw, good straight line athlete but struggles changing direction. With the right coaching he could develop into someone like KJ Wright. 

Struggles to change direction, where did you see that? He looks smooth, loose hips, where did you see or read that?

5 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

De'Vondre Campbell. He is extremely raw, good straight line athlete but struggles changing direction. With the right coaching he could develop into someone like KJ Wright. 

Yeah, your absolutely correct on the extremely raw argument. Dude needs to be coached up but aside from maybe Deion Jones, this dude has the best change of direction skills in the draft at linebacker.

3 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Struggles to change direction, where did you see that? He looks smooth, loose hips, where did you see or read that?

That was my observation watching tape as well as his combine drills. He seems a better straight-line athlete than fluid athlete. He did take a lot a bad angles and he didn't seem to recover very well, maybe it's a read and react thing but I just thought he looked a little stiff. 

I do like him though, he does have a lot of potential. He looks exactly the type of linebacker the Patriots generally go for. 

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

That was my observation watching tape as well as his combine drills. He seems a better straight-line athlete than fluid athlete. He did take a lot a bad angles and he didn't seem to recover very well, maybe it's a read and react thing but I just thought he looked a little stiff. 

I do like him though, he does have a lot of potential. He looks exactly the type of linebacker the Patriots generally go for. 

Yeah, I'm no expert, not even close. Only thing I've seen is his pro day at Minnesota, I remember his combine also, and only 2 game tapes, that's all I've seen. Just now saw a highlight film of him for whatever that's worth.  I could be wrong, which is why I come here, see others opinions, share knowledge.  That's the main thing I don't see when you consider he's a linebacker is stiffness.

Doesn't look stiff to me...

Game Tape for some reason I couldn't find the other one (you can see the raw-ness that jumps out but this dude can move and he changes direction at full speed, for a linebacker that's extremely rare)

Highlight 

1 hour ago, datchrisb1 said:

This is his scouting report... (Strengths are all things you can't coach, weaknesses are all in line with bad coaching, bad technique. Basically he's a mold of clay who is also a freak athlete)  

STRENGTHS: Looks the part in pads with near defensive end size, but he is a coordinated athlete on his feet, playing comfortable in space. He has smooth body control and flexible ankles with the read/react instincts to break quickly on the ball. Never lets up with consistent hustle through the whistle each snap.

___________ settled in with more reps and started to play with less hesitation and more urgency throughout the week of practices at the Shrine Game, showing improvement from practice to practice.

WEAKNESSES: Tends to overrun his angles. Inconsistent in diagnosing plays, and has room to become a better finisher at the tackle point. Wasted steps in pursuit and needs a moment to digest everything. Tunnel vision and doesn't understand pace, struggling to anticipate play design. Needs to be more consistent as a finisher once he makes contact.

IN OUR VIEW: A prospect who certainly passes the eye test, ___________ looks like he was built with a NFL starter kit due to his tall, well-built frame and the athleticism to play downhill or cover in space. His long strides allow him to stretch his range and cover a lot of ground, but his inconsistent diagnose skills during live game action will be the key to whether or not ____________ is a future NFL starter or a simply a backup.

Combine:

40: 4.58

20: 2.71

10: 1.64 (insane)

Bench: 16

Vertical: 34'

Broad: 9'8"

The 400 pound tight end from Baylor??

• 3 weeks later...

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/devondre-campbell-vs-michigan-2015/

I don't care what anybody says, this dude has more potential than any linebacker coming out in my opinion. He has the bulk to stack and shed, wonderful feet, loose hips to change direction easily, can run with wide receivers and tight ends. He can take on a guard and still make the tackle. He closes just as fast as Lee. Only thing he lacks is some bad technique when he breaks down and he's late diagnosing plays. He looks lost A LOT of times, but he's playing at Minnesota, who knows what type of coaching he's getting there. He's a FLUID 4.5 guy at 6'5 240 lb and plays that fast, I mean someone with similiar "stuff" would be Brian Urlacker. Dude needs coaching that's it man. Forget Darron Lee, I would go as far as the second round on this guy just off off potential.

Edited by datchrisb1

Yeah, that's Clay Matthews vicinity athletic testing.

All comes down to how he hits it on the field.  Worth a late round.  These are the type of guys I like late...because they have the athleticism for special teams and the potential upside to be a useful piece.  Be good if we had a couple 5ths.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...