Matt Ryan is taking charge - just what is needed to build a team of winners.

Rohn

The players only passing camp in Miami is exactly what this team needs.

Kudo's to Matt Ryan for stepping up - this is what builds leaders who are ready to win.

This year it is Matt Ryan telling Shanahan - I like this play or not.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Ewok said:

Too bad that's not how it works.  

Later in the season, as Ryan got more comfortable in the O, He did audible out of calls so to some degree it he does have a say so in what plays are ran. As any veteran NFL QB that has been in the league for around ten years should.

8 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Later in the season, as Ryan got more comfortable in the O, He did audible out of calls so to some degree it he does have a say so in what plays are ran. As any veteran NFL QB that has been in the league for around ten years should.

Ryan has more "power" than Dan Quinn. At the end of the day, any owner would save their franchise quarterback over a GM or HC

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I hope I am wrong, but I think Ryan is too much of a "go along, with the get along" type of guy. And that is holding him back from being as good as he can be. 

I'd be lying if i said that thought hadn't crossed my mind.  I think another part of it is that he's actually pretty competitive and confident.  I believe he thinks that he CAN make it work in this system. I think he wants to prove it too. 

Just now, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I'd be lying if i said that thought hadn't crossed my mind.  I think another part of it is that he's actually pretty competitive and confident.  I believe he thinks that he CAN make it work in this system. I think he wants to prove it too. 

And I have Seen that very thing happen! You are VERY correct on that one!

As someone who has been a frequent critic of Ryan, one of the pillars of my stance has been that Ryan has not done enough in the position he's in to make the Falcons HIS team.  The type of leadership that makes the entire organization accountable to him 24/7/365.

Setting this up and driving this not only helps from a continuing to better yourself as an offense and the individuals the comprise it, but my suspicion is that a move to get 25-30 guys involved at an off-site (instead of local) helps to breed camaraderie and familiarity with each other as well.  Ryan mentioned in the exit interview with Finneran that it being a young team, something like this was a good idea.  But that applies to chemistry as well and with Ryan putting this together, to me that's a positive sign of him being proactive in setting the tone/atmosphere of the organization.

1 minute ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Well the bad thing is everything I've read and all the QBS who have played in a West Coast offense all say it takes 3 years to get it down and play well in it.

So Im hoping Matt gets it early.

As long as he is "better" in it this year than last and cuts down on those "WTF" int's to a wide open LBs with, I will take that!

11 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

It's not anything special or new.  It's just that now it's so needed. 

I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. After reading the thread from yesterday it would seem that this is the first time they've ever gotten together before training camp. 

7 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Well the bad thing is everything I've read and all the QBS who have played in a West Coast offense all say it takes 3 years to get it down and play well in it.

How many years did it take Brian hoyer. He looked Damm good a couple years ago under Shanahan 

22 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

As long as he is "better" in it this year than last and cuts down on those "WTF" int's to a wide open LBs with, I will take that!

Yeah...he played well in the system...he just made too many mistakes and he hesitated because he wasnt quite sure of what he was seeing. If he cuts that down....he could throw for 5000 yards this year...its a natural progression

26 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

That's what I was saying, they almost fired Todd Haley after his 1st year in Pitt but stuck it out and their offense is amazing now because of it

1 minute ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Yeah...he played well in the system...he just made too many mistakes and he hesitated because he wasnt quite sure of what he was seeing. If he cuts that down....he could throw for 5000 yards this year...its a natural progression

That word "progression" is where I think/hope he improves! That is the key word!! Definitely.

18 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just thought about something. Hasn't Matt been inviting them the past few years and paying for everything. I could be wrong but I don't think this is anything new

Asides from his rookie year, I haven't heard of any off-season work with receivers during his tenure here. We usually hear reports of him doing his own workout regimen (which is good).

I might be wrong but I've always felt that, veterans or not, Matt should be demanding a passing camp from his receivers every off-season regardless if it's voluntary. I think that would have helped tremendously with increasing his scoring chances in the red zone and connecting more on 50/50 balls with roddy and Julio in the deep attack during previous years.

It always drove me nuts to always see us in scoring position often only to come out of it with fgs towards the back end of the season when we are out of new red zone and trick plays. How do you have roddy on one side and Julio on the other but the fade goes to Harry Douglas? One thing Matt did well was using Tony Gonzalez correctly but it's a crime that Julio or roddy didn't get as many opportunities in that part of the field. 

Remember Matt's rookie season. All he had was Turner and Roddy. Any time roddy was one on one deep or red zone, he threw a good 50/50 ball for roddy to make the play. The defense knew that was all we had and yet couldn't stop it. That trust was established during private extra work he and Roddy put in.

That's why I've always been shocked this didn't become the norm each off-season for the team. I might be wrong and if I am, disregard everything I said. 

3 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Asides from his rookie year, I haven't heard of any off-season work with receivers during his tenure here. We usually hear reports of him doing his own workout regimen (which is good).

I might be wrong but I've always felt that, veterans or not, Matt should be demanding a passing camp from his receivers every off-season regardless if it's voluntary. I think that would have helped tremendously with increasing his scoring chances in the red zone and connecting more on 50/50 balls with roddy and Julio in the deep attack during previous years.

It always drove me nuts to always see us in scoring position often only to come out of it with fgs towards the back end of the season when we are out of new red zone and trick plays. How do you have roddy on one side and Julio on the other but the fade goes to Harry Douglas? One thing Matt did well was using Tony Gonzalez correctly but it's a crime that Julio or roddy didn't get as many opportunities in that part of the field. 

Remember Matt's rookie season. All he had was Turner and Roddy. Any time roddy was one on one deep or red zone, he threw a good 50/50 ball for roddy to make the play. The defense knew that was all we had and yet couldn't stop it. That trust was established during private extra work he and Roddy put in.

That's why I've always been shocked this didn't become the norm each off-season for the team. I might be wrong and if I am, disregard everything I said. 

I only read the first part and stopped reading. There has been. You're free to look it up if you want. 

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I only read the first part and stopped reading. There has been. You're free to look it up if you want. 

Yeah, I did the same thing.. It "May" not have been EVERY off season(I know a couple of years he had rehab)  but he has worked out with a group more times than not.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I have followed the team every off-season and don't post here much. I mostly love reading everyone's view points and contributions. I actually love reading your posts. You're very insightful. Unless I missed something, I googled any news regarding profits years asides from rookie year regarding any private passing camp with receivers but can't find any. If you don't mind can you share? If not, it's not a big deal. I'm just confused at how our Julio Jones is always at the bottom in red zone targets every year. 

Every time they ask Matt about it, he usually respond with something along the line of 'that's what the defense dictated to us'. In the meantime I'm looking at other to wide receiver in the league's, doubled or not, get targets in those same tight windows every year. He did this a lot with roddy his rookie year.

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

My guess is he audibled to some Smitty era plays that were designed to go to Roddy. Roddy converted and so Shanny made sure he wasn't here to prevent Ryan from calling plays that were not in his playbook. But, that's probably still me being angry at the whole Roddy/Shanny thing.