My Perfect Draft

MagnusXXIII

1. Leonard Floyd - OLB (6'6", 244, 4.59sec) - finally an OLB that can cover underneath
2. Chris Jones - DT (6'6", 310lbs, 4.88sec) - very fast and powerful DT, not much drop-off after A'shawn
3. Bronson Kaufusi - DE (6'6", 287, 4.87sec) - hyped of late so concerned he may be taken earlier than expected ... tremendous upside as a traditional strong side DE
4. Jayron Kearse - SS (6'4", 216, 4.56 sec) - Quinnesqe mid-rounder - good value in the 4th to compete with Ismael
7. Tanner McEvoy - TE/WR/SS/QB (6'5", 230, 4.57 sec) - versatile athlete that can compete for a spot at a few positions. Worth a 7th as a special teamer that could become a swiss army knife.

2 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

1. Leonard Floyd - OLB (6'6", 244, 4.59sec) - finally an OLB that can cover underneath
2. Chris Jones - DT (6'6", 310lbs, 4.88sec) - very fast and powerful DT, not much drop-off after A'shawn
3. Bronson Kaufusi - DE (6'6", 287, 4.87sec) - hyped of late so concerned he may be taken earlier than expected ... tremendous upside as a traditional strong side D
4. Jayron Kearse - SS (6'4", 216, 4.56 sec) - Quinnesqe mid-rounder - good value in the 4th to compete with Ismael
7. Tanner McEvoy - TE/WR/SS/QB (6'5", 230, 4.57 sec) - versatile athlete that can compete for a spot at a few positions. Worth a 7th as a special teamer that could become a swiss army knife.

I agree with this

I like it. I like picking a guy like McEvoy in the seventh with more of a chance to stick around. First and foremost as a st guy as mentioned. 

I'll add that if a guy like Terence Smith falls to the seventh I'll gladly take him.  I'd even consider him a little earlier than that. 

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

You guys need to watch some actual film on floyd and not the just the highlights he is freeking WR playing Defense he will not play linebacker against grown men in the nfl.

Watch this game and tell me he can actually shed blocks and make sound tackles the guy we need from Georgia is Jordan Jenkins. 260 lb de with agility.

19 minutes ago, atlGM said:

You guys need to watch some actual film on floyd and not the just the highlights he is freeking WR playing Defense he will not play linebacker against grown men in the nfl.

Watch this game and tell me he can actually shed blocks and make sound tackles the guy we need from Georgia is Jordan Jenkins. 260 lb de with agility.

I actually think that video shows very very few occasions that support your point.  I've watched that tape like 4 times before too.  If i see any potential issues,  it's going to be taking on full backs head on. As far as the block shedding I think he's decent in college,  and will probably have some improving to do in the pros,  but who doesn't.  His arm length and agility keeps him off blocks actually very well from my view.  Keep in mind this guy is 6'6. He's absolutely going to be putting on more weight.  I don't see what you see though.    I actually think he's well equipped to handle blocks. Once this guy fills out, were going to be looking at a very unique player imo. The type of guy that if he develops well,  will have other teams looking for the next Floyd.  I'm not even a uga fan really either. Plus if he doesn't work out on the inside,  you still have a premier talent edge rushing prospect.  I also think he can tackle fairly well, and with pro coaching will be even better.

9 hours ago, atlGM said:

We have Upshaw now and hopefully a healthy Reed. We really need a rangy, lengthy, speedy guy with hops to cover larger WRs and TEs while being competent against the run.

Good work. Remember Floyd is 6:6. Cam I'd what 6:5, Jamis is tall too. I think having Floyd lenght wI'll help us on the edge and at LB. He has the frame to put on more weight if needed. Worrilow and Upshaw can take on blockers. Give me Floyd! I would take Jenkins too in the 3rd or 4th.

1 hour ago, atlGM said:

Naturally a lot of discussion has filtered down to Floyd or Lee.  If there's a guy who can't get off blocks or is hesitant to get gritty it's Lee in my eyes. Floyd is far more physical in my small opinion. 

Floyd plays with much more aggression but his body type doesn't allow him to actually follow thru on that aggression. Just watch the game film he isn't what you want at linebacker . Situational pass rusher yes but everydown no

52 minutes ago, atlGM said:

Floyd plays with much more aggression but his body type doesn't allow him to actually follow thru on that aggression. Just watch the game film he isn't what you want at linebacker . Situational pass rusher yes but everydown no

your grudge against floyd is puzzling to me. He's the 2nd best off-ball LB in this class and the best pure edge rusher. Give me Floyd covering TEs and backs on 1st & 2nd down and then let him put his hand in the dirt and rush opposite Beasley on 3rd & long...or just let him keep covering TEs and backs since he's so good at that too. I mean dude covered slot WRs in college. Let him play Will if you want so he doesn't have as much responsibility against the run as the Mike, but still I want that dude on my team especially given our divisional opponents and their TE/QB situations.

12 minutes ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

But the OP did not mention Lee name whatsoever, nor did anyone else prior to your post.

He didn't I admit it, but I was just voicing my opinion. I'm just saying if we're going to get a Will why not got with Floyd who offers us and explosive pass rusher as well as a LB. something Lee doesn't offer. That's all I was saying 

33 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

your grudge against floyd is puzzling to me. He's the 2nd best off-ball LB in this class and the best pure edge rusher. Give me Floyd covering TEs and backs on 1st & 2nd down and then let him put his hand in the dirt and rush opposite Beasley on 3rd & long...or just let him keep covering TEs and backs since he's so good at that too. I mean dude covered slot WRs in college. Let him play Will if you want so he doesn't have as much responsibility against the run as the Mike, but still I want that dude on my team especially given our divisional opponents and their TE/QB situations.

Preach, dude is so long he would be able to swat balls away from players and all. He is just way too versatile to me for us to no my take him

6 hours ago, atlGM said:

Anyone that watches film on Floyd would definitely want to draft him. I'm not feeling your logic. Don't hate the man just because he's not thicker.

Oh and @MagnusXXIII I'm still weary about the idea of mocking Chris Jones anywhere. He might still go in the 1st round if teams don't care about his arrest, or if they see a major character flaw he could drop significantly further. I just don't know what to make of him. Love the Floyd & Kaufusi picks tho.

3 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Oh and @MagnusXXIII I'm still weary about the idea of mocking Chris Jones anywhere. He might still go in the 1st round if teams don't care about his arrest, or if they see a major character flaw he could drop significantly further. I just don't know what to make of him. Love the Floyd & Kaufusi picks tho.

Not sure I understand your point. Is it unrealistic he'd be there for us in the second? 

Regardless of the arrest for driving with a suspended license, there is a cluster of talented DTs in our 2nd round draft range. Probably 4 others simililary rated. He fits our needs best. Hopefully other teams are looking for three-techs. 

Regardless, DTs in the second round looks like the best value proposition in this year's draft.

10 hours ago, Kayoh said:

this exert from nfl.com's scouting report sums up Floyd's game imo . 

WEAKNESSES

All thin everything. Gangly frame produces marginal play strength. Built like a wide receiver and needs to live in a team cafeteria and weight room. Not an edge-­setter. Gets long arms into defender effectively, but struggles to gain extension. Loses fight for neutral zone at point of attack. Issues shedding blocks forces him into downfield tackler rather than backfield playmaker. Drag-­down tackler with little pop behind pads as a hitter. Must work to keep pad level lower on inside rush move.

Can he cover Te's yes the problem is he's not going to have that assignment every play.In run situations he will be a liability and in order to get into pass rushing situations you have to stop the run first.