Draftnut57 2016 Mock Draft

Draftnut57

1. DE Emmanuel Ogbah 6-3, 275, Oklahoma St.  {24 sacks the last two seasons} 

2. WR Michael Thomas 6-3, 210, Ohio St.  {18 TDs Last 2 years}

3. DT Javon Hargrove 6-1, 300, South Carolina State {29.5 sacks Last 2 years}

4. G/T Denver Kirkland 6-5, 340, Arkansas {Massive Guard to anchor the Middle}

7. TE Darrin Griswold 6-5, 265, Arkansas St. {Converted HS QB, Raw with upside}

I'm curious...why WR so early? I can appreciate it being different but we sorely need LB and SS.

I can tell the FO is looking for a specific SS and if they don't get it then they will look for a veteran in FA so I can see that if the right one isn't there.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

12 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Draftnut, what role do you see Ogbah playing in our defense that makes him worth taking at 17th overall?

realistically it would be RDE/Leo when we rush Beasley from the SLB strong side similar to how Denver used Von in the superbowl

2 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Reed maybe but Upshaw isn't an off-ball LB. He's more DE than LB so his only position in our defense is Sam.

not saying it works, just giving my 2 cents on how he would fit if we did draft Ogbah, at least in my mind

hes not a 5 tech or a SLB, pretty much RDE only. 

1 minute ago, Romfal said:

not saying it works, just giving my 2 cents on how he would fit if we did draft Ogbah, at least in my mind

hes not a 5 tech or a SLB, pretty much RDE only. 

his size & athletic profile are both more indicative of a 5 tech than LEO tbh

1 minute ago, Kayoh said:

his size & athletic profile are both more indicative of a 5 tech than LEO tbh

well I guess then where do you play Shelby and Clayborn and T Jax?

I honestly don't see us drafting DE in the first 2 rounds and maybe its a good thing considering the class is very mediocre

Just now, Romfal said:

well I guess then where do you play Shelby and Clayborn and T Jax?

I honestly don't see us drafting DE in the first 2 rounds and maybe its a good thing considering the class is very mediocre

that's kinda what I was working my way around to. I'm gonna make a topic. It won't help but I'll at least feel better having something to point people to who make mocks where they want us to take a 1st rd DE.

10 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

that's kinda what I was working my way around to. I'm gonna make a topic. It won't help but I'll at least feel better having something to point people to who make mocks where they want us to take a 1st rd DE.

Do you think we are transitioning anyone to mostly full time 1-tech to compete with/ start in front of Mbu?

4 hours ago, Kayoh said:

You know having to many good players at a position isn't really a problem and in this teams case it would be a revelation.

Let the best man win and then you have a solid backup plan, as opposed to what we normally have, a player we expect to have a good / great season gets an injury and then a replacement player below replacement level takes his spot. Then you get the defense that the Falcons have trotted out for 7 or 8 of the last 10 years.

I understand we still have holes but you have to take the guy that will make the biggest difference and I'm not saying it's Ogbah. I'm just saying if Quinn believes it's Ogbah you have to select him. So far as what Upshaw or Reed do, Upshaw is on a one year deal and Reed is cuttable after this year or might make a fairly cheap decent backup. Year one might be spent rotating Ogbah in and getting him up to NFL speed. I'll leave it to Quinn to find the fit if this is the way they go.

All I'm saying is to much talent at any position is a good problem and not one that this team has had to worry about all that often.

Quinn had a really deep DLine rotation in Seattle, right? Injuries happen too. I don't know what they think of Ogbah, but the idea of having a deep Dline that can be fresh in the fourth quarter appeals to me.

Don't think I'd spend a 2nd on a WR right after signing Sanu-but, it's a really interesting mock.

6 hours ago, Kayoh said:

I do think we need an overall long-term talent upgrade at DE but unless Lawson is there (which appears unlikely) I don't see the reason to take the other DEs on the board at 17. I'm shifting my focus to DT there but I really think trading down is probably the best bet. 

7 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Reed maybe but Upshaw isn't an off-ball LB. He's more DE than LB so his only position in our defense is Sam.

Why are you assuming that Courteney Upshaw is being brought in as anything more than depth/rotation?  We signed him to a 1yr deal for $1mm.  Do players that sign for that get guaranteed  starter positions?

I agree, that we will more likely draft a DT than a DE.

One has to remember that sacks and pressure don't just come from the ends. I know everyone wants to clone Denver, but you can get just as much pressure and disruption from drafting a DT who collapses the pocket.

18 hours ago, Power I said:

I agree, this is one of your best in years Draftnut. 

Thanks Power, I like it, that's all that matters..  If you read the notes at the end of each play you will see these players have the highest production in the last two years of any players in this draft. I started to put Sua Cravens in at 2 but I don't think he'll be there. And I really want WR Micheal Thomas to make sure we have plenty of WRs that can play at a very high level. And in case of an injury to one of our top two WRs. Thomas is a very underrated player. We've got all kinds of D# in FAcy, WE need to solidify our WRs. If we get Thomas we would be in good shape in case of an injury to our starters, Plus Thamas is going to be a star. 

Bottom line , all these players are at the top of their position in PRODUCTION<<<  This is a huge statement.. Just look at what theyve done the last two years. I call these picks , very safe picks. The only player I have any concern with would be the 7th rounder. But we can only do so much with a 7th rounder. If I hadn't of picked the TE, I'd take the best Guard still left on the board. 

17 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Draftnut, what role do you see Ogbah playing in our defense that makes him worth taking at 17th overall?

He's a very powerful Edge rusher.. ( ********24 sacks and 34 TFL and 79 tackles in the last two years..*********) But what amazes me, is that he is just now figuring it out. The guy has not reached his top Floor, he's still learning how to play,, I think he's going to be a Star in the NFL in time. I want him on our team. He's still learning how to play.