Open carry at the RNC convention. What could possibly go wrong?

We had another shooting murder this weekend at out local mall (I've said before that Columbus is a toilet), this mall is right in line with being a gun free zone, complete with posters posted throughout the building announcing itself as such. Funny that the person intent on committing murder did not adhere to that rule.

I doubt the RNC, if it is full of law abiding gun owners will have any problems. I especially doubt that it will be targeted by people who wish to go and in hurt innocent people.

I tend to lean (slightly) right on the issue of guns but honestly yes this seems like an awful idea. I can already picture the headline as some luckless  Trump protestor gets ventilated when some eager beaver with an itchy finger channels his inner Zimmerman and mistakes a dumbass being loud for a terrorist attack

2 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

We had another shooting murder this weekend at out local mall (I've said before that Columbus is a toilet), this mall is right in line with being a gun free zone, complete with posters posted throughout the building announcing itself as such. Funny that the person intent on committing murder did not adhere to that rule.

I doubt the RNC, if it is full of law abiding gun owners will have any problems. I especially doubt that it will be targeted by people who wish to go and in hurt innocent people.

Another feather in Mayor Mom-jeans' cap. 

29 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

We had another shooting murder this weekisnd at our local mall (I've said before that Columbus is a toilet), this mall is right in line with being a gun free zone, complete with posters posted throughout the building announcing itself as such. Funny that the person intent on committing murder did not adhere to that rule.

See I'm with you on personal protection particulary in locations where there is no one to protect you except yourself. But this convention is going to have security akin to a major sporting event and then some. No need for everyone to be packing where some tragic mistake could go wrong, leave the security to the professionals

ON THE OTHER HAND I guess an argument could be made that the GOP should practice what they preach on open carry laws. If its good enough to be put in our lives it should be good enough for thiers.

6 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Another feather in Mayor Mom-jeans' cap. 

It's kind of nice when we agree 100%.

I also learned from her that we no longer have a homeless problem. The tent city and shopping cart pushers all along 2nd Ave, both of which have grown and increased exponentially over the past 5 years, you'll be glad to know, they're just a mirage. The mayor says so.

1 minute ago, silentbob1272 said:

It's kind of nice when we agree 100%.

I also learned from her that we no longer have a homeless problem. The tent city and shopping cart pushers all along 2nd Ave, both of which have grown and increased exponentially over the past 5 years, you'll be glad to know, they're just a mirage. The mayor says so.

She's ridiculous.  There are so many more pan-handlers with signs downtown than there was 2 years ago, and it's next to impossible to walk on Broadway to go grab lunch without having to walk around the true homeless laid out on the benches.

I had one come up to me in front of 12th street deli and try to do the handshake/half hug thing to me, I got the **** out of dodge quickly. 

23 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

Given the possibility that it could be a contested convention, and given the nature of Trump rallies lately, do you honestly think it's a good idea for people to be walking around in that setting with firearms?

For most areas, I have no problem with concealed carry.  I don't have a problem with open carry per se, though I think it's kind of stupid.  Open carry basically tells the bad guys who to shoot first.  

But at what could be the most contentious convention in our lifetimes?  Bad idea.

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Given the possibility that it could be a contested convention, and given the nature of Trump rallies lately, do you honestly think it's a good idea for people to be walking around in that setting with firearms?

For most areas, I have no problem with concealed carry.  I don't have a problem with open carry per se, though I think it's kind of stupid.  Open carry basically tells the bad guys who to shoot first.  

But at what could be the most contentious convention in our lifetimes?  Bad idea.

I do see your point, honestly I do,  but I just don't think legal gun owners have the hair trigger many opponents of theirs think they have. I would wager that the vast majority of those people have had firearms training. If that is the case, the last thing they would do is pull out a gun and start blasting indiscriminately.

Now the people who would ignore gun laws (Gun Free Zone, CC licence) are exactly the type to pull and blast away, as we see evidenced every weekend in cities across the nation.

21 hours ago, silentbob1272 said:

Right, because law abiding citizens usually aren't the ones committing these shootings