It's early but... TC / Quinn Question

Leggggggo

Went looking for articles from TC last year but couldn't find much besides a little blurb here or there, however, I remember a decent emphasis on "Cross Training" players... 

It worked out well in terms of moving Allen from CB to FS, that was a huge benefit...

However, the offensive line obviously didn't pan out as hoped with Person and Stone both struggling in their C / G roles respectively...

So, now that Quinn is in his second season and appears to be clearly building both sides of the ball in concise directions with a ZBS OL, big physical WRs, and the moves we are making on defense, do you feel the "Cross Training" mantra of last year was a byproduct of "making it work with what I have" and will generally not be as important this year? Or is it Quinns way to make sure we have solid, competent coverage if players go down by exposing players to positions not truly suited for their specialized skill sets?  Just asking so I can prepare my befuddlement if/when I see players completely out of their regular positions in TC and Preseason.

1 hour ago, Talen Kylon said:

I think Cross Training is a must. Injuries can and will happen. 

Especially snce it was his first year with the players...he really didnt know what they could do....had to try things just to see...now he knows what guys can do. The new guy will be ones that are tested like that this year....natural progression

Quinn is all about figuring out how to best utilize players, so there will always be some of that.  Not to an absurd degree, but cross-training LBers, CBs, etc. is going to happen.  D-Line and O-Line too.  And some of Quinn's ideas on how to utilize players are unorthodox, like Allen to FS and Southward to CB (one worked, one didn't).  Or Clayborn inside on nickel looks.

They aren't going to have Matt Ryan returning kicks though.

Good topic Legggggo.

It is possible we could potentially see this with a G selection this year.  Either a G/T or G/C type of selection.

I could even see a college C taken and then installed at G in our system until Mack retires or leaves.  Because as of today, we have no true C on the team outside of him if he goes down to injury.

Here are guys I wouldn't be surprised to see us take...

26 Ryan Kelly C 1 Alabama rSr 6-4 311 1-2
63 Nick Martin C 2 Notre Dame rSr 6-4 299 2
108 Jack Allen C 3 Michigan State rSr 6-1 294 3-4
147 Max TuerkInjured C 4 Southern California Sr 6-5 298 4-5
158 Evan Boehm C 5 Missouri Sr 6-2 302 5
236 Austin Blythe C 6 Iowa rSr 6-2 298 6-7
264 Mike Matthews C 7 Texas A&M Sr 6-2 294 7-FA

Feel free to examine any of these guys and decide who fits and who doesn't...

Cross training opens up roster spots because one guy can be the primary back up at multiple positions. Also it makes it easier for the coaches to get their best players on the field.

The disaster last year at C was because we cut our starter and started our back up from week 1.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Quinn is all about figuring out how to best utilize players, so there will always be some of that.  Not to an absurd degree, but cross-training LBers, CBs, etc. is going to happen.  D-Line and O-Line too.  And some of Quinn's ideas on how to utilize players are unorthodox, like Allen to FS and Southward to CB (one worked, one didn't).  Or Clayborn inside on nickel looks.

They aren't going to have Matt Ryan returning kicks though.

This is more of what I was going with, the kind of extreme, or as you put it better "unorthodox", swaps to see how players react. With him bringing in his style of player for his scheme, does it continue to happen and apparently the answer is yes, to a degree.

I realize the G/T and certain LBs will always be swapped around depending on who is active week to week.

Edited by Leggggggo